Leaking Test - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #1

Name: Rolley3
Trailer: SCAMP
Illinois
Leaking Test

I am getting a leak from around the back window in my 1985 rehabbed Scamp and I cant find it. This is new with in the last few weeks. Is there a test for finding it. How do I fix
Thank You
rolley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #2

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Are you sure it'd the window? Our son had a bad leak at the rear of his 13 ft Scamp. Thought it was the window - nope, belly band - nope (although we resealed it), turned out to be the spare tire. There was no seal around the bolt that connects it to the body. Had to replace flooring in the back. Once that was done and the hole was sealed up it has stayed dry (which is saying a lot in Oregon)

Good luck!
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I found my belly band leak by applying water using a watering can to a single area at a time. Water the left side, no water coming in then water the right. Once I had it down to a single area applied water low, no leak then apply water high. Work sections of the spare tire, belly band, window and rivets above window until you find where application of water leaks to the inside.

How to fix is based on exactly what is leaking. You might want to check the weep holes for the rear window. Small openings that allow the bottom of the frame or window track to drain to the outside. They get clogged (dirt or a bit of leaf) and water can overflow to the inside.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When I bought my 1986 Scamp trailer used it had signs of a leak around the rear window. I pulled the window to find that Scamp used a foam type gasket that was long overdue for replacement and that the Scamp window had to remain centered in the window opening since the opening was cut much larger than it needed to be. The bad seal of the gasket allowed the window to slip down and the slight arc of the body keeps the window from sealing tight. This was rectified by using butyl tape instead of a gasket to seal the window, in the corners of the window I used 2 layers. When tightening the window I made sure the window stayed in the center of the opening. The squeeze out of the butyl tape will now keep the window centered in its opening and the extra thickness of the butyl tape will make a positive seal on the curved body. I trimmed off the outside squeeze out of the excess butyl tape with a plastic putty knife. it is much easier to remove when cold. Note: my rear window is a factory slider with metal frame.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Rolley3 take a picture and mark point that its showing leaking. My first camping trip with scamp 5er its started raining and water started coming in from the inside tracks. Packed up in a rain storm and went home. Luckily we had taken a short 15 minute trip from house to check things out. I got it home and backing into the storage building. The window track drains were stopped up from mud daubers. Ended up removing all the window seals cleaning and resealing with new seals. Good thing because every window was stopped up. PO had purchased the unit new but hadn't used the camper in three years because of cancer. He had it stored it under an open metal storage covers and the mud daubers had made a home in all the window tracks through the drain holes. PS I have extra seals if needed.(two sizes).
Old 09-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #6

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Leak in Rear of Scamp

I recently went through this as well. Weep holes on rear window clean and clear, but kept digging and found that the tail lights were taking on water, and this was running down wires into trailer. Sealed all with butyl tape, drilled a 1/16" hole in bottom of red plastic lens and that was part of it...

I also found that the screws holding the dinette backer board were corroded about 1/2" down the thread. Not willing to take any chances, I replaced those with stainless steel, and put butyl behind plastic washer. Then sealed above screw with pro flex.

Also...took off spare tire nuts and washers and did not like the poor sealing job there. Some sealant here, some there...just too many bald spots. Replaced washers with proflex behind them near trailer wall. Cleaned up and put spare tire back on after drying.

This was of course, after completing a pex water line test to make sure it wasn't the plumbing that was leaking, which a good friend here helped me through the steps and all was well.

Was ready to lose my mind as work is so stressful, fall/winter is approaching and time was my nemesis. If I can be of any help at all with procedures, I would be happy to help a brother or sister out.

Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote