Is my Casita's fridge working? (w/o gas) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Is my Casita's fridge working? (w/o gas)

I got my Casita to the campground, and hooked up electric, water, and sewage but I don't have any propane yet. I was trying to figure out what the refrigerator was doing. I thought if I put it on "Auto", it would choose between Gas and AC, in which case it should choose AC (shorepower) since there is not Gas. It keeps choosing "DC", which I think is the Casita's battery.

Sometimes I hear something running, which someone told me was the Casita recharging the battery. So it appears the Casita using the DC battery instead of the AC shorepower, but is then using AC to recharge the battery.

I cannot feel the refrigerator getting cold yet, but I heard it could take a while. Do these pictures give any clues? I plan to get the LP Gas tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1643a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	86667
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1644a.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	86668

The refrigerator vent that blows outside the Casita smells like something is getting hot, so maybe it is working.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Is your unit a 3 way, or is it only DC and Propane? I'm assuming it's an absorption unit because of the propane option.

AC, DC or Propane, absorption refrigerators operate based on heat; AC and DC via a resistance heating element, propane by a small flame. In any case, it takes some time to cool the unit.

Recommended practice is to cool the unit via AC for at least 24 hours before putting pre-cooled items in the reefer.

I don't know that there is necessarily a problem with the AC converter being in battery charge mode, as the reefer will draw what it needs, probably 10 amps or so and allow only what is left over to actually go to battery charging.

Final note, absorption refrigeration is less effective when external temps are 80 degrees F or greater. An added fan to pull heat off of the coils is a good practice. I'm getting ready to add a second one on my unit.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #3

Iowa
The refrigerator is an RM2454. I don't understand why the "DC" light is on, when it is connected to "shore-power". I assume "shore-power" is "AC".
Old 07-15-2015, 12:59 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
You did pull the outside lower vent cover and made sure it's plugged into the AC outlet? Not unusual for the plug to fall out now and then due to vibration. If that happens, it WILL default to DC if it can't get the propane to light.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:30 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hey Charlie, glad you mentioned the plug falling out. Never had that happen but that's good to know incase the refer doesn't kick in, thanks.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:34 AM   #6

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
You did pull the outside lower vent cover and made sure it's plugged into the AC outlet? Not unusual for the plug to fall out now and then due to vibration. If that happens, it WILL default to DC if it can't get the propane to light.
I will check that. Does the plug look like a regular 120v plug? I will look for a loose cable that looks like it fell out.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Yup, regular 3 prong plug stuck into a duplex outlet box

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #8

Iowa
YAY the fridge is working. The AC power cord fell out during shipment. I plugged it in, turned the fridge off and on, and it came up on AC power. thanks!
Old 07-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #9

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Glad to hear everything is ok!

Tags
casita