Ivation Dehumidifier - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Ivation Dehumidifier

Amazon is currently selling a line of dehumidifiers. The mini looks like it could be ideal for a 13' trailer. Does anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KWKONAG/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?qid=1448208122&sr=8-12&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=ivation
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1984
A new toy!
Now that's a new thought! When we travel with our 13 footer, it's All about outdoor living in the great outdoors. The door and windows are generally open to let as much air through as possible so I don't think a dehumidifier would serve us much purpose. An air conditioner in extreme heat would be more beneficial and it would remove moisture at the same time. As of now we haven't had the need for either but in very humid areas maybe it's worth thinking about.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:03 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't see an advantage to this type of dehumidifier. When my trailer is parked beside my house I use Dri-Z-Air for dehumidifying. The container and catch pot is about $12.00 the refills are less than $5. the refills last most if not all rear. No plug in required.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's much cheaper to buy a gallon jug of the desiccant than to buy the packets. Doesn't have to say Dri-Z-Air on the packet.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Desiccant might have some advantages provide you want to take the time and effort to use it. Desiccant absorbs moisture and releases it when warmed. It's used in many applications.
Dri-Z-Air combines with the moisture and produces a liquid that doesn't freeze and is simply discarded. The pellets disappear as moisture is collected. A single use.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
OK. Desiccant it is not. But you can buy the same pellets in a gallon jug for much cheaper than the packets.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I use one. I drilled a drain hole in the tank so I do not have to go out and empty it. I placed it in the sink so it drains to the grey tank. No, I'm not worried about the tank filling up or freezing. The unit works.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Darwin, this is exactly the sort of application I was thinking of. It looked ideal in a storage type situation. There are other ways of handling this problem, but this seemed ideal.

Did you have a look at how this unit works inside? Any thoughts on the mechanics/internals? These aren't your traditional compressor based units.

If anyone is considering buying one, log in and do a search on amazon now. In a few days Amazon will send you an sale email with a discounted price.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:51 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
From the product page:
In contrast to yesteryear's compressor-based dehumidifiers, our DehumMini uses advanced Peltier technology. Ever heard of it? Probably not, as it is whisper quiet. But quiet operation is just one of the many benefits of using this technology. It also allowed us to squeeze such a powerful and effective dehumidifying system into such a small package. Even more, it needs no moving parts to function, and that results in a lightweight machine sporting a longer lifespan.

But at 22.5 watts, don't expect a lot. It s rated for "Up To" 1100 cu.ft.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It is solid state. Transistors. I think there might be a small fan inside.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
It's solid state electronics using the Peltier effect. I have one in the sink also; with the hole in the tank I never have to check it. It does seem to work well in Oregon (Pacific NorthWet.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:33 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
I have used the small one in my Bigfoot for the last two years during winter storage. It works well enough that I have to empty it every 3-4 weeks. The drain idea is a good one, but I don't mind popping into the trailer now and then--it makes me look forward to the next trip. And, I like to see how well it is working. I have a humidity/temperature meter and it hovers around 60% humidity at 40-45 degrees. At those temperature the unit can't seem to drop the humidity lower that high 50's at best. I would image that a traditional household unit would do better, but I think this is good enough and it is quite a bit cheaper. It does have a fan.

I have used the chemicals before but I prefer the dehumidifier because I don't have to purchase replacement chemicals and I don't have to worry about sloshing the corrosive water around when I empty it. I think that the unit removes water faster than the chemicals, but I haven't tested them side-by-side. The chemical are cheaper and don't require electricity. I did have a problem recently, however. Even though I have a small heater in the trailer that turns on at 35 degrees and turns off at 45 degrees, the dehumidifier iced up. The entire aluminum block with fins was caked with ice all of the way out through the plastic grill. I brought it inside to thaw out and it has been fine since then. It didn't happen last winter.

Derek
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote