Is this a deep cycle? Sufficient charger - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #15

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I've read somewhere on here that the 6V (in series) get better ampHours due to the fact they are larger (height) than an equivalent 12V battery (group?). More ampHours can be achieved simply by a larger group size or the taller 6V. I've also read that 6V are designed for more frequent and deeper discharges. I'm heading out now and will give feed back from the "professionals".

Cheers,
Mark

Old 11-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #16

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
The best standard for comparing batteries for our uses is Reserve Capacity, which is a measurement of how many minutes a new battery will carry a 25 amp load at 80 degrees F and maintain a terminal voltage equal to or higher than 1.20 volts per cell.

Some battery companies are now providing HUP (Hours of Useable Power) charts for their batteries, which gives hours of use at various loads; 5, 15, and 25 amps for example. This information is listed in the battery catalogs if available, not on the battery.

Any manufactureres battery catalog will indicate Reserve Capacity, Amp Hours, Cold Cranking Amps and sometimes Marine Cranking Amps (CA or MCA) for each battery listed. All of these are calculated using BCI (Battery Council International) standards. They are all good measurements, but you need to know the specific conditions for each test to know which one provides the information useful to your needs.

For our use, I think Reserve Capacity best fits the bill.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #17

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
You probably meant that 6V battery have better AmpHours capacity rating not Amps which is just current measure. Most appliances are 12V so you really need two 6V batteries connected in series to get 12V.
George.

So right George.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
So here's what I've learned today. 6V batteries don't just have higher ampHours due to size but have much thicker plates than standard deep cycle. Trojan batteries have started putting ampHour per amp load on the battery labelling. I didn't even realize that was an issue. (thx Clif). AmpHour per dollar, 6V is the better bargain.

My math at the specific store:
12V=$1.65 per ampHour
6V=$1.40 per ampHour

However after pricing $160 each for two 6V and the $380 Xantrex 40A charger they said would be necessary to fully charge the thicker plated 6Vs I'll be sticking with a 12V deep cycle. The weight (thicker plates) and size of the two six volts was a deciding factor as well. I can get a 12V and charger between $200 and $250 apposed to a whopping $700

I realize that shopping around I could probably find better prices and that they were trying to "up sell" but it's more the comparison that struck me.

Beyond the prices, they were very informative and helpful. I haven't purchased yet as it's been hinted that christmas is coming but I will buy there before I go back to Wally World or CT.
Should be an easy gift to guess at under the tree.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
My old battery charger finally died last year.
I bought a Solid state charger at Pep Boys that has seperate charge settings for wet cell, AGM and Gel batteries, 2/10/15 amp charge selection, automatic float charging, battey reconditioning setting, alternator check ability and built in automatic temperature compensation.
All for around $50.00.
You can buy a more than adequate group 27 deep cycle battery at Wal Mart for around $90.00.
I would rather spend my money on a trip than needless expensive hardware.
Spend the money you save on a solar array.
John
Old 11-16-2011, 12:29 AM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
My old battery charger finally died last year.
I bought a Solid state charger at Pep Boys that has seperate charge settings for wet cell, AGM and Gel batteries, 2/10/15 amp charge selection, automatic float charging, battey reconditioning setting, alternator check ability and built in automatic temperature compensation.
All for around $50.00.
You can buy a more than adequate group 27 deep cycle battery at Wal Mart for around $90.00.
I would rather spend my money on a trip than needless expensive hardware.
Spend the money you save on a solar array.
John
My thoughts exactly. I'll have to check out that charge as I haven't seen one that does all of that for that price. Do you run a converter? Can the charger power your DC system and charge at the same time?

Here's to saving the moola
Old 11-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #21

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Faster charging rates actually do more harm to batteries than slower chargers. Every deep discharge takes life out of a battery.

I would recommend a 20 Amp or even less for a small charger which keeeos thevweight down also. You should calculate how long it takes to charge your bank. What you need to decide is how long you want to wait for an 80% charge. The last 20% will be slower.

40 Amp Chargers are impressive and useful f you need to top off your batteries in a few hours.

I have the 20 Amp 3 stage charger in my boat serving 2 4D batteries. All modern chargers are 3 stage chargers--which is mandatory for a trailer or a boat. Mine has an echo charger for my boat's starter battery which, I'd actually prefer to have its own charger.

Prior to this I had a 58 pound 60 Amp charger/3000 watt inverter--which gave me nothing but trouble. I don't see much point in having an inverter that draws that much power. I'd rather have 3 small ones that waste less power. The only purpose I can see for an inverter that big is to run a microwave briefly and with the motor running, to ease the burden on he batteries.

If you keep your battery topped off it will last 7-8 years. A trickle charger or solar panel fits that need well.

Even a cheap little motorcycle battery charger, kept plugged in all the time when the trailer is not in use will save a battery.

Consider that if your battery freezes it is ruined and that if kept topped up it can't freeze.

So in summary. I am a fan of cheap slow chargers, and using them all the time.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #22

Name: Normand
Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
"If you keep your battery topped off it will last 7-8 years. A trickle charger or solar panel fits that need well.

Even a cheap little motorcycle battery charger, kept plugged in all the time when the trailer is not in use will save a battery.

Consider that if your battery freezes it is ruined and that if kept topped up it can't freeze.

So in summary. I am a fan of cheap slow chargers, and using them all the time."

This is what I suggested right from the beginning! Night Sailor gives you an experienced recommendation. And as I mentioned, try it first with you existing battery which could be very well rejuvenated and offer you proper service for a few and, may be, many more years. By the way I just saved a deep cycle marine battery with a little intelligent motorcycle battery charger... And keep your charger connected to the battery year around as recommended by Night Sailor.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I ditto Normand. We keep our battery connected continuously and we have a set that lasted 14 years and still going.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #24

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Again hardly the recommendation to make without sufficient information from the Original poster about his needs?

Modern 3 stage chargers also provide this safe trickle charge again as suggested from experience.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks again for all the help everyone.
I've purchased the CTECK multi-use charger. I will only be recharging in between camping trips so the slow charge will be sufficient. The list of projects my Boler needs is long so at this point I'm not even going to install a converter or charger. I live in a condo. The good, my Boler fits in the parkade. The bad. I can't leave it plugged in. I might install an outlet in my coat closet and leave the battery there. Easy to monitor that way as well.
The Battery. I tested it with a hydrometer after three days on the charger (manufacturer specification until maximum charge/reconditioning) 5 cells read fair one was dead. It died again after running two dome lights for three hours. It's headed to recycling and I'm getting a group 24 deep cycle.

Cheers,
Mark
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A small Solar Panel would easily keep your battery charged.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #27

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
A small Solar Panel would easily keep your battery charged.
Agreed.
Now with the complete picture of your situation I also think Solar may be the way for you.
At least it should help protect the new battery you are about to get.

I have seen them for $50.00 for a small maintenance charge unit too.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #28

Name: Normand
Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Small solar panel in a window is enough to keep your battery top shape during winter. You should do it and everyone in a similar situation should do it. That's what I was doing with my Cessna172 XP during winter. Whenever I intended to use the airplane, the battery was always full charge. Batteries in airplane are small (because of weight) and they have to crank quite a big engine (in my case it was a v6 Continental 350 cubic inches. My solar panel was behind the sun visor. That means about 5X9 inches.