Li'l Bigfoot owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I'm wondering how the upper cabinets are normally held in place in the Li'l Bigfeet trailers, can anyone tell me?

The one I just picked up is a project and a half, and they will probably end up coming out during renos, but I'm not sure if the BOLTS through the roof were the stock method of holding them up there. I've never seen that before, so I'm sorta thinking 'no', but who knows .

Thanks (and be prepared for a multitude questions in the future)
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I'm wondering how the upper cabinets are normally held in place in the Li'l Bigfeet trailers, can anyone tell me?

The one I just picked up is a project and a half, and they will probably end up coming out during renos, but I'm not sure if the BOLTS through the roof were the stock method of holding them up there. I've never seen that before, so I'm sorta thinking 'no', but who knows .

The roof has wood supports that the cabinets are fastened to. If someone installed bolts through the body that was not a factory job. We have a 95 BF17CB I just looked at.
Good luck
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
Quote:

Hi Lainey, Our Lil Bigfoot upper cabinets were bolted thru the the roof. Our 17' Bigfoot were not. Keith
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Hi Lainey, Our Lil Bigfoot upper cabinets were bolted thru the the roof. Our 17' Bigfoot were not. Keith
Hi Keith. Who would have thought.
My 17' isn't bolted thru and any Boler's I've seen aren't either, so I thought maybe the PO did it, although they claimed (accurately) it was like that when they bought the trailer new in 1989.

Have these bolts caused any issues for anyone?
Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
Have these bolts caused any issues for anyone?
Not so far.

I wonder if the upper cabinets in the 17's mentioned were bolted thru the inner shell only. Or if it was as simple as the upper cabinets in those are supported by other cabinetry beneath. I can't recall what was below them in the trailer.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Not so far.

I wonder if the upper cabinets in the 17's mentioned were bolted thru the inner shell only. Or if it was as simple as the upper cabinets in those are supported by other cabinetry beneath. I can't recall what was below them in the trailer.
Good question. On the 17' there must be some sort of attachment into the wood strapping on the ceiling somehow. The upper cabinets along the front sure don't have anything supporting them from below.

Does anyone know how the bolts on the 13' covered on the exterior of the roof from the factory?
Old 08-31-2008, 03:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13.5 ft
my '88 13.5 bigfoot has the through bolts. It's in original condition. They support the cabinets. Looks to me as if a thick resin was used to seal the bolts.....

I was actually wondering if they would make a good attachment point for a light roof rack for canoe or kayak.
Bob from BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #8

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 13 ft 1989
The cabinets are held in place by 3/8 bolts thru the roof AND blind screws into the walls. There are embedded strips of wood glued to the fiberglass in various places. This wood replaces the insulation. The cabinets are attached to these strips of wood (2" x 5/8").

Since this trailer is a single wall structure, the roof is not particularly strong. My trailer has collapsed around some of these bolt locations due to excessive weight. I would not try to carry anything on the top of one of these trailers.
Craig CC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot