LED Replacement Bulbs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #1

Name: Bobby
Trailer: Trillium 4500, Casita f/d ,1987 boler voyageur,1988bigfoot5er
Ontario
LED Replacement Bulbs

Hey there experts! I want to swap out my existing bulbs for LED's .
I live in Canada , is it possible to purchase these at ; let's say Crappy Tire, or the local auto supplier? I am sure they will want some kind of product #.
Bobby
Bobby Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I purchased LEDs for our Scamp on line at Amazon about 3 years ago. I imagine they've improved since then and dropped in price.

As an example this month I purchased 110 VAC replacement LED bulbs for our Florida home. They were about $7 apiece and came in two colors white and yellow (traditional incandescent color). I prefer the white for reading and the yellow for general lighting. Typically they draw about a 1/10th of the current.

Here's an example of the typical RV LED. I find it interesting that they are more expensive then replacements for traditional home incandescent bulbs.

http://www.amazon.com/GRV-Ba15s-Brig...4ZP6V046XKPPH7

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Kirk View Post
Hey there experts! I want to swap out my existing bulbs for LED's .
I live in Canada , is it possible to purchase these at ; let's say Crappy Tire, or the local auto supplier? I am sure they will want some kind of product #.
Bobby
Most of the Auto parts stores as well as Crappy Tire sell them but you will find your paying pretty high $'s for ones that may not be the best.

Use the Search function on this site to fine lots of threads regarding what to buy and not to buy and where from. On the drop down use the bottom box Google for the best returns.

Those of us in Canada tend to buy on line as well from a US Store for the best deal. You can order a few at a time and have them mailed - you do not pay any duty if they value of the lights is under $20. Many of us living close to the border use a border mail service and just drive down and pick up the order when going across for a week-end. Often though folks just drive across to pick up the parcel and return and declare what you picked up and more often than not you are simple waved through. Odds of having to go in and pay duty is actually pretty low.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #4

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I got mine on eBay. They were shipped from China. When you get them be sure and get the 5050 type LED. They are brighter and get a bulb with 18 LEDs.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It's more important to know what kind of base fits into your fixtures than to know a part number. Most commonly, RV interior light bulbs are a round base like 1156/1157 or a wedge base (T10? I forget exactly). If you pull out one of yours, you can see what kind you have... and who knows, it may even have a number printed on its base.

You can browse some of what's available at http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/ and see pictures of the different bases. You'll note that some sellers, like superbrightleds.com , will go so far as to list the lumens output, the color temperature (cool white or neutral white or warm white, the latter being closest to incandescents in appearance).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:26 AM   #6

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
I'm sure CT does not have them. At a RV store near by charged me $25 for one light.
I would go on line for them. Also I wold suggest getting the 24 led panel with the 1156 plug/insert. Do ot oer gettingthe
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:31 AM   #7

British Columbia
sorry having problems with my lap top. Do not bother getting the led 1156 round looking bulbs. Half the lights do not shine down.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:16 AM   #8

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Is there instruction as to how to replace? Or is it a rather simple procedure?
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:26 AM   #9

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Janice -

1. Remove the plastic lens cover. (Maybe the hardest part?)
2. Identify the bulb type/number. (Interior = 921? Exterior/porch = 1003?)
3. Get replacement LED bulbs. (Check lumens and color temperature .. I prefer about 5000K)
4. Replace bulb (some are polarity sensitive - no light=reverse in socket)
5. Replace lens cover.

See discussion in this thread .....
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=65947

Good luck! 😊

Ray

rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I went the cheaper route on eBay, and bought the Chinese LED's. I spent a fair bit of time checking them all, and thought I was getting something good. It turned out they were not near as good as the existing incandescent. I ended up spending a bunch more money, I think $15 a bulb from https://www.superbrightleds.com/ and am extremely happy with the resulting lights. Brighter than the existing, and WAY brighter than the Chinese ones.

I really should have know better than to cheap out on something that will last the life of the trailer, and provide me with the light we need.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #11

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Ray - Thank you so much! I do believe this will be one of the first things we do when the Trillium comes out of the barn!
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #12

British Columbia
On Saturday, I was cleaning out the bees from my furnace in the bff, and when it was all put back to gether and cycling I noticed the furnace fan would slow down when just one regular light was on but not with the led. I think its money well spent
Old 01-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
My lesson learned about LED lamps is to be sure to get a voltage regulated LED. If the bulb says its good at 12vDC you’re likely to burn out some of the emitters when your charger ouputs 13+ vDC during charging. If the LED says 10-15 vDC (or wider) you’re good-to-go.

I’ve had good luck with SuperBrightLEDs. The warm white LEDs put out slightly more light than the cool white units per a light meter I put on the side dinette table under the lights (despite what the specs say). The bulb I use is this one: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/bayonet-bulbs/1156-led-bulb-single-intensity-45-smd-led-tower/526/.

My light fixtures have a reflector so the LED light emissions on the "back" of the bulb get reflected back some. I pay more now to get LEDs that I know work for me rather than experiment with the cheaper ones directly from China. These may come from China too (I don't know where they're made) but they’re branded Philips and hopefully made to a higher specification. But, that's just my philosophy. YMMV.

One spec they don't usually show is RFI noise. These LEDs do have a low amount of interference that I will detect on my shortwave on weak stations. I usually just turn off the over dinette bulb and turn on a bulb farther from the antenna and that deals with it. (The shortwave sits on the dinette table, just under the bulbs.)

There is a brighter bulb just under the one I buy but it's oversized and I haven't checked whether it would fit in my fixtures. And it uses twice the current and I can read just fine with the 220 lumens unit.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #14

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Send a message via MSN to Bobbiemae
I saw some in WalMart lastnight but I think about $25 for the casing.
Bobbiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If you're talking about the square fixtures the best I have found in what they call panel lights.
They have 36 leds all pointing in the same direction on an I 1/2 inch square plastic base with 3m VHB tape on the back which is just right for the square fixtures.

I've searched all over and the best prices are on eBay.

I have them in my slide in camper, 13' Scamp and have used them in at least 5 Eggs I have refurbished and sold.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
led lights

Look up Deals Extreme on line you will have to wait a bit to get them .They seam to less than half of C tire or rv shops .3 t0 4 weeks wait.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #17

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
In the thread that I referred Janice to, the 921 LEDs are $9.95 on Amazon.com.
I don't know what bulbs the Trillium uses.

Ray

rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #18

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
LEDs

Try ACE Hardware.com item #8375727 All of the light is directed downward.
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #19

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Many of the LED's may come way down in price over the next couple of years. Last year at our hardware store, with the regional electric company buy-down we had some Standard A or Medium base 115v 9w & 10w dimmable LED bulbs for sale at only $1 each! They are gone now. At the same time, and now, the big stores were and are selling these bulbs for $5-$10 each. This week's best Walmart price in this area is $9.97 for a 2 pak of 60 w equivalent 120v LED bulbs. So, look for "electric company subsidized" sales at local stores and at the big stores. The 9 & 10 watt LED bulbs are "60 watt replacement" but the ones we had were as bright as a traditional 75w bulb.

Walmart has 2 paks of 12v 9 LED, 921/922 wedge base bulbs for $8.96. My mistake was buying a 2 pak. They are not even close in brightness to a incandescent 921 bulb which is about 18w.

M4products.com lists a 12v 921type wedge base 24/5050LED which claims 360 lumens for $10 each. If it's true, that one should be brighter than a standard incandescent 921 bulb.

Note if replacing 921/922 type bulbs: These type of bulbs are also used for low voltage landscape lighting. Landscape bulbs of the 921 type are available at Walmart, HDep., Lowes and Hardware Stores. They will work. But careful, if you need or want a bright bulb. Those bulbs come in 4w, 7w, 11w, etc versions and the standard automotive 921 is 18w. Some stores also have them in colors. Blue, Red, Amber and Green are common.
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #20

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
LED Ceiling Light

Since the Eggcamper has good interior height, I decided to install an overhead light. The fixture was $10 at Walmart, and has a standard base socket. So, a 60w equivalent 800 lumen LED bulb or a standard bulb will work fine. Fairly easy install. Managed to snake the romex through from the R. Front closet to a holesaw hole drilled just forward of the vent. Works great and No headbumps. Now we have both 12v and 120v lighting.
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote