Is a range hood important? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #1

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Is a range hood important?

I just pulled the one out of my scamp with plans to clean it up and paint it. Between the rust spots, cracks, rattly motor, etc., it isn't worth messing with. A new one is $70, no biggie.

How useful/important are they for cooking inside? It's nice having the extra room there with it gone.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Jared most people get rid of them. They are dangerous to your noggin and they visually take up a lot of room.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I agree that they take up space and don't seem to do much good. BUT, they are required by building code. I'd imagine that the steel hood could handle the heat of a flare up better than the wood and fiberglass cabinet. It's one of those things that doesn't get much respect until it does it's job once then it's the greatest thing.

Do some searching around. I think some people have built some decent looking replacements and for cheaper than $70. I remember one or two of those on this forum somewhere.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One of the neatest swaps I've seen of the vent hood and fan was done by Casita Greg. I too think it's important to keep the bottom of the cabinets grease free and the fan moves dampness directly out of the trailer. That's important during certain camping seasons. Check out this direct link: Casita Greg - Hood for 2 Burner Stove
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #5

Registry
Mine didn't come with one from the factory so it must be a newer code requirement. That said there are tons of them for sale at most of the surplus RV sites for cheap. I was feeling left out and was going to get one until I started reading lots of RV forums and saw where most people were taking them out.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
One of the neatest swaps I've seen of the vent hood and fan was done by Casita Greg. I too think it's important to keep the bottom of the cabinets grease free and the fan moves dampness directly out of the trailer. That's important during certain camping seasons. Check out this direct link: Casita Greg - Hood for 2 Burner Stove
That is neat Donna! I have a nice window above my stove top and rarely cook inside, but if I ever have a need that is what I would do.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We cook bacon and eggs inside virtually every day and have yet to feel the need for a vent hood though previous trailers and our motorhome have had one.

As to grease accumulation, with or without a vent, cleaning and maintenance of the cooking area is important. Accumulation of grease on the bottom service of the fiberglass cabinets does not appear to be a problem. Cleaning the innards of the vent always seemed to be a hassle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #8

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Donna D to the rescue.

I knew I had seen something simple put together. It's just a brownie (or similar type) pan, that was painted to match the trailer. Add a couple computer fans to pull smoke/odors/steam and the like out of the camper and you are good.

I know the microwave sits over the location for the stove in my camper and you loose it when the stove is installed. I also noticed in homes with gas ranges that the microwave is not over the stove like so many newer homes with electric ranges. When asked a contractor told me building code is 18 in clearance for electric cook top and 30 in for gas cook top.

If you use the stove more than once in a while I would keep some type of vent in place. Just maybe not something fancy or $$$.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I've never hit my head on mine, and although i do most of my cooking outside, I find it useful to prevent the smoke alarm from going off if I make toast or even boil water.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I removed mine and replaced it with 2-12 volt computer fans. They don't move as much air as the range hood but it's sufficient, and they're totally silent. The old range fan was so noisy I avoided turning it on. My range hood blocked my view such that I had to stoop down just to see what I was cooking. It's much more open now.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I think the cookie sheet and computer fan solution is a clever one. if I decide at some point to get rid of mine, that is how I'd go.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The Trillium 4500's have a window behind the stove. When the Fantastic vent is set to reverse, and the window is open, it acts like a hood fan.
Not sure about the code thing, none of the Trillium 1300's or 4500's have a range hood, including the ones built today.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Mine didn't come with one from the factory so it must be a newer code requirement. That said there are tons of them for sale at most of the surplus RV sites for cheap. I was feeling left out and was going to get one until I started reading lots of RV forums and saw where most people were taking them out.
It is just an option. We ordered a kitchen window instead (can't have both)and like it much better.
If you open the kitchen window and run the Fantastic Fan blowing "IN", it takes the cooking odors out through the window very well,I think much better than the hood fan.
Our Scamp now has nine years of use, with only sporadic use of the stove and no ill effects or cleaning problems at all.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #14

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
One of the neatest swaps I've seen of the vent hood and fan was done by Casita Greg. . Check out this direct link: Casita Greg - Hood for 2 Burner Stove

Another one of Donna D.'s excellent links

Very nicely done solutions. I was also thinking that maybe on a hot night, with a window near the bed cracked open, they would provide a small amount of cooling breeze.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #15

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
The range hood in the Bigfoot has the grease catching filter. I like the computer fans because the motor in our hood is noisy. cleaning the fan blades ( from the computer) might be a bit sticky. I would like to replace the big space hog we have, but I would like to add a filter before the fans.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #16

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Hi all I just thought that a 1/2 in thick piece of foam cut to the size of the computer fans would be a perfect filter. I am going to get going on a replacement. Thank Donna.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Jared,
I had a opening window installed in lieu of the hood, smartest change I made. Lets in light and air but no rain and with the ceiling fan there is plenty of ventilation.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #18

Registry
"I know the microwave sits over the location for the stove in my camper and you loose it when the stove is installed. I also noticed in homes with gas ranges that the microwave is not over the stove like so many newer homes with electric ranges. When asked a contractor told me building code is 18 in clearance for electric cook top and 30 in for gas cook top."

I've never had anything but gas stoves and all my microwaves have been above it. Must be a Florida code.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All I can think if cleaning a vent is messy, what about the bottom of the cabinets, rat fur or ensolite, etc. That grease is going somewhere...

I have a stove vent and a kitchen window, but the window is over the sink not the stove. Although I do like Greg's solution!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:57 AM   #20

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I think I'll put one back in, I'll have to think on what it'll be. I have three burners, so it's maybe best to use one that sticks out again. A new white one is only $70.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote