Leak prevention - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2015, 10:47 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Leak prevention

Our 2005 Scamp 16' is in great shape for its age, but I notice that the caulk around our windows, vents, etc. is showing its age and is in need of some attention. I would like to just thoroughly clean the old caulk and apply a layer of quality silicon caulk on top of the old stuff. Is that ok or must I completely remove the old caulk before applying the new? If I must remove the old stuff, what's the best/easiest way to do that?

Old 08-29-2015, 12:09 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
Our 2005 Scamp 16' is in great shape for its age, but I notice that the caulk around our windows, vents, etc. is showing its age and is in need of some attention. I would like to just thoroughly clean the old caulk and apply a layer of quality silicon caulk on top of the old stuff. Is that ok or must I completely remove the old caulk before applying the new? If I must remove the old stuff, what's the best/easiest way to do that?
Resealing your windows and vents is fine but don't do it with silicon. Butyl tape is the only way to go. I've got an '06 Casita and I don't have any of the butyl showing from any of the openings. Are you saying a previous owner use some kind of caulk on them? In order to reseal them correctly you need to remove the windows and vents, clean the old stuff up real good and reinstall with new butyl tape. Should be good for many years. Have to ask, are you getting any leaks or is it just the looks of the caulk?

Old 08-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
No leaks yet. I'll have post a picture when I get a chance.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I heard that Scamp puts silicone around the windows from the factory. I had been blaming the PO until I read that from a new Scamp owner.

Mine is beginning to look a bit unsightly, but I don't plan to do anything until it is leaking. I am proactive about leaks though- I pressure test windows at least once a year at a commercial car wash.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
What do you use to clean the silicone off? I read in some threads but can't find them now. Goof off or Oops? I seem to remember seeing those mentioned.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #6

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZimmerman View Post
What do you use to clean the silicone off? I read in some threads but can't find them now. Goof off or Oops? I seem to remember seeing those mentioned.
Thanks,
Steve
JUst pile more on top and you are still worried pile a bit more.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
JUst pile more on top and you are still worried pile a bit more.
Sarcasm… I hope! LOL…

Personally, I wouldn't do anything unless (1) it is leaking, and/or (2) you are ready to do a proper reseal of the window. That involves removing the window, cleaning down to bare fiberglass, and reinstalling with fresh butyl tape. A properly installed window should not need any caulk. The butyl does it all. A search on YouTube for "reseal RV window" should turn up a helpful tutorial.

When you're ready to do it properly, a Google site search on "remove silicone" will bring up many old threads on how to get rid of the old stuff. It's mostly mechanical, with chemical clean-up at the end. If you haven't found it yet, the Google site search is a great tool. Look at the blue bar at the top under your log-in information, "Search," and all the way down to "Site search/Google".

Here's one thread to get you started. It has some good information and links. Just ignore the part about using gasoline!
Old 10-09-2015, 01:21 AM   #8

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Silicone sticks to a lot of surfaces, but it won't stick to itself, so you can't pile it up. Removing it is a pain, but absolutely necessary for anything to stick to the surface again.
Russ

Tags
scamp