Leak - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #29

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie B View Post
Yes. The parts were sent without charge. I used a scraper, elbow grease and acetone to clean the trailer. The silicone oil, I assume, fills the any small gaps between the gasket and the trailer. I used 3M trim adhesive to glue the insulation (foil bubble wrap) to the fiberglass and the rat fur to the insulation.

Good luck with the repair.

Thanks Davie!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #30

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
A couple of days after getting our 03 Casita 17' SD home it started raining moderately. I was in and out of the trailer and had a cube heater running.

Kip
Congratulations on the new camper, didn't know you finally got one. You should bring it to the Scamp Camp in Sebring in Feb and show it off. It's only January and we've been camping in our Scamp already

John (in GA)

Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #31

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
Congratulations on the new camper, didn't know you finally got one. You should bring it to the Scamp Camp in Sebring in Feb and show it off. It's only January and we've been camping in our Scamp already

John (in GA)
Hey John, and thank you!

Right now we're in the mist of fixin stuff, getting new tires, re-doing the upholstery, repacking wheel bearings and so forth. Nothing wrong with the upholstery but we want to get thicker foam and change colors a bit. Hang some curtains, and so on.

Also, because we sleep seperate, I wanted to create a permenant bed for each of us. That is doable and still have a dinette for 2. Dinette won't be on the side. The old side dinette is now a sofa/my bed. I'm also building a self closing gate to go from the bath to the fridge to keep the dogs from slipping past us when the front door is open.

So the fun has begun!

Got the fantastic Fan assenbly out of the hole. There was no gasket (none, na-na, zero, zip) between the fan base and the trailer roof. Not even a bead of silicone. No supprise it was leaking. When I lifted it up there was water between it and the roof, on 3 sides. I'm replacing the 28 rivits with screws, nuts and lockwashers, Waiting on a gasket from Fantastic Fan.

Not sure when it will be ready for the road and camping. Hopefully by early spring. Looking forward to hitting the road.

Thanks,
Kip
Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #32

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Kip if you install the fan using butyl tape you do not need or want the gasket. I throw the one that came with mine away. The tape needs to be in full contact with the roof and the bottom on the fan - the gasket will stop a good seal.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #33

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Got a roll of the butyl tape from the local rv place great stuff and flexable.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #34

Georgia
Is the butyl tape sticky on one side, both sides?

How thick is it?

Trying to understand how or why it would be better than the gasket Fantastic Fan sent.

Thanks,
Kip
Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 PM   #35

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
butyl tape is about 1/8" thick and sticky on both side (actually throught)...if you've ever touched that stuff that they install car windshields with that will give you an idea.....it squeezes down and oozes out....a gasket needs a perfect level surface on both sides....butyl doesn't.
Another comparison would be it's something like those flypaper strips but thicker.
I really like butyl tape.
Joe
Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #36

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
It is not even really tape.

Butyl rubber is the stickiest substance I know of that you can work with your hands and still remove,carefully.

I guess it is called tape as they sell it in pre made thickness and width like a tape but it is a pure hunk of rubber putty.

They use it to install windshields as Joe said and they squeeze it from a tube.
Clearly your windshield will rarely leak and it is ideal to seal almost any smooth surface.

Just know that the only thing that seems to remove it is it.
I can always use more Butyl to remove stuck Butyl.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #37

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Kip here is a picture of what it looks like on the roll BUTYL TAPE

Using a gasket with it serves no pupose and it will just get in the way of a good seal. The tape in addition to sealing will do the job the gasket would have done.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 AM   #38

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Kip here is a picture of what it looks like on the roll BUTYL TAPE

Using a gasket with it serves no pupose and it will just get in the way of a good seal. The tape in addition to sealing will do the job the gasket would have done.
Thank you Carol.
Kip
Old 02-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #39

Name: Ron
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Iowa
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
I had a drip leak from my fantastic fan in my 2007 Scamp. It turned out to be one of the rivets around the edge of the fan that attaches it to the roof. I went to a local RV dealer and purchased a product called C10. It's a self leveling product and after removing the original loose material 'covering" the leaking rivet, I used my caulk gun to squirt the C10 over and around the leaking rivet. That was 3 years ago and to this day, it's totally leak free!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #40

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
I know that silicone is usually not recommended around fiberglass, but over the past couple of decades I've had good luck with limited use of "flowable silicone" a.k.a. "Windshield and Glass Sealer." It's silicone, but runny, and flows into cracks, and other small holes to seal out moisture. I've used it on tail lights and one camper window where there was incomplete sealing between the rubber gaskets and glass or plastic. The flowable silicone seems to be sucked into tiny cracks by capillary action, but maybe it's just gravity, but either way it's done the job for me two or three times. I wouldn't use it instead of butyl tape on any kind of gasket job, it's only for very tiny leaks.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #41

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I know that silicone is usually not recommended around fiberglass, but over the past couple of decades I've had good luck with limited use of "flowable silicone" a.k.a. "Windshield and Glass Sealer." It's silicone, but runny, and flows into cracks, and other small holes to seal out moisture. I've used it on tail lights and one camper window where there was incomplete sealing between the rubber gaskets and glass or plastic. The flowable silicone seems to be sucked into tiny cracks by capillary action, but maybe it's just gravity, but either way it's done the job for me two or three times. I wouldn't use it instead of butyl tape on any kind of gasket job, it's only for very tiny leaks.
Ray,

Why do folks not recommend silicone around fiberglass.

Kip
Old 02-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #42

Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
Was there an ANSWER on...

...just HOW and with WHAT, one can take off the yucky old globs of slicone used by a former owner...
Was acetone the answer for rubbing off just the small silicone residue left on the Egg, after you've used your fingernails to get off the great gobs of glued on silicone, from things like rivet heads?
I'm just trying to replace the old oxidized and decomposed rivet covers with new snap-on caps and bands. How do I 'glue' the bands for the new caps to snap onto, down onto the fiberglass of my Eggie? And once it's glued down properly, do I put a piece of the butyl putty tape on top of the rivet head...or do I put a vey small dab of some other sealant on it, prior to 'snapping' on it's shiny new plastic beauty cap?

I really appreciate all of you WISE Fix-It Folk...'cause I certainly didn't absorb any of those 'genes' during my 59 years of living...never too late to learn (AKA: absorb), huh?!