Leaking windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

Name: CJ
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Leaking windows

We recently purchased a used 2003 13’ Scamp. The windows are leaking. Here is a very short clip of my husband explaining where it is leaking. Note... This is a sliding window, but I think all the windows are leaking. The water runs down the window and comes in at the bottom.

Thanks in advance,
Judy
CJ Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There are weep holes in the window frame to allow water to pass through. First thing I would do is make sure those are clear. Use a toothpick or something to probe them and open them up. You will find them on the inside of the window frame.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Inside or outside Glenn? Weedeater string is a good probe / cleaning tool
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:29 PM   #4

Weep holes are on the inside. But if there is water getting past that rubber gasket, it would / should exit through the weep holes.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have a Scamp slider window in our Uhaul. It has small slots on the outside of the window frame at the bottom. I thought those were the weep holes. The original Uhaul slider is the same
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #6

I guess I should go out to the trailer and have a look.

I have an Escape, and the weep holes are on the inside of the window to eliminate any water that might get past the gasket on a slider window, and to allow condensation to exit.

To do that, they have to be on the inside, and the outside ( under the frame ).
Attached Thumbnails
weep hole.jpg  
Old 10-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Get a piece of stiff wire about 10" long and insert it through the weepholes on the OUTSIDE of the window, working horizontally toward the center.
As you work the wire in and out, pour some water on the window and watch the weepholes. First you will see muddy water coming from them, then it will start to run clear as the drains get clean.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #8

Wisconsin
10” wire? Should you push it through u til you can see it inside?
Weedwacker string? Is it strong enough to push through? Kind of like flossing?
I called Scamp today and they said a toothpick isn't enough. They said use an air compressor or to blow them out. I'm kind of scared I'm going to break something, but I'll give all of these a try! Thank you!
Old 10-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #9

Wisconsin
I found a video explains how to do this...
Old 10-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #10

Good grief!!
That guy turned a simple poke a hole with a stick into a nine-minute video. All you need is a piece of thin, stiff wire, long enough to hold on to ( like 10" ).
Old 10-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #11

Wisconsin
LOL... And it's a good thing. We ended up pulling back the molding and found that one of the weep holes was never properly punched out when manufactured! How the previous owners kept this window from leaking in the past I can't say. Maybe they covered it with something. There is no water damage inside the camper, but the window track was full of grime and water. We are getting rain tomorrow so we shall see if the problem is resolved!
Old 10-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
My Scamp had an accumulation of composted leaves and dust in the window frames that could only be removed after pulling out the rubber channel that the movable pane slides in.

The guy in the last video (CJ's post #9) makes it look more complicated than necessary. Also, pushing a wire into the weep holes will move dirt around, but not necessarily remove it, therefore useless. The first post, the short video is on the right track, but not quite there. He is tugging on the rubber channel, but not lifting it out.

To remove it, slide the window open and lift out the rubber U-channel part way. Then slide both back and forth while getting more of the rubber channel out. Then lift out the pane completely and you will see those weep holes from the inside. By the way, they must drain to the outside, there should be no holes on the inside of the frames. Clean out the aluminum channels with paper towels, rags, or such, until all muck is removed. Reassemble it all in reverse order. It takes a little bit of patience to get the channel back in, if needed I would use some liquid soap to lubricate it. Washing the rubber channels in a bucket of soapy water before replacing them will also help.

If you spray water from a garden hose into one of the weep holes, it should freely flow out of the other, if you wanted to test it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Stan View Post
10” wire? Should you push it through u til you can see it inside?
Weedwacker string? Is it strong enough to push through? Kind of like flossing?
I called Scamp today and they said a toothpick isn't enough. They said use an air compressor or to blow them out. I'm kind of scared I'm going to break something, but I'll give all of these a try! Thank you!
No, done right you should not see the wire from inside. All the wire does is clean out dirt from each side and allow the water to flow to rinse the drains. Pipe cleaners would work well too (if you could find them).
Water poured on the outside of the glass only needs to be a small amount.
I use a paper cup full and seal the cup against the glass, letting it out slowly.

Weedwacker string might work very well.

No, do not spray water or compressed air into the drains, you could make a mess or cause damage.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post

, pushing a wire into the weep holes will move dirt around, but not necessarily remove it, therefore useless.
That method has kept my windows clear for eleven years and works perfectly. Also I have used the same method to demonstrate window drain cleaning for years at Fiberglass rallies on other peoples trailers. Hardly useless.
Of course, the use of water on the windows in conjunction with the wire is needed.
Plus, there is no disassembly needed.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:15 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Good grief!!
That guy turned a simple poke a hole with a stick into a nine-minute video. All you need is a piece of thin, stiff wire, long enough to hold on to ( like 10" ).
!
Old 10-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Weep holes on are on the outside of the window frame. On older trailers, they may even have a plastic cover over the top (open at the bottom). There should be slots on the inside of the window frame that allows condensation on the inside to drain to the outside. Those slots are narrow and about 3/8" long (or less).

I like weed wacker plastic to clear the weep holes in my trailers. Nothing to scratch the surface but ridged enough to do the trick. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #17

Name: Jack
Iowa
Fixed similar leaking window on scamp by removing rubber vinyl gasket on outside of window. This removed easily and could clean entire area around window as it filled up with tree pollen road dust and even some small ants. Once cleaned just replaced same gasket and no more leaks. Also use weed wacker string to occasionally clean weep holes from outside.
jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows