Leaving the Power ON - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #29

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
--><div class='quotemain'>Do most people unload every time they get home?[/quote]
I generally unload the refrigerator and shut it off, although I have left it on for several days in preparation for another trip.

For me, this is not a battery issue, since my converter disconnects the battery; I wouldn't run the refrigerator on 12VDC at home anyway, so the converter would not need to be on (it can be shut off even when shore power is connected, by flipping a circuit breaker).

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Which is the very reason that most of us are going away from Magnateks, IMHO.
Let me be clear that I wasn't finding fault with Magnetek (aka Parallax I believe), per se. The converter in question was from an early 1980's trailer, before the smart charging technology was available. I believe upgrade kits are available for Magneteks.

Point is, unless you pay the extra bucks for the multi-stage battery charging function, a basic, run-of-the-mill converter makes a good power supply and a poor charger.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #31

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
I trust they will replace your battery if something goes wrong... Did you tell them you would be leaving it connected for months at a time?

When I called Magnatek a few years back and asked about battery charging, the tech said that I would likely be a lot happier with a "real battery charger". YMMV!
Pete, I emailed the tech suport at my converter manufacturer and of course have not recieved an answer. His original repy to my querry was about a month ago when he said the converter charges the battery until is 98% full and then scales down the charge to a trickle. He has not responded to any subsequesnt questions. I did place a call to Scamp service dept this morning and left a message as to what they would advise, whether to leave plugged in or not, have yet to get an answer back.
Will let you know their anseer.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #32

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
I trust they will replace your battery if something goes wrong... Did you tell them you would be leaving it connected for months at a time?

When I called Magnatek a few years back and asked about battery charging, the tech said that I would likely be a lot happier with a "real battery charger". YMMV!
The Scamp service dept called me back and said if you leave it plugged all the time you might be more susceptable to a power surge from an electrical storm (which are fairly common in the midwest). so long as the limit switch is working porperly there should be no problem with leaving the unit plugged in all the time.
they did not advise me as to whether they would recomend doing it or not.
so far their customer service has been very good , having called on them several times with questions and always getting an answer.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #33

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One of the Yahoo Scampers just posted that according to the factory, his Magnetek is supposed to turn off the charging when the battery reaches 12.2VDC so it won't boil the battery. Problem is, that's only 60% charged according to the charge table in 12V Side of Life... It won't boil it, but it won't charge it right either.