Is this door sag? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2014, 01:34 AM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: '75 Trillium 1300
Washington, D.C.
Thanks for the tip! The trim is short in a lot of places so I'd like to replace it since it pops in easily.
I worked in parts at an RV dealership in Texas back in 2002 for just a few months, so I know how overpriced they can be... The problem is I don't know what anything is called to search for what others have done. But I guess what they say about pictures is true.

About the fiberglass shelving above the dinette, if it was on one side, it would be on the other, right? There isn't anything above the bunks, and the contact paper that was applied beneath is curling and would undoubtably act as a great fly trap with its tackiness (I don't want to test this theory) so I didn't fiddle with it too much, but I think they're just rudimentary installed shelves. I wouldn't mind removing them and using them as a template to make something a little... um, better since the holes are already there. I wish it had the fg shelves!

Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 AM   #16

Washington, D.C.
Oh, man! That document is a gold mine! Thank you!!!

Old 04-28-2014, 01:50 AM   #17

Washington, D.C.
And I can get a replacement 3-way fridge for only $475? Roy, you are my new best friend. We were budgeting over $800 for that.

So, two more questions while I have the floor. The Doorway bulb seal on the site, is that the rubber foam on the inside of the door? And second, if you look at the pics I posted at the top of the thread, what is that black rubber called that goes around the trim?
And thanks to everyone. This forum is priceless.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:07 PM   #18

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
$475?!? If you wait long enough, you can get a replacement fridge for free. I suspect that your fridge is an RM211. They were also common in pop-up tent trailers. The trailers are now falling apart and the appliances go cheep. I have never paid more then $100 for a working fridge, and I got two RM211's for free.

I would really love to see more pictures of your trailer, outside and inside. But those shelves got to go.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #19

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly H View Post
And I can get a replacement 3-way fridge for only $475? Roy, you are my new best friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
$475?!? If you wait long enough, you can get a replacement fridge for free.
Kelly,
I think you should make Dave your NEW new best friend. He'll be able to answer most your Trillium questions off the top of his head. Me, I still have to search a bit.
I've only got 1 Trillium that I've barely started on, Dave has a fleet of them.

Dave, can you take over and answer Kelly's questions please? The $475 was for a single new RM2193 Tom has listed on his parts page. Not sure if it will fit in her trailer. You know the kithchen cabinet changes over the years better than I.

I'm assuming Kelly is the female in the avatar, then again it could be the he. It's one of those names that applies to both. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_(given_name)
Old 04-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #20

Washington, D.C.
I'm the *she*. My husband will join soon enough. Right now I'm just sending him links to informative posts I find while searching. (Which is an average of 15 an hour - rough estimate)
The current fridge works on electric and we haven't tested on LP. It's just something that would be nice to replace down the road after we get everything else cleaned up and fixed. I just thought they sold for much higher when we were budgeting potential future costs into our negotiations. The seller tried to tell us we could get a dorm fridge from Wal-mart to fit, but I'm not drilling anymore unnecessary holes or cutting out a huge chunk of the cabinet.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #21

Alberta
Registry
I use this chart all the time:
http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/PD...er_rev4-13.pdf

RM2193 21(h) 17 3/4(w) 21 1/2(d)
RM211 22 11/16(h) 19 5/8(w) 17 5/8(d)
RM24 22 3/8(h) 19 3/8(w) 19 7/8(d)

The RM211 or RM24 were the standard fridges installed in the 1300. It looks like the RM2193 is close. It is a little short, a little narrow, and a bit too deep, but can probably be made to look good. It may stick out a little though. The down side is it likely has no freezer. Most of the new smaller fridges don't. I like ice cubes.

If your current fridge works on 120 VAC, then it will work on gas as well, but the gas fittings may need to be cleaned. If you plan to replace it later, you might want to look at a 12VDC compressor fridge. These work well with enough solar, (~100W).
Old 05-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #22

Name: Doug
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
It is sagging a bit and typical. But that is an easy fix on a Trillium, unlike on other types of trailers. It would not stop me or many others from buying. Go for it!

BTW do you have the buyers check list?
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Buyers Check List
Hey Roy

What is the best and easy fix for Trillium Door Sag, right now it looks like I have to replace the plywood in the front corner under the bench.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #23

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Hi Doug,
Best depends on how bad things are under the FG where the screws attach. Many have had good results with steel tech putty.
I did mine that way, PO had put the metal expansion things in, so I had big holes to start with. Took the steel thingies out, scraped away all the loose wood I could reach and slowly started building up the walls of the hole, trying to fill in the bottom a bit more with each layer. (used a chopstick as a shaping tool) Once the bottom of the hole was intact, I filled the hole up with steel tech. Once set, I drilled pilot holes and put the screws in.
This was going to be a quick fix, because we were supposed to be on the road the next AM and I was on THE list. That was a few years back, it has held up since.

If I need to do it again, with time available. I'd cut the FG from the inside and replace the wood like others have done.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #24

Ontario
I have other issues better described as front corner sag. My belly band is grossly misaligned due to rotten floor.

I am going to due a write up on my floor repairs which I will start shortly.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for high jacking the thread.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #25

Alberta
Registry
Doug, Discussing door sag in a thread titled "Is this door sag?" is not high jacking.

I have followed your experience, and I am somewhat distressed to say, I don't have a clue how to address the issues with your Trillium. It does not look like the belly band is that far off. Could you please post pictures that illustrate what you are seeing?

On edit: Forget it, I reviewed you thread:
I just bought a mint Trillium 4500, BUT???
The picture with the steel ruler is what I was looking for.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #26

Ontario
Is this how you fix door sag??

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1401404727.093894.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	71715
Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #27

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Is this how you fix door sag??

Attachment 71715
Kinda hard to tell, Doug- what do we got there?

By the way:

I wonder if you're misinterpreting what you're looking at...be aware that it's A Mark of The Trillium mold that the bellyband line DOES NOT MATCH across the door. If you're trying to "correct" that, give it up- it's not possible. Every based-on-the-original-Trillium ever cast has that flaw- even those like the Escape (based on Trillium mold), though they cleverly concealed it by way of redesigning the door. And I noticed that the most recent incarnation of the Trillium itself- the "Sidekick Legend" now being produced by Greatwest Vans- has had that last bit of bellyband on the door's left edge removed, too, and likely for the same reason

First below, a brand new Trillium before new door design- see that unmatched left edge?

Next below, Trillium after redesign. All they did was remove that last few inches of "bellybandbump" at the left door edge. Those two planes likely still don't line up- but it's not obvious to the eye anymore.

Door sag itself is different, though often observed/measured by the increasing difference seen on that left edge molding. It's usually related to weakening of the hinges themselves, or of their point of attachment. Repair involves positioning the door so it fits the opening properly, then remounting hinges. Do NOT attempt to use that left edge bandwidth for matching purposes, as the door won't fit right even if you succeed in matching the edges up.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #28

Ontario
We'll, my belly band lines up now. It sagged so bad, the door hit at opposite corners. Now I just have to get the door put back on.

I am taking pictures, I will post a thread of my adventures.