it is sunday evening and we have blown - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
my daughter just finished installing a new porch light on the casita, flipped the switch, light lit then blew a fuse. they are the bigger ones about 3/4 inch long. anybody know if walmart has them?
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Quote:
my daughter just finished installing a new porch light on the casita, flipped the switch, light lit then blew a fuse. they are the bigger ones about 3/4 inch long. anybody know if walmart has them?
Take the blown fuse to any auto parts store, which should have it either individually or in a package of 5 identical fuses. WalMart may have one as part of an assortment.
Apparently something went amiss with the wiring! I'd suggest reviewing the installation prior to inserting the new fuse.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The converter on my 91S13 came with 15Amp fuses (AMT blade type, I believe they are called) installed in EVERY slot in the fuse panel, even 'tho there were only only a couple actually wired up, so there were lots of extras.

These are common automotive fuses; Wally is probably least expensive, but auto parts, some gas stations, hardware stores, etc., also carry them.

It's a good idea to have several of each size in the panels on the tow vehicle and egg, because when a fuse is blown for a problem (not a momentary short), the replacement fuse is almost guaranteed to blow until the problem is fixed.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
thanks, all, i had hoped i would have been able to go to walmart, the only place open on sunday. calling them did no good, and i just thought one of you would know from experience. thanks, she has gone home again and i won't be able to get her back for many more weeks.

if the light actually went on, which it did, and then blew the fuse would it be a short? i thought that problem caused an immediate zap without the light going on?
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Depends on how it was wired -- For example, if the added light was attached to the wiring for the fridge, the light might work until the fridge came on and overloaded the fuse.

If the wiring contained a short, the light might come on very briefly before the fuse blew.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote