Kipor Generators - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2006, 09:54 AM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The math for the standards is all the same, no matter the scale, but as Byron noted, it depends on which agency is manipulating #s for that agency to actually come up with "thier" #s for thier purposes. They usually set thier standards in a highly controlled environment as well. (You have to.. or they wouldn't be "standard".)

I have no guilt using it there
Awh Man... Yer calculator is broketed...
I guess so. Must have been past my bed time.

59db to 62db is double the sound energy.
59db to 65db is 4 time the sound energy.

Therefore there isn't as much difference as I earlier indicated.

As for listening, that's not a very good judge of the difference. To some people that difference could be great to others not so great. If you're buying and think it's not great a difference and you park beside somebody that hears a lot better..... You get the picture.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #22

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
I've read the same info about percieved sound levels doubling as DB's increased by 3, that Bryon explains in his post. I have heard quite a difference in gen-sets that are rated 56db vs 60db etc. The difference is dramatic. Our Honda 2K is very quiet even in the evening when things quiet down. We have had many people comment that they didn't know we even had a generator going. Area's where you may be dry camping demand that you use proper generator etiquette so buying a quite generator is very important . One pull on the chord to start the thing is also nice. I threw out my back trying to start the Coleman we had. Piece of junk. The more I hear about the Kipor being a Honda Clone the better it sounds. If you get the quietness, reliability and quality of Honda for less money, sounds almost to good to be true. Hopefully someone will bring one down to the Oregon rally in July. I will bring the Honda and we can compare. The best price I have seen on the Honda's lately is around $900 shipped to your address.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:26 PM   #23

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There is a Wikipedia page for "decibel" which I believe is excellent. It has as much technical content as I would guess anyone here is likely to want, but at the same time a quick skim reveals everything from the correct unit abbreviation (d to some common examples of relative sound levels. I just looked it up and read the whole thing; while I am not sufficiently familiar with all of the topics covered to judge its overall validity, nothing in it conflicted with anything I know.

Some points relevant to this discussion (all from the Acoustics in air section)
  • a sound level change of 3 dB is a doubling of power, and is detectable by normal human hearing
  • a sound level change of 10 dB is perceived as a doubling of loudness
  • measurements are meaningless without distance information
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:38 PM   #24

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...It also depends on WHERE you are..
Set the thing up next to your trailer in a truck stop, and the big rigs will be laughing at you. "Did someone hear a squeak?"...
Even disregarding the differing acoustic properties of different sites, I think this context is important.

I walked through an event in an urban square last year, attended by several hundred people, and there I found a Honda EU2000i in use. I didn't notice the sound until about the same time that I saw it, from only a couple of metres (a few feet) away. It was, for that environment, quiet; however, the same noise level, at the same distance, would be absolutely intolerable to me in an otherwise quiet campground, competing with nothing but bird calls and the crunching of leaves under the foot of a passing deer.

I also found it interesting that even in the noisy environment, with PA announcements, amplified music, traffic on all sides, and hundreds of walking and talking people, I could still hear the generator running.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Best price I could find for Kipor Generators is at: Boats.net

They offer double the warrenty, 2 years, free shipping lower 48 US, and no sales tax outside of Florida.

KGE1000Ti Generator
1000 Watt Model
Always FREE SHIPPING!
$499.00

KGE2000Ti Generator
2000 Watt Model
Always FREE SHIPPING!
$699.00

KGE3500Ti Generator
3000 Watt Model
Always FREE SHIPPING!
$1,094.00
I bought the KGE3500Ti Generator, 3000 Watt Model.

They shipped it Free, and there was NO sales tax. I got it and added the gas & oil; hooked up the battery and turned the key. BAM it started so fast it surprized me.

I put my tester on it and it had an open ground.

I decided to see if there was a lose wire or something obvious. I opened it up and could not see anything, so I closed it up.

I tried to start it and it would NOT start. Uh-O, what did I do? I opened it up again and checked everything and could not see anything I had done or that was lose. I tried and tried.

So I closed it up and called tech support and told the truth,; I broke it. What should I do? The starter was cranking, but there was NO spark.

Adam said no problem, we’ll take care of you. I am writing all this to say, Adam was terrific. He was at a trade show yet took time to call me at home. He kept in touch via email while he found a service center in my local area. He then made arrangements to have it fixed under warrenty. I took it into FastRV in Paso Robles and Steve found the problem and had it fixed in 30 minutes. It was a cannon plug in the control panel that had come lose. Steve added a little silicone so it would not vibrate lose again.

I personally would highly recommend http://www.Boats.net and their service. Their prices are also the best I’ve found.

PS: The generator is a little noisier then my Honda 2000, but I need the extra power.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #26

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I'm writing this post with power from my McCulloch FG2000Tc. We had a big thunder storm last night and lost electricity about 2:00 A.M. It's still out at noon. I fired up the generator to keep the freezer & frig items cold. I've unplugged the freezer and logged on to check email. Hope the power company comes by soon. Tom Trostel
Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #27

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Well Tom, That said a whole bunch about the generator. All one has to do is read between the lines and you will find out it not only worked well with your PC but it also had the power to run the fridge, etc.

I have a digital DB meter and will run tests soon to give the levels at diferent feet and frequencies.

Keep Generating. DR
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #28

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I'm sticking with my Honda 2000.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #29

Bob, had you purchased the McCulloch 2000 for $500 instead of the Honda for a thousand, you would of had enougn $$ left over to purchase the fine LCD TV for your Egg and still had enough left over to go out for a steak dinner.

Now that is a db level I can live with.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:32 PM   #30

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
Quote:
I've read the same info about percieved sound levels doubling as DB's increased by 3, that Bryon explains in his post. I have heard quite a difference in gen-sets that are rated 56db vs 60db etc. The difference is dramatic. Our Honda 2K is very quiet even in the evening when things quiet down. We have had many people comment that they didn't know we even had a generator going. Area's where you may be dry camping demand that you use proper generator etiquette so buying a quite generator is very important . One pull on the chord to start the thing is also nice. I threw out my back trying to start the Coleman we had. Piece of junk. The more I hear about the Kipor being a Honda Clone the better it sounds. If you get the quietness, reliability and quality of Honda for less money, sounds almost to good to be true. Hopefully someone will bring one down to the Oregon rally in July. I will bring the Honda and we can compare. The best price I have seen on the Honda's lately is around $900 shipped to your address.
Hi Just paid $860 shipped to the house from Wise (mention Casita Forum) with battery charging cables thrown in. Looked at Kipor and had a hard time buying China and having had 3 bulletproof Honda products, went with the Honda 2000. If need more watts later, they have a kit to hook 2 together but for our 17' Casita, if we're careful, we'll be ok with one. Just my 2 inflated cents worth! Chuck h
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:51 AM   #31

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Hi Just paid $860 shipped to the house from Wise (mention Casita Forum) with battery charging cables thrown in. Looked at Kipor and had a hard time buying China and having had 3 bulletproof Honda products, went with the Honda 2000. If need more watts later, they have a kit to hook 2 together but for our 17' Casita, if we're careful, we'll be ok with one. Just my 2 inflated cents worth! Chuck h
Yeah, I bought from Wise, also. Very cheap with shipping not even included! My Honda is super-quiet. I really don't want a generator that is going to bother other campers who may be nearby. The Honda makes so little noise that most people don't even notice it. I also didn't want to buy on the cheap and have a generator that is going to wear out quickly or break down.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:23 AM   #32

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
Quote:

Wow that's a pretty good price. Nice job! You see that's only $160 more than the $700 Kipor 2000. For that much I will go with Honda because I know they last and last. I believe the Honda's are design and built in the USA by Honda/North America. Resale is also excellent because people know about them. I gave the Coleman I had away to my father-in-law for free after trying in vain to sell it for a paltry sum. We'll see how the new Kipor's do long term. They may prove to be a good quality product but for now I will wait to see if they can prove themselves in this market.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:28 AM   #33

The McCullouch 2000 (Digital) that is a US Branded Kipor sells for $500 at www.toolcrib.com.

DR
Old 04-24-2006, 10:29 AM   #34

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">HONDA 2000 SPECIAL</span>

I just talked with Ed at Wise Sales and he will extend his Honda Special to all our members. The Honda 2000 with DC cables for $860. Free shipping and NO sales tax.

Make sure you mention FiberglassRV.com and the Free cables to get the Special.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #35

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
Kipor is a Chinese manufacturer. Their products are among the top sellers and have a strong quality reputation in Europe. They OEM the Philips generators sold by Philips Electronics and other subsidiaries over there. They OEM McCullough generators in this country. Their specs are very similar to Honda specs. So, the knock off claim is probably valid.

According to the local Kipor distributor Kipor does make parallel cables for their gensets. Up to three units of the same potency can be linked. He said that the parallel cables aren't being advertised because they are on backorder and the wait may be long. He has several customers in queue.

He also said technically, the Kipor is most like the Yamaha unit in all aspects of performance except noise dampening. He said the Kipor noise factor is almost identical to Honda.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Going from 59db to 59db is double the sound energy.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:

Ok OK! Fingers can't find the right keys to push. That 6 key is just too close to the 9 key (number key pad). Also I need a proof reader.

Old 06-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #38

Registry
Now that you've got my attention on generators again. This week end I heard a generator running a couple camp sites away from where I was camped. I walked over later to find one of highly touted Honda EU2000i generators. If that was quiet generator, I don't want to be camped in the same county as a noisy generator.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Ok OK! Fingers can't find the right keys to push. That 6 key is just too close to the 9 key (number key pad). Also I need a proof reader.

So what you’re saying is it should be:
Going from 56db to 59db is double the sound energy.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:50 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
So what you’re saying is it should be:
Going from 56db to 59db is double the sound energy.

That's correct.