Laying Vinyl over Carpet? - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Trailer: Scamp
Has anyone laid a one piece section of vinyl over the carpeting and tacked on edging strips to hold it in place? I hate to give up the insulating factor of the carpeting but it gets way too dirty and hard to clean when camping in damp/cold weather. Flooring just needs a quick sweep. Is this a weird idea?
Thanks for help

karen lm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
This doesn't answer your question...but maybe you won't have to give up the carpet idea.
I much prefer carpet to a hard floor, and have made it work for us. I cut a remnant of good quality carpet to fit exactly onto the floor of our boler. It even tucks under the door for the porta potty under the front couch.
When necessary I give it alittle sweep. When bad, I pick it up and bang it against a tree. If it gets too muddy I let it dry out in the sun. And at the end of a long campout I hose it off, or just let it dry really well, and vacuum.
It has an all over pattern which hides stains, and a low nap. I can not remember where I got it, but it has the look of a hotel lobby carpet, which is probably why it is indestructable.
Some kinds of carpet are much easier to cut than others, and won't unravel. Some are impossible to work with. Good luck,

Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
I would strongly suggest to you that, in the long run, you won't be very happy with putting vinyl flooring over carpet, for several reasons:

The vinyl won't lay flat over carpeting and you'll always have little "humps" in it, as well as an annoying "squishy" feeling that you will grow to hate.

Dirt will find its way under the vinyl and start to smell bad, and believe me, it will.

Any moisture which would become trapped between the carpeting and the vinyl (i.e. spills, rain, condensation in general) won't evaporate well. This will become a breeding ground for mold and mildew.

If heat retention is an issue, there are many insulating underlayments available, specifically designed for installing under hard surface flooring, but carpet surely ain't one of them. I would suggest just putting the vinyl down directly on the wood subflooring (without any type of underlayment at all) and get yourself a small "runner" carpet to lay on top of your new vinyl floor. When the carpet gets dirty, just take it out and throw it in your washing machine. Much easier to keep clean.

Just some suggestions to think about.
"Government doesn't have an answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Karen, I agree with Greg, laying flooring over carpet could led to problems. If your more in favor of keeping the carpet, then why not get a plastic runner? You know the one's that were popular in homes of the 50's and 60's right along with the plastic lamp shade cover? It's available at Lowe's and Home Depot Cheap and can easily be wiped cleaned and pulled out after trips to scrub up. I put one in our Class A when we spent some time at a resort in Vegas one winter and the whole darn place was black top which came right in on the carpet , it worked well and was easy to clean and sweep. Let us know what you come up with. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
Name: Tom
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Dirt will find its way under the vinyl and start to smell bad, and believe me, it will.

Any moisture which would become trapped between the carpeting and the vinyl (i.e. spills, rain, condensation in general) won't evaporate well. This will become a breeding ground for mold and mildew.

What Greg said!

We had interlocking laminate on top of the original carpet in our FiberStream. You would not want to know or believe what it was like when I removed the pergo. Yuck!

The old carpet is gone and I am reinstalling the pergo with a proper underlay.

Good luck,
Tom - '79 Fiber Stream

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We took a slightly different approach with our floor. We pulled up the ratty old original shag carpet (yuck) and put down carpet tiles. They're really practical because they can be removed easily for cleaning, if needed. We also have extras that we can use for replacements. We had a flood in the camper once when the clamp on the water line came loose & all we had to do was remove the tiles & set them outside to dry off. The floor was dry underneath because of the thick rubber back on the tiles. We still have the warmth & insulation of carpet but this is much more practical than regular carpet & easy to install.
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

If your more in favor of keeping the carpet, then why not get a plastic runner?
That is what I do in our Fiber Stream.

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote