Leaving the Power ON - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #15

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
Hello all, I was just wondering if it's a good idea to leave my 16' scamp plugged into the house when ever we're not using it? Or just a day or two before we go on a trip? Could it hurt anything leaving it plugged in? Thanx
Hi James
I always did check my battery when trailer was plugged in.Not because i knew anything about batteries boiling over and being wrecked.It was just something i did.I now , because i have learned a few things from this forum very seldom plug in.If i do its only to charge battery under my own strick control or vaccum or small things like that.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #16

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Hi
My 16' Casita had a new converter installe in 2004..... It's a Parallax Model 7345RU 45 amp...... Does this converter have the smart charger?______ Can it be left plugged in all the time with the battery hooked?______
I looked all thru the small manual i received but couldn't find these answers...... One nice thing is this converter is completely silent.
Joe
Joe,

None of the Parallax converters I'm aware of have a smart charger. On my first Casita (1999), after frying two batteries, I upgraded the original 6345 to the 7345RU and it fried another battery within 3 months. I threw it away and installed a PD9160 with the Charge Wizard; no more worries.

When I bought my current Casita (2003), it had the Parallax 7345. I threw it away and installed a PD9160 with Charge Wizard; no worries.

The PD9200 series has the Charge Wizard built in. I bought mine before the PD9200 was available. The <strike>9260</strike> 9160 fit right in to the chassis after removing the old converter, I don't know if the 9260 has the same dimensions.

If you keep the Parallax, don't keep the trailer plugged in. Just plug in once a month or before a trip to charge the battery and then unplug after 24 hours. Always check the water level in the battery after charging.

On edit: The [b]9160 fit right in to the chassis after removing the old converter, sorry.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Morgan
Thanks for that parallax reply as you already had one............. i will be sure not to keep it plugged in and i see you purchased the PD9200 ...... Is that still a parallax product or is it someone else?
thanks,
joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
The "PD" products are from Progressive Dynamics, while the Parallax products come from Parallax Power Supply.

The Parallax 7345RU appears to be a 45-amp upgrade unit (installed in an earlier series of power center) which produces 13.8 volts continuously. While this mode of operation will certainly charge a battery, it is not a multistage charger design - it will not charge quickly, and it will not back off when the battery shouldn't be charged more. So, it appears to me that
  • no - it does not have a smart charger; and ,
  • no - it should not be left continuously connected to a battery without monitoring.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...I looked all thru the small manual i received but couldn't find these answers.....
No kidding. The Parallax 7300 Series Owner Operator Manual is not a stellar achievement in documentation... to me, it's borderline misleading.

The manual does actually suggest that you can leave it hooked up all of the time; however, if you "read between the lines" of the various sections, it is apparent that this power supply's operating voltage (13.8) is actually too high for this type of operation, which is called "float" mode.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #20

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Morgan
Thanks for that parallax reply as you already had one............. i will be sure not to keep it plugged in and i see you purchased the PD9200 ...... Is that still a parallax product or is it someone else?
thanks,
joe
Brian is right, Joe.

Follow the link in my first post in this thread (#7). It leads to Best Converters, that's where I bought the two I've installed. They have well documented instructions for replacing various old converters with the Progressive Dynamics ones.

Brian is also right about Parallax documentation. The only thing worse than their documentation is their customer service. Apparently Parallax has the RV OEM market sewn up for their converters although a few manufacturers have switched to Progressive Dynamics.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #21

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Morgan........
I clicked on your link and it is a good site and have saved it in my favorites for future reference..... while the parallax i have is quiet and works fairly well for a dumb charger (which i will upgrade when it goes bad) i'm still trying to save up for SOLAR with the multi stage control box
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #22

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Hello all, I was just wondering if it's a good idea to leave my 16' scamp plugged into the house when ever we're not using it? Or just a day or two before we go on a trip? Could it hurt anything leaving it plugged in? Thanx
Wouldn't it be real simple to put in a cut-off switch to the battery so that you can put it in the circuit when you need it, and off when you don't?
You then can keep the trailer plugged in all the time without risking boiling the battery dry, and occasionally put it in circuit to put a charge to it.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #23

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Quote:
Wouldn't it be real simple to put in a cut-off switch to the battery so that you can put it in the circuit when you need it, and off when you don't?
You then can keep the trailer plugged in all the time without risking boiling the battery dry, and occasionally put it in circuit to put a charge to it.
That's what I done. Have had my dead-silent Parallax 7430 converter for over 2 years with no troubles. Have forgotten about it a few times and left everything plugged in in the back yard a few weeks with no resulting battery damage.

The Parallex "flyer-owners manual" claims the 7400 series is "maintenance free...so self-sufficient...will not interfere with other electrical equipment..." and has a "Timer circuit ...optimized to minimize over-charging." It also does say check non-maintenance free batteries' water level often. And, they recommend disconnecting those kind of batteries during extended periods of inactive use, which seems to me like [b]very casual advice for avoiding a boiled battery. You gotta love those corporation writers. So helpful.

I got a maintenance free battery, (wonder if that makes a difference?)
...Cut off switch at Wallyworld.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
i contcted the manufacturer of my scamp converter and they assured me their converter would not fry or boil the battery. having taken them at their word, am leaving my unit plugged in all the time.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I trust they will replace your battery if something goes wrong... Did you tell them you would be leaving it connected for months at a time?

When I called Magnatek a few years back and asked about battery charging, the tech said that I would likely be a lot happier with a "real battery charger". YMMV!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #26
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
When I called Magnatek a few years back and asked about battery charging, the tech said that I would likely be a lot happier with a "real battery charger". YMMV!
Which is the very reason that most of us are going away from Magnateks, IMHO.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 AM   #27

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
I trust they will replace your battery if something goes wrong... Did you tell them you would be leaving it connected for months at a time?

Pete, Perhaps I should ask them that very question. I would be interested i their response.
We leave our unit plugged in all summer and do not unload the fridge. that is basicaly why we do it, so as not to have to do that job if we decide to hook up and go for an ovenight outing. Do most people unload every time they get home?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #28

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I unload all perisable items.