Jack caster wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #1

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
Question Jack caster wheel

Bought a 16' scamp (without bathroom) that has no jack wheel. Do they work well to shift or move 16 foot trailer? If so, should I buy a dual wheel so it would function better on dirt and grass? Any experience, suggestions, or brands?
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have one that only works ( somewhat ) on extremely smooth concrete. Anything else and it digs in, won't turn. My tongue weight is 320 lbs.
Easier to hook up and move it around with a tow vehicle.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have them on all our campers except the Casita. Won't work good on dirt or grass unless the ground is real hard. The dual wheel may be better. Check diameter of the jack tube, there are a couple different sizes. Also how the wheel attaches, some twist to lock on, some have a thumb screw, some a through pin
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I just replaced the wheel on our tongue jack, so I'm hoping for smoother rolling now. As noted above, the wheel is handy for hard/smooth surfaces and I wanted it for repositioning our VT on our asphalt parking pad at home. On the road, the wheel rarely comes into play except to slightly adjust the trailer position when hooking up. We also have a two-wheeled trailer dolly that I use to move the trailer at home and this has eased the load a lot. You put it under the hitch point, push down on the handle, and roll it into position (with the trailer jack wheel in the up position).

Our new Bigfoot only has the jack pad rather than a wheel, so we'll see how that goes. I don't anticipate really being able to manually re-position the 28' Silver Cloud whether I have a jack wheel or not!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a wheel on my Scamp 16' and as others have suggested it only works on nice smooth surfaces, short distances.

When I first got the trailer the wheel did come in hand to move the tongue of the trailer over an inch or so when hooking up if I did not line it up to the vehicle well enough.

I have a back up camera on current tug now so I do not need to move the trailer and the tongue wheel is actually sitting in a wheel holder to keep it from moving.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #6

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
I have used Fulton Jacks on boat trailers before a they are the best I have found. I am going to put one one my Casitabefore I venture out again. They are more expensive but worth the money
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny w View Post
Bought a 16' scamp (without bathroom) that has no jack wheel. Do they work well to shift or move 16 foot trailer? If so, should I buy a dual wheel so it would function better on dirt and grass? Any experience, suggestions, or brands?
Our 2000 16 ft Scamp, has a flat pad on the Jack. the jack is fixed, does not swing up.
I bought a wheel from a friend. But it is too large in diameter and keeps the hitch ball too high so it won't lower onto the ball of the SUV.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote