Lap Sealant residue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #1

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
Lap Sealant residue

For lack of better description,
after I put Lap sealant around holes I assume it cures fully within a few days. After it rains there is a residue that runs down from the Lap sealant and makes a sap-like mess on the fiberglass. It is not the sealant running, but something oozing out of it. It is very hard to clean if not impossible. I am afraid to hurt the fiberglass if I clean any harder.
Is there a good solution to remove this mess?
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
We need to know exactly what lap sealant To which you are referring. Many did brants and chemical compositions.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #3

Georgia
Not really. If you had this happen to you then you know exactly the details, if not then you probably have never had to clean up the mess anyway.
But I think it had Mr Clean on the bottle. The tube is long gone since this is an "after" situation.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer View Post
For lack of better description,
after I put Lap sealant around holes I assume it cures fully within a few days. After it rains there is a residue that runs down from the Lap sealant and makes a sap-like mess on the fiberglass. It is not the sealant running, but something oozing out of it. It is very hard to clean if not impossible. I am afraid to hurt the fiberglass if I clean any harder.
Is there a good solution to remove this mess?
When I looked up Roamer TC this is what I found.https://www.tcsrvs.com/New-Inventory...ermont-5246081

If this looks like you trailer you might be better response at some other site. If on the other hand your trailer is "molded fiberglass" then this is the place.

The difference is the one pictured in the link above is fiberglass slab and with frame underneath. A molded fiberglass trailer will look something like this https://www.scamptrailers.com
Good Luck and happy camping.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
If this looks like you trailer you might be better response at some other site. If on the other hand your trailer is "molded fiberglass" then this is the place.
Not even close. The people at the RV store were equally as mistaken.
It is fiberglass as I indicated.You might have been quicker to look at my profile pic.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Not even close. The people at the RV store were equally as mistaken.
It is fiberglass as I indicated.You might have been quicker to look at my profile pic.

Even quicker would be if you placed pic of your truck/camper as your avatar.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #7

Georgia
Dicor self-leveling lap sealant.

Truck camper = TC, not to be confused with Tuby Clarance's initials down at the local RV dealership.

Make, model, or other details of a camper are not so significant when cleaning off the lap sealant. If anyone has had success cleaning lap sealant residue off of anything I would be interested to hear about it.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Seems to me none of this has anything to do with the situation, except the sealant. Doesn't matter if you put it on fiberglass or your breakfast cereal.

Dicor does not ooze. If yours is oozing, either you added something else to it, or you got a defective batch and should be contacting Dicor. It shouldn't be oozing.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #9

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Seems to me none of this has anything to do with the situation, except the sealant. Doesn't matter if you put it on fiberglass or your breakfast cereal.

Dicor does not ooze. If yours is oozing, either you added something else to it, or you got a defective batch and should be contacting Dicor. It shouldn't be oozing.
It has happened on different batches.
Something is coming off the sealant and making a mess. The sealant is not oozing, something is oozing out of the sealant, something likely water soluble since the rain washes it out and then it hardens on the fiberglass, or cereal or anything it runs down.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #10

Montana
Now we’re talking semantics. Some part of the sealant is oozing. The sealant isn’t causing something else to ooze. Something in the sealant is oozing. It shouldn’t be. Contact dicor.

I’d be very interested to hear if anyone here has ever had an issue with dicor oozing. I’ve used it quite a few times, never had any ooze.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:50 PM   #11

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Now we’re talking semantics. Some part of the sealant is oozing. The sealant isn’t causing something else to ooze. Something in the sealant is oozing. It shouldn’t be. Contact dicor.

I’d be very interested to hear if anyone here has ever had an issue with dicor oozing. I’ve used it quite a few times, never had any ooze.
OK, forum faux pas - if you don't understand then just be a watcher and not a participator. Your need for clarification not helping. thanx far trieng
Old 08-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I think the comments so far were just an attempt to further understand the problem. I don't know your camper or what the "chemical" is that is causing the issue. I do have a lot of experience removing pitch, aka sap, from both molded fiberglass and stick-built fiberglass RVs. I've used WD40 and Goof-Off with some success and with no damage to the surface. My best success has been with rubbing alcohol, just as effective at a lower cost. Again, the alcohol left no damage to the surface.

So give it a try and let us know how it works.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #13

Montana
Nice to meet you too.

Good luck with your ooze. 👍
Old 08-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
OK, forum faux pas - if you don't understand then just be a watcher and not a participator. Your need for clarification not helping. thanx far trieng

It's "trying".
And, it's "participant".
Old 08-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #15

Georgia
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	130848
This is residue from Lap sealant. It is dirty, but even clean cannot be scrubbed off.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-4.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	130849
Over door. Residue off of the marker lights.

Looks like white Elmer's glue
Old 08-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
The only time I've seen that was with outdated sealant that had separated in the tube.

Usually Dicor is creamy in consistency with no liquid.

How long since you caulked the area, and has it seen rain only since then?

In extreme cases I have used acetone to clean, but if the gelcoat is poor may cause it to lose its shine, and need a polish and seal after cleaning.
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #17

Georgia
The electric door I did, bought it new and used it. The store probably sells a lot of it.
The roof to door was before me. The RV dealerership/owner of the camper at one time, who did work on this would have used duct tape or silly puddy, not the proper sealant, so was likely the owner before that.
It did not get rained on right after. At least a day went by, or a week. The run happened not right away, but after weeks or more.
I use this stuff everywhere and here are the only two spots
Old 09-22-2019, 10:30 PM   #18

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Just a thought. I have seen various stickums and goos discussed here and the only one with universal approval seems to be butyl tape. If you succeed in getting this Dicor cleaned up, that would be my suggestion for sealants going forward.
Best of luck.
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:42 PM   #19

Butyl tape is used in certain applications. Other sealants are better for other applications, and sometimes more than one is used.

Butyl is not magic.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:00 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
According to the product description here (https://www.campingworld.com/dicor-s...ite-32125.html) it is meant for use on horizontal roof surfaces. Marker lights and the electrical utility door should be sealed with butyl.

It sure seems like some component of the sealant separated during the curing process, perhaps due to use on a vertical surface. In my opinion you need to remove it all and start over. If none of the common solvents mentioned work, you may have to contact the manufacturer for advice.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote