KIA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I saw an SUV KIA at the car show today. mid size says will tow 5000 LB. anyone here tow with one or ever checked them out? I could get a new one for about $20,000 so the salesman says. Sounds like a good deal, engine and trannie is guaranteed for 10 yrs or 100,000 mi instead of the 5 yrs most car dealers guarantee them for.
I also checked out a SATURN and wondering if anyone here tows or has checked them out?

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
This KIA is only good for 2,000 lbs:

http://autos.yahoo.com/kia_sportage_...d-specs/?p=all

As is this one:

http://autos.yahoo.com/kia_sportage_...d-specs/?p=all

http://autos.yahoo.com/kia_sportage/

Which model were you looking at that has three times the capacity of these? Wait, did you say salesperson told you.... Always ask to see it in writing.

Here're specs for the 2008 Saturn Vue:

Capacities

Trailer towing maximum (lb / kg) V6 Models = 3500 / 1588
Base L4 = 1500 / 680
Maximum Tongue Weight (lb / kg) 400 / 158.8

from http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/VUE/2...vuespecs.shtml
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I believe she is talking about the Sorento

3.8l 4x2 w/5k tow rating.

I had one as a rental recently. It personaly wasn't comfortable to me (Too big, believe it or not) but it seemed a capable vehicle.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #4

I am looking at the KIA SORENTO and also the SATURN OUTLOOK and also the VUE
The Sorento is suppose to have a 5000 tow rating
The Saturn outlook is suppose to have a 4500 tow rating, and the vue only a 3500 tow rating.
my personal thinking is that even tho I keep reading on this site that a lot of people are pulling with a tow rating of only 3500 LB that the car with a little bit bigger tow rating would be peppier and last a little longer in the long run if not stressing the motor and trannie with only a 3500 tow rating.
I am towing a 16 ft Casita with the bathroom and shower, air, heater and all the normal things on the delux model.
I would rather have a van with all that extra cargo room, but my Mercury Villager and other vans only have a tow rating of 3500 lb, and do not do hills well pulling the camper. I want some zip going up the hills. I am thinking a TV with a bigger towing capacity would be not so stressed out pulling the camper up a hill as a TV with close to the max rating.

Towing capacity means what is towed BEHIND the TV in weight, and not what is included in the TV, right? If I include what I pack into my TV in that rating, I would definately be close to if not over the 3500 tow rating.
What interested me in the KIA was the price, and the 5 yr longer warantee on the trannie and motor.(my 14 yr old van only has 140,000 miles on it now.)

Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #5

Gina, why did you get a Jeep? Just curious

Old 03-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #6

Registry
It was one of several I was looking at.

I got it because of the tow rating AND the relatively small package. I also had had them as rentals so I was familiar with them with more than just a test drive. It "Fits" me physically. It also sits up high, which is essential for where I live in the snow.

I researched Jeeps and have a few friends with them who couldn't find anything really negative about them, as well as not being able to find horror stories in the reviews etc.

I wanted the big tow rating and the price range was in my budget. I thought it was the best bang for that limited buck among my choices.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We own a 2002 Kia Rio and are very pleased with it all things considered. What do I mean? The intereior fit and finnish isn't as good as some other vehichles. We had several warranty repair issues that it had to go back to the dealer for. This turns into a problem for us being 70 miles away from the nearest dealer. The tires would wear off in a year with less than 20K miles on them and created a pull. We finnaly found a tire combination that worked with the car ending in no pull, and tire life.

All in all the car did what we wanted. We got a car with 30 mpg, under $20k, and would fit our entire family. It also was capable of towing our Little Guy teardrop.

We looked at the Sorento when we purchased our next vehicle. We chose to go with the Liberty instead because of the dealer issue, and we were able to negotiate a 7yr unlimited bumper to bumper on the vehicle with only 8k miles for under $20k. Looking back I might have done things different because of the fuel mileage. I'm only averaging 15-17 mpg right now with the Jeep, and I believe the Kia was supposed to be around 25-28 mpg. I'm not sure on that, but with fuel prices where they are, they should weigh in on the subject.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Looking back I might have done things different because of the fuel mileage.
I have said that more than once with my Libby.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
...Towing capacity means what is towed BEHIND the TV in weight, and not what is included in the TV, right? If I include what I pack into my TV in that rating, I would definately be close to if not over the 3500 tow rating....
When towing there are a number of ratings to keep track of.

Max Trailer Weight: What the trailer and all its goodies weigh.
Gross Combined Weight: The weight of the trailer and all its goodies AND the tow vehicle and all its goodies and occupants.
Gross Axle Ratings: There's one for the front and another for the rear. It's the rear that can get close when you add the hitch weight to the rear and considering that most of the tow vehicle's goodies are over the rear axle.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I have said that more than once with my Libby.

The good side about the Liberty is that I haven't been able to get it stuck yet, and I tried. I owned it 5 months before I put it in 4x4, and I only did it to make sure it worked, I still didn't need it.

I do get better mileage at freeway/highway speeds. The little thing loves those speeds. 65-75 mph = 23-26 mpg. I know it doesn't make any sense, but that's the way it's worked out.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Towing capacity means what is towed BEHIND the TV in weight, and not what is included in the TV, right? If I include what I pack into my TV in that rating, I would definately be close to if not over the 3500 tow rating.

Yes and no. Generally, the engineers set the combined (TV+TT) weight capacity of the rig, aka GCWR, based on a number of factors. Then I believe they take the curb weight (TV + driver + liquids) plus the tongue weight and subtract that from the GCWR to get tow capacity. So anything extra in the TV is subtracted from the TC, including an after-market receiver hitch, etc.

Meanwhile, you have two axle capacities on the TV, GAWR, and a total capacity of the TV, called GVWR. Kind of a see-saw, with both GAWRs adding up to more than GVWR so load can vary without a problem. In some TVs, the GVWR and rear GAWR are such that a tongue weight limit is imposed.

Meanwhile, on the TT, there's a GVWR that's usually set by the GAWR of the axles (and usually doesn't include the tongue weight, which is on the TV rear axle).

All of these Gxxx numbers are like a link in a chain, so the first limit hit is THE limit, regardless of the numbers of the other ones. In some cases, like tongue weight, the weight can be moved to something with more capacity, hence a Weight Distributing Hitch.

The Catch-22 for small vehicles is that the receiver plus the WDH are relatively heavy and may negate the benefit (or not be usable because of fastening or frame, TV or TT, problems).
Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Quote:
The good side about the Liberty is that I haven't been able to get it stuck yet, and I tried. I owned it 5 months before I put it in 4x4, and I only did it to make sure it worked, I still didn't need it.

I do get better mileage at freeway/highway speeds. The little thing loves those speeds. 65-75 mph = 23-26 mpg. I know it doesn't make any sense, but that's the way it's worked out.
I know what you mean. My Astro get 22mpg at 70 mph go figure.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #13

Hate to say it Pete, but I really don't understand all that, sorry! Math is not my thing.
Safe bet sounds like going higher than a 3500 tow rating on my 16ft Casita. Thanks

Old 03-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #14

Let me restate it more simply.

Generally speaking, any cargo in the tow vehicle, including people other than the driver, has to be subtracted from the towing capacity.

(Reportedly, the Subaru Outback's OM says that's not so for the Outback, but I haven' t actually read it myownself.)

In large part, it may depend on how much the Casita will weigh with the options you want. Maybe you can list the options you want and folks with Casita 16's can come up with some real weights.