Leaving the Power ON - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to JamesBeck
Hello all, I was just wondering if it's a good idea to leave my 16' scamp plugged into the house when ever we're not using it? Or just a day or two before we go on a trip? Could it hurt anything leaving it plugged in? Thanx
JamesBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I don't have the expertise to give you an absolute, concrete factual answer. What I can tell you is that I believe that if you have a good converter (or you aren't set up with charging through your converter) then you'll be fine. I have heard of some who do leave theirs plugged in and keep the frig running all the time. No problem. I think some are concerned about boiling their batteries dry, but if you have a good charge controller (or disconnect the battery) I don't see a problem.

Many times I have left mine plugged in for weeks/months so that I could run the A/C or heater when needed. I've had my trailer for five years and have no problem at all.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Ours is plugged in, the battery disconnected so it will not boil dry, the fridge off however I run a dehumidifyer inside to get rid of the moisture and it runs.

I have a moisture ridding heat type of device that I run in the winter. It is extremely low watts and is just enough to keep the unit dry.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #4

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I leave mine plugged in all the time, everything available and batteries charged at all times. BUT, that did not work with the original converter which boiled out the batteries out prematurely. The current converter is a four-stage and smart enough not to do that. In the winter this means an electric heater can keep the trailer at a preset baseline temperature and no lower.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If I had a converter with a multi-stage charger (or disconnected the battery) and had a reefer, I might leave it plugged in so the reefer didn't mildew and was cool when I wanted to roll. Also for the heating in cold weather.

OTOH, I probably wouldn't because I'm a bit frugal when paying for stuf like electricity...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to JamesBeck
Hey Per, Where did you buy your four-stage converter? How much? Did you put it in a Scamp?
JamesBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
James, check this link: Best Converter

You can also check their site for directions to replace most existing converters.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I normally leave mine plugged in, but with nothing running. In hot weather it's nice to have ventilation, so I turn on the converter to have power for a vent fan without running down the battery. In a wetter climate, I would run a dehumidifier.

If the converter is not one you want running all the time, there are likely a couple of options:
  1. turn it off - there is often a switch, in my case the 120VAC circuit breaker which feeds it can be turned off
  2. it may be possible to disconnect the converter/charger from the battery without having to take off any battery cables; again, some have a switch; my converter does not even have a charger and when the converter is on the battery is automatically disconnected
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I think some are concerned about boiling their batteries dry, [b]but if you have a good charge controller (or disconnect the battery) I don't see a problem.
I was one of those folks who boiled a new battery dry (and unusable) by keeping my trailer plugged in 24/7. [b]I do not have a good charge controller. Did you hear that, Santa?
Old 07-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Frederick, Sounds like justification for purchasing one of those Wallyworld unconditional money back batteries. They have a 2 year and a 3 year model where the first 2 – 3 years you get a 100% replacement or your refund should they go bad.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #11

Registry
James:
Morgan's link points to the one I installed: IntelliPower 9200 series. My Burro came with a Newmark, but as I looked at it it was obviously an antiquated design. The replacement was easily grafted onto the back of the "Electrocenter" and I saved 9 lbs in the bargain. I retained the distribution panel but grafted on a 12v fuse block from Blue Sea Systems to eliminate the other blatantly underengineered part of the converter. I got my new converter from an Ebay seller at a substantial savings over retail. A very satisfactory solution for my purposes.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hi
My 16' Casita had a new converter installe in 2004..... It's a Parallax Model 7345RU 45 amp...... Does this converter have the smart charger?______ Can it be left plugged in all the time with the battery hooked?______
I looked all thru the small manual i received but couldn't find these answers...... One nice thing is this converter is completely silent.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #13

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
After reading this thread I'm guessing I need to think about changing out the original converter in my 1979 Burro. Seems to me I'v heard the term "Money Pit" here on the forum before....
I asked on another thread if I should be afraid of this thing and some asked if it was ticking!
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Converter_2_com.jpg  
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #14

Registry
Joe:
Don't know about the Parallax, but if it is a multi-stage one I would think the manual would advertise it. Maybe an email to the manufacturer?
My old converter buzzed, and I was happy to have it buried inside under the bed. The new one (45Amps) seems to make no sound whatever, even though it has a fan. The fan apparently only goes on when the unit is stressed to the max or if it is installed without adequate clearance for the heat to dissipate. Cost me about $150 or so.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Hello all, I was just wondering if it's a good idea to leave my 16' scamp plugged into the house when ever we're not using it? Or just a day or two before we go on a trip? Could it hurt anything leaving it plugged in? Thanx
Hi James
I always did check my battery when trailer was plugged in.Not because i knew anything about batteries boiling over and being wrecked.It was just something i did.I now , because i have learned a few things from this forum very seldom plug in.If i do its only to charge battery under my own strick control or vaccum or small things like that.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Hi
My 16' Casita had a new converter installe in 2004..... It's a Parallax Model 7345RU 45 amp...... Does this converter have the smart charger?______ Can it be left plugged in all the time with the battery hooked?______
I looked all thru the small manual i received but couldn't find these answers...... One nice thing is this converter is completely silent.
Joe
Joe,

None of the Parallax converters I'm aware of have a smart charger. On my first Casita (1999), after frying two batteries, I upgraded the original 6345 to the 7345RU and it fried another battery within 3 months. I threw it away and installed a PD9160 with the Charge Wizard; no more worries.

When I bought my current Casita (2003), it had the Parallax 7345. I threw it away and installed a PD9160 with Charge Wizard; no worries.

The PD9200 series has the Charge Wizard built in. I bought mine before the PD9200 was available. The <strike>9260</strike> 9160 fit right in to the chassis after removing the old converter, I don't know if the 9260 has the same dimensions.

If you keep the Parallax, don't keep the trailer plugged in. Just plug in once a month or before a trip to charge the battery and then unplug after 24 hours. Always check the water level in the battery after charging.

On edit: The [b]9160 fit right in to the chassis after removing the old converter, sorry.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Morgan
Thanks for that parallax reply as you already had one............. i will be sure not to keep it plugged in and i see you purchased the PD9200 ...... Is that still a parallax product or is it someone else?
thanks,
joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #18

The "PD" products are from Progressive Dynamics, while the Parallax products come from Parallax Power Supply.

The Parallax 7345RU appears to be a 45-amp upgrade unit (installed in an earlier series of power center) which produces 13.8 volts continuously. While this mode of operation will certainly charge a battery, it is not a multistage charger design - it will not charge quickly, and it will not back off when the battery shouldn't be charged more. So, it appears to me that
  • no - it does not have a smart charger; and ,
  • no - it should not be left continuously connected to a battery without monitoring.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #19

Quote:
...I looked all thru the small manual i received but couldn't find these answers.....
No kidding. The Parallax 7300 Series Owner Operator Manual is not a stellar achievement in documentation... to me, it's borderline misleading.

The manual does actually suggest that you can leave it hooked up all of the time; however, if you "read between the lines" of the various sections, it is apparent that this power supply's operating voltage (13.8) is actually too high for this type of operation, which is called "float" mode.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Morgan
Thanks for that parallax reply as you already had one............. i will be sure not to keep it plugged in and i see you purchased the PD9200 ...... Is that still a parallax product or is it someone else?
thanks,
joe
Brian is right, Joe.

Follow the link in my first post in this thread (#7). It leads to Best Converters, that's where I bought the two I've installed. They have well documented instructions for replacing various old converters with the Progressive Dynamics ones.

Brian is also right about Parallax documentation. The only thing worse than their documentation is their customer service. Apparently Parallax has the RV OEM market sewn up for their converters although a few manufacturers have switched to Progressive Dynamics.