Kiwi by Jayco - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-25-2003, 03:00 PM   #15
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Options with kids

Options with kids:

My current situation: We have a 13' Boler (front bunks) and two kids ages 8 and 9 (rapidly approaching what that top bunk must have originally been rated for and who knows what it's really capable of anymore). So - I'm in a similar situation - in a few years to be the exact situation. I've considered several options including the following:

Bunks can be reinforced. For ourselves - this might take the form of beefing up the bunk in our current Boler - OR (if we decide to go new in a couple years) beefing up the bunk of a new egg (I like the Casita Freedom Standard for this approach). Egg-zactly how this gets done and how much additional weight it could carry is just a matter of choice. For the Boler - I'm likely gonna swap out the plywood for a thicker/stronger piece, add 2x2 wooden braces to the backside, some sort of additional brace to the front and maybe also some steel braces up inside the bunk (under the plywood where it can still be covered up with fabric). Something similar could easily be done with a brand new bunk. Worst part is swapping out the plywood which isn't probably all that important if you just add the steel underframe instead (Think mini bed frame and you get the idea).

The second (and likely eventual situation no matter WHAT happens) is moving kids into tents outside the trailer. I considered the idea of putting them into a screen room but I think that's not the best solution. The cots would be in the way during the day. The most important aspect though - the complete lack of privacy sleeping in the screen room would afford them. I don't mean privacy from the outside world (can get ones with walls) - but since we'd have to walk through the screen room to get outside - they'd have no privacy from US. What I figured we'd do eventually is set them up with a tent (or tents) and some nice comfortable cots. Get some battery powered lanterns - radios, etc. Maybe even a little nightstand with some drawers (if it's a long enough stay). Be able to set that tent up elaboratly enough that they'll feel like they're getting the better end of the deal.

Course - if you get a large enough screen room - you can have them set up the tents inside it. :) Might not be too objectionable if it was bad enough weather.

When I was a kid - I went camping a few times with my cousins (who's family had a small pop-up). Plenty of room inside for all of us - but that was about the last thing we wanted to do. We were very happy sleeping out in a little pup-tent on top of rocks and tree roots... (My back's hurting just thinking about that now...) :)

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:38 PM   #16
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Kiwi - Jayco

The kiwi line is a 'lite' trailer. Not the same quality as Jaycos Eagle or Designer series. But probably comparable to a good pop-up.

We had 5 kids, camped in tents, 3 different pop-ups, a conversion van, class C motorhome, class A, and now have a Casita (kids are gone).

The rig that served us best was a Starcraft pop-up with 2 dinettes and a porta-potti pulled by an old 6 cyl suburban. That was before the 'hybrids'. :o

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote