Lighter Trillium? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
I think before you can determine what you can remove/or do without you have to make a few trips with the trailer to see what you really will use and what you can really do without.We use very little water,as all our drinking water is brought with us in a container.However we always travel with a small amount of water in the tank.Just in case.On one trip we were parked at a campground that had only one source of water.It happened to be a very looooooog way from our trailer.That tank water came in handy for washing dishes etc.We had thought of getting rid of the furnace because we usually just use a small electric heater to take the chill off.BUT what happens if we have to camp where there is no hydro.A furnace that could run on propane would certainly be useful.Cutting down on the weight of the trailer is a great idea,but I think we pack a lot of things that are really not necessary and are usually not used.Some of these things go with us on every trip and are still never used.This is where we could cut down on weight.

Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #16
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Get a drill!
In the 70's/80's the bike industry went weight crazy. Racers were drilling out just about anything on the bike; sometimes with disasterous results. An added bonus is that you could call her the "Drillium"!
Or, get a bigger tug and bring the kitchen sink. My trillium is going backwards; 2 T-105's on the tongue, Allure floor, ect.

Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"

We have no problem towing our Trillium with our 2000 Outback, capacity 2000#. Our Trill weighed in at 1650# with a few things onboard.
Attached Thumbnails
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey

Our bare bones 13 Scamp weighs in around 1500 lbs. I think we have pulled it about 30,000 miles and figured after several years we ought to top off our 20 lb tank. Mostly we make coffee in the morning and warm the Scamp while making our hot water.

Fred took it in, the guy hefted it and said, "this is going to take 2 or maybe 3 pounds, you really want to do this?". Fred told him it was the wife's order so he topped it off for us.

Really, I did the hot water down the side trick and we figured it only had about a fourth of a tank left. Guess I should have got out the scale.

I want a light weight 10 pound clear tank like the link above. No more red face when I take the tank for a fill in 2014.

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Pat has very good advice! We just got our Perris Pacer, and I was all for "stripping it down". BUT, as Pat says, I decided to wait till I know what I want/need, etc. And you know, with this economy, I be LIVING in the camper, so I better wait---I may need that heater and fridge!

Nancy--what a cool find!! Does anybody out there have one of these clear tanks??? How does it hold up???
1988 Perris Pacer
2010 Honda Ridgeline
2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
Name: Daniel
Trailer: '74 Trillium 1300
In that same line of thinking, I would put more emphasis on what kind of camping you like to do and what are the amenities or equipment that you enjoy having based on your own experience rather than starting off by getting rid of all of the things that differenciate the trailer from a tent. Think long term. The amount of weight you'll be trimming off will most likely be marginal anyway so if you're worried about pulling a trailer now, removing 50 or 150 pounds isn't going to make you feel that much better. I think any vehicle with a 2000+ tow rating should have no problem whatsoever pulling a 13-footer. Mind you, I'd still get brakes and drive carefully at all times regardless of the tow vehicle, but I would personally get a more capable vehicle before considering getting rid of all the goodies, as making the experience enjoyable is what this is all about.
Driving on parkways and parking in driveways.
Daniel V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:07 PM   #21
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Some of the weights are "hidden". Under the cushions are particle board "storage hatch" covers that could be replaced with lighter materials. The dining table is incredibly heavy and could be replaced with something lighter.

As for replacing 2 20 Lb tanks with 2 10's or 5's ... remember that a single tank weighs less than 2 smaller ones.

Like others have said, go through what you carry. The first few years while we were restoring we were constantly removing tools and repair materials in and out of the trailer and packing up gear in a hodge podge. We finally got to the point where we could sort our gear and pack the trailer once and for all. We soon discovered we had duplicates of many things we really didn't need. Most memorable was realizing that we had been carrying around 5 egg flippers in our little egg.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #22
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

I was thinking maybe sub some of the steel frame with aluminum or something.
Steel and aluminum do not mix well, so it needs to be all steel or all aluminum.
A member here used to own an 1980something 13' Burro that was manufactured with an aluminum frame. It was weak at the bend where the tongue begins, and cracked there. After it was repaired and reinforced, the next owner experienced having the tongue break completely off!

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote