Lighten Up - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-14-2006, 11:56 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
hummm maybe here: Pricing

I believe that pricing is for a standard steel tank, not for the composite

Old 04-15-2006, 12:30 AM   #16

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
You could be right about that. In that case, the lite tank may be 40-50% ligher and 20-30% more pricey.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:34 AM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
You could be right about that. In that case, the lite tank may be 40-50% ligher and 20-30% more pricey.

Sounds about right.
I think the prices will have to come down.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:07 AM   #18

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
Bought ours from www.litecylinder.com. Sheri answers the phone....very nice. If you go to their website, you will find that they now have a manufactureing plant right there in Franklin, TN. as of March 7.
we paid $75./ including shipping and tax.
they came from Scandanvia.
have seen other websites that charge $120-125/
Old 04-15-2006, 07:33 AM   #19

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
You can also buy aluminum tanks at marine stores, unfortunately for a rather premium price also.

On the other hand, there isn't much wrong with good old fashioned steel propane tanks, especially at the price you can get them for. And if you want designer colors, paint away. That even includes candy apple metalics. Try to find a plastic one, say candy apple purple!

Also, the extra weight is only a significant factor when the tanks are empty. When the tanks are full, the proportionate weight difference is reduced.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #20

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
The only "legal" colors for metal propane tanks according to our local propane place are silver, white or very light tan. They won't recert tanks that are any other color.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #21

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
New tanks also seem to be limited to these colors, presumably due to their reflective properties. There would be less heat build-up under direct sunlight and less pressure build-up accordingly.

This opinion could extend to the re-fillers as well as to the re-certifiers, and a person with a hot pink tank could find it difficult to get it filled.

Oh well, a person who feels it necessary to indulge in having a hot pink propane tank could make a covering for it of hot pink vinyl. That way it would match in a complementary way the pink plastic flamingos that have been so popular.

There seems to be a way around just about any stupid requirement.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #22

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2001 4wd 6cyl Silverado
Hi. These composite type cylinders are very interesting, and I would buy one to alleviate my already overburdened 6 cylinder silverado towing a scamp 5th wheel. Iam just wondering how well they would fare in a rear end collision, especially in a fifth wheel, as the tanks are facing the rear bumper, with no protection at all... Just a thought..............Paul Smith Orlando fl.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:59 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Yes but Chris, As Donna (I think it was her that bought one) for a propane tank guage that tells you how much you have left in your tank...
A pressure gauge can indicate that a tank which is in use is about to run out, various termperature measurement tricks can give an approximate level, and a tank can always be weighed, but I have yet to see anyone produce an actual level gauge which is combined with an OPD. Seeing the liquid level in a tank would seem to be a real advantage to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #24

Name: Weldon
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
Texas
Quote:
A pressure gauge can indicate that a tank which is in use is about to run out, various termperature measurement tricks can give an approximate level, and a tank can always be weighed, but I have yet to see anyone produce an actual level gauge which is combined with an OPD. Seeing the liquid level in a tank would seem to be a real advantage to me.
This weekend I bought a guage to go on my Burro's tank, that tells me the amount in my tank. I paid about 14.00 bucks for it in the out-door grilling section at Wal-mart.
It works fine. Gives a large green area for full, then an area for low, and small area "red" telling you , you are out pretty soon. Pretty usefull. I used it a lot Saturday and it worked fine.

weldon
Old 04-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #25

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
This weekend I bought a guage to go on my Burro's tank, that tells me the amount in my tank...Pretty usefull. I used it a lot Saturday and it worked fine.
I'm not sure how it is possible to know if this really works unless you see what it shows under various conditions and compare the readings to weights.

My guess is that the gauge said full at the beginning, said something lower later in the day, and after a few days sitting around it will say full again - because it is almost certainly a pressure gauge. As the tank is used, the propane cools down and the pressure drops. A really severe drop is the liquid finally running out. While this seems to be a useful scheme, it doesn't let me go the parked trailer, look at the gauge, and see if there is enough in the tank for a trip.

If the gauge is just installed on the outlet from the tank, there's no way for it to "see" anything other than pressure.

-------------------------------

By the way, I finally got around to searching for our last discussion of both the composite tanks and level indications: [b]Propane tank Level?, How do you tell how much propane is left? The same Lite Cylinder was the subject.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #26

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
Donna good find!

Price for 20lb composite tank is $121 at eweedcontrol.com. Weight empty is 12.5lbs.

I have a 20lb Worthington aluminum tank (these are beautiful polished-up). $130 at vintagetrailersupply.com, 14lbs.

Steel 20lb are $45-55 bucks anywhere and weigh between 17-18lbs.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:01 AM   #27

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
I will undoubtedly buy a couple of the domestic production tanks once they're available on the market for a while, even if they're $75 each just for the 'gee whiz' factor. The see-through is nice if you only have one tank, but if you have two, and an auto-switch regulator, it really doesn't make any difference when you run out; you always have another 20lbs in reserve. The eight or ten pound weight reduction for the pair of composit tanks over steel really isn't significant enough to make much difference on your tongue weight though. And even at $75 each, that's still nearly $50 each more per tank than you can buy steel 20lb Manchester tanks at Sam's for. I think I paid $26 each for two tanks last year at Sam's.

Roger
Old 04-26-2006, 07:50 AM   #28

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
The difference in weight does not justify the price for my 13 ft'er. It might make a difference on the larger models, but my water tank with over 100 lbs more than counterbalances a propane tank and a battery. Now double tank or extra large ones could be altogether different.