Is a heater necessary? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
We're ex New Englanders and like to sleep cool, our heater had not worked for about a year and I was too sorry to fix it. In April we did our long thought about trip to the SW and long about May 23 at Bryce Canyon the temp dropped to 23 Deg F and we woke up to 2" of snow, we hadn't seen temps like that in 8 years. I can tell you that the case of the sorries got up and went in a flash and I fixed that thing in a hurry. We don't use it at night but it takes the chill out in the morning. my vote?? install one
Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #22

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Mike:
I also would vote for one. Our Burro came with an Atwood 8012-II which puts out just over 9000 BTU. This is the smallest propane heater I am aware of, and it uses less than 22 watts with the fan at full tilt. The output has always been plenty for us, and that includes some pretty cold temperatures. The small fan in this unit is also quiet enough not to disturb our sleep, and I'm a pretty light sleeper.
The problem may be that this small a unit is not made any more as far as I know, but maybe it can be had used.
I am of the opinion that without it boondocking is not as pleasant as it should be, and the trailer is not as versatile as it could be, so I wouldn't be without it. I do have a propane detector, but I removed the carbon monoxide detector when it became obvious that it malfunctioned badly (went off with no furnace running and no gas under pressure). In my experience the little heater has never malfunctioned, so I have no problem with having it running any time, night or day. I DO listen to and take notice of how it is functioning, especially in the start-up sequence, so if something is amiss I would likely catch it. The most likely problem is if the heat exchanger rusts and causes a leak so the combustion airflow gets mixed up with the inside air. A thorough inspection would probably catch that.
We have never experienced inside condensation here in Oregon or anywhere else, and I think the key is to have the overhead vent cracked open slightly along with a window slightly open. The chimney effect seems to have been enough without losing much of the heat. That said, we do use a built-into-the-wall marine-type electric heater for when we are in a hookup situation and it is very quiet. The digital thermostats also tend to keep a much tighter grip on the temperature fluctuations than the mechanical ones, in my experience.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #23

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
I opted not to have one and haven't even thought about it in last 6 years. If I'm not plugged in, I make a pot of coffee on the stove.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2000 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Looking at it from a different perspective, our "gently loved" Casita came without a furnace. The previous owners wanted the storage space under the sink. We've used a cube heater and/or an electric blanket to keep warm. Looking to the future, we've decided to get a generator instead of a furnace. Costs more but is WAY more versatile. Future plans include boondocking in national parks and we figure being able to be cool in the summer or warm in the winter or run the small microwave if desired is worth the extra cost. Since we're in Texas and can't retire till some time next year, most of our camping is fairly close by = HOT and you need AC a whole lot more than you do heat.

Reine (Paul's other half)
Paul T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Mike:
I also would vote for one. Our Burro came with an Atwood 8012-II which puts out just over 9000 BTU. This is the smallest propane heater I am aware of, and it uses less than 22 watts with the fan at full tilt. The output has always been plenty for us, and that includes some pretty cold temperatures. The small fan in this unit is also quiet enough not to disturb our sleep, and I'm a pretty light sleeper.
The problem may be that this small a unit is not made any more as far as I know, but maybe it can be had used.
I believe the Atwood Everest 8012 II is still available, however it is listed as a 12,000 BTU heater. It does seem to have the lowest fan current of any furnace I have found - 1.8 amps. According to Tammy, this is the furnace used in the Escape trailers. More info on the furnace is at Adventure RV.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #26

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Jon:
I may have been quoting the wrong spec, since my manufacturers writeup lists it at 12,000 BTU Input (heat content of gas used) and 9,120 BTU Output (or effective heat "into" the trailer). I would guess that the difference is due to the heat loss of the exhaust leaving the unit to the outside.
Interesting to hear that the Escape uses the same unit and that it is still available. Bodes well for future repairs/replacement. It seems to do a fine job and I'm quite happy with it.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #27

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel
Raya
What is a Fantastic Fan? (newby egg owner)
Brenda
Brenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #28

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Raya
What is a Fantastic Fan? (newby egg owner)
Brenda
Fantastic Fan with the reverse feature (a must) is one one the best things you could have in a camper.....next to an air conditioner
Joe

Fantastic Fan On Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Vent-4000...5086&sr=8-1
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #29

Trailer: 1977 Boler
Another heater / no heater perspective. Even if you won't use it very often, consider your resale value. If you live anywhere it gets cold, install the heater! We passed over some nice Boler's when we bought ours because they had their furnaces removed. We eventually found a nice one with the original direct vent furnace still operational. Yay!

Mark V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #30

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
We just returned from a rainy, cold (single digits Celcius) weekend in Quebec City. Fine at night with window & ceiling vent cracked open but needed space heater to eliminate morning chill. We had a small electric heater but friend's exterior outlets were already claimed by others. bought a Coleman SportCat Catalytic Heater. A 16 oz. propane cylinder provides about 13-14 hours of heat at 1,500 BTU and it takes little space when stored under the gaucho bench.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #31

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We camped only one night this year with electric hookups. An electric heater is nice, but obviously not useful for us very often.
A furnace is perhaps not essential when the temps dip into the thirties and forties, as they did last week in the mountains, but it sure is nice, especially when getting dressed/undressed/showered.
I would never buy a trailer without a heater, but it all depends on where, and when, you like to camp.
to the poster who wrote about buying a generator to camp in national parks, check the rules. Many do not allow generators at all, many at limited hours. They are disturbing to others, even the quiet ones, camped nearby. We put up with the neighbor's noisy generator at a national park outside DC a week ago for three nights. They had no rules, other than quiet hours (10 pm to 6 am...), so a generator wouldn't even supply heat in that park when you actually want it, at night, when it's coldest.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #32

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I installed a Dickenson Newport propane fireplace, just because I thought it was 'cool' and I wanted it. It came from Fisheries Supply in Seattle, WA.

We love that fireplace as much for the ambiance as for the heat! Even our cat loves to sit in front of it and watch the flames.

The best thing we've found to eliminate condensation is a composting toilet that has a small computer size exhaust fan. Our was a SunMar Compact, but in the meantime two companies have brought out more compact units that are designed for boats and campers. I've got one of them on order. Google "Nature's Head" and "Air Head" and you'll find lots of info, if you are interested.

We saved enough by fixing up a well used, and highly experienced I might add, Scamp that we don't mind spending a lot for some appliance we 'just like'. Both the fireplace and the composting toilet fit into that category! Could I say that our Scamp is "more highly evolved" than most Scamps. Or maybe I could describe it as "known as a nerd, amongst Scamps". :>)

Note: the word "head" is the nautical term for "toilet".
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #33

Trailer: Boler 1300
Registry
Is it possible to see pictures of your fireplace installed?
Willy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #34

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Is it less expensive than any of these?

DickinsonMarine.com - Propane Fireplaces

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Often in these threads about whether a furnace or heater is necessary , I find the phrase really cold in their post . When I look at the member's profile I see Florida , California , Texas , Alabama , ETC. listed. What temperature corresponds or relates to really cold ? To those of us who live in a northern climate 30 to 40 Deg is a nice Spring day. I do not have a furnace in my Scamp and I am pondering whether to install one . Actual temperatures expressed as a number would be helpful

Thanks Steve Dunham
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #36

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Temperature can be relative. I had a busines partner whoe spent 18 months in Antartica. When summer (?) came and it got up to 0 degrees they all went outside in shorts and t-shirts and played football.

Sometime in FL when on the rare occasion it gets down to the 50s, you see people dressed like Nanuk (sp) of the north.

Even temperature can be relative.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #37

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Since I'm often one who chimes in, with a Florida sig, I'll bite. I was raised in Minnesota.
We turn the furnace on (to minimum) when the temps dip into the forties.It rarely runs during the night. Lowest temps camping in this trailer, single digits. I love my furnace.
Is it possible to enjoy a trailer without heat in these temps? Absolutely. Two humans regularly raise the indoor temp in our trailer, without heat, at least 15 degrees, most times more, depends on wind and how many windows I open along with the vent. A thin quilt, and a sheet, and we're toasty warm down to the twenties, without heat, if we add some rolled=up thin blankets or towels at the toe end and backside of the trailer walls as cushions.
It's the undressing/showering/changing times when the furnace is really welcome. A couple minutes of the furnace running makes a huge difference in 60 square feet or so, without beating up the propane supply a lot, in my mind.
I know other people run theirs more. Others, less. I'm just glad to have the choice.

One humid and frosty cold week in Duluth, I ran the furnace in my family's camper in July. It dipped into the high 30's at night, and truly, I think it was more uncomfortable because of the humidity than the teens in the mountains of North Carolina in November.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
We got one of these

Honeywell® HZ-709 Oil Filled Digital Radiator Heater | HoneywellCentral.com

at Lowes for about $40 last year. It is great. Keeps us toasty warm and is absolutely silent. We run it on the lowest setting.

They have had a problem with the thermostat not shutting off. We had also had this happen, but with the unit set at low, it doesn't seem to be a problem. We used it last night at Champoeg and will use it again tonite.

Polonius also makes one:

http://www.best-price.com/product/pe...er/95595479/1/

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Temperature can be relative. I had a busines partner whoe spent 18 months in Antartica. When summer (?) came and it got up to 0 degrees they all went outside in shorts and t-shirts and played football.

Sometime in FL when on the rare occasion it gets down to the 50s, you see people dressed like Nanuk (sp) of the north.

Even temperature can be relative.
When I lived in northern Minnesota, we had a continuos period of 40 some days where the temperature morning, noon or night never rose above 0 DEG F. The first sunny day it got above 0 DEG F we stood outside in tee shirts and sunned ourselves. Norm I understand your point I have relatives in California who think 50 DEG is almost artic. For me an actual temperature gives me a reference point for comparison and makes it easier to make an intelligent decision

Thanks Steve Dunham
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #40

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Try to get the new Atwood 8012, 12000 BTU with a low 1.8 amp draw, perfect for small trailers. Most of the others pull around 3-5 amps.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote