Is this a deep cycle? Sufficient charger - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #29

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Are you thinking a solar panel will keep it charged up enough while camping? After camping it's in a dark underground parkade. Thus the thought of keeping the battery indoors and on the CTECH charger if it's going to be unused for lengths of time. Thats what I meant by coat closet, in the condo. I like the idea of the solar panel but it seems to be getting cheaper, smaller, more efficient rapidly and I'm holding out until it's a "need".

It's hard to find that fine line between need and want.
Mark

Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #30

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Sorry,I will admit I had no idea what a "Parkade" was?
Clearly it will get no sun underground.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #31

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Yeh, sorry. I guess it's Canadian. "Canadiana" or "Canadianese"
On a side note, I looked it up in Wikipedia as I was curious about a more universal term.
Parking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like I'm sticking with parkade.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #32

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Live and Learn I guess,well at least I can add this one to my vocabulary!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #33

Name: Normand
Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
A 5x9 iches solar panel will obviously not keep your battery charged while camping! Nor it will work in an indoor parking. Carry your battery in and keep it on the CTECH charger all the time.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:58 AM   #34

Name: rufus
Trailer: 1973 Timberline 18.5, shopping
Oregon
Basics that people can probably agree on:

1. You need to have enough capacity to serve your power needs without discharging your battery more than 50% (regularly). It would be convenient to have instrumentation to know how much current you are using and how much you are charging so that you can have an idea about current State of Charge
2. Carrying along a source of charging power (solar panels, genset, plugging in for an opportunity charge when available, charging from vehicle power while moving) will allow you to have less house-battery capacity (minimize weight/space/cost to what you actually use/need).

3. Reducing your consumption will extend what battery capacity you have: replacing incandescent bulbs with LED's, using propane for refrigerator on 3-way refer's, shutting off fans that can run continuously unattended (like my furnace when it runs out of propane), and other loads unneeded/unknown.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. There are good deals, and poor deals, separated by what we think is important in power storage and delivery.

IMHO, the very best deal is plugging in to the 12 cents per KW/H grid. Small gensets (1000-2000 Watts, light enough for the weakest adult to stow) running on gasoline are very powerful battery extenders when coupled with the right charger. Solar panels that can put out a charging current of 10% of your battery capacity are a worthy investment in not running the generator when your batteries are 85% full. In the spring, in areas that have lots of golf courses and people using golf carts, you will find good deals on 6v golf cart (or golf "car") batteries at CostCo/Sam's Club/etc. These batteries are designed for abuse and neglect and will serve you well when babied in RV house-battery service.

Cheers.