Lighter Trillium? - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Although we haven't bought one yet, we looked at a Trillium last night and just loved it. The size, layout, quality everything are perfect. However, it is approaching our max tow-able weight so we were wondering if there were any mods that could decrease the weight. I was thinking maybe sub some of the steel frame with aluminum or something. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Linda.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I would not touch the frame myself. We have never used the water tank on ours so we personally I would pitch that. We also have never used the porta potty in ours. You could remove the 20lb tank and replace it with a 10lb tank for some savings there (10lb's still last a long time if you aren't using the furnace). What is your max tow capacity with your Subaru?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
I would not touch the frame myself. We have never used the water tank on ours so we personally I would pitch that. We also have never used the porta potty in ours. You could remove the 20lb tank and replace it with a 10lb tank for some savings there (10lb's still last a long time if you aren't using the furnace). What is your max tow capacity with your Subaru?
Good memory Booker! We have a 2000lb limit on the legacy. Same as your Forester I believe? Maybe I'm just worrying for no reason. We we're looking at a couple of rental units; a boler and a trillium. Both really sweet and we felt the Trillium would be a better fit but the owner thought it might be a bit heavy for our car. Did you say you had trailer brakes? I can't remember..
Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #4

Yes, we have trailer brakes on ours. I bought the Trillium I have now because our plan was to do some longer road trips with our kids and I wanted to feel safe traveling through the Rockies.

Our limit on the forester is 2400lbs. There have been several members with Legacies who have towed Boler's and Trilliums without complaints - some have even towed the Trillium 4500's and Surfsides (15' trailers). Our 13' Trillium trailer totally loaded without water (including tools, bikes and bike racks, food, lots of books and bedding/clothes for 4) was 1890 lbs. We have since added an awning and a portable BBQ but no longer take the bikes or bike racks on trips longer then 2 hours.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #5

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I would imagine that replacing the (relatively) heavy particle board cabinet and cubby doors would take away some weight (and could be aesthetically pleasing as well).

It would be fun to take all the cupboard, closet, and cubby doors out, put them in a pile, and weight them, wouldn't it?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I would imagine that replacing the (relatively) heavy particle board cabinet and cubby doors would take away some weight (and could be aesthetically pleasing as well).

It would be fun to take all the cupboard, closet, and cubby doors out, put them in a pile, and weight them, wouldn't it?

Not my idea of fun, but to each his own!

For light weight cabinet doors, you make them of denim or canvas with rolled hems. A spot of velcro at the corners makes a good latch.

Alternately, you could make replacement doors of 5mm plywood. A piano hinge at top and a batten on the outside bottom shaped to be a handle would keep it from warping.

I'm all for eliminating water tanks, pumps and piping on small RVs. Just work out of a gallon milk bottle and carry your extra in the tow vehicle. It works just fine.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #7

If it has a front bunk, you could take that out, if I remeber correctly, it weighs about 35 pounds.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #8

Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
We've removed the furnace and fridge from our 1978 13' Trillium (both non-working); we now use coolers (just bought a used 12V cooler) and either an electric cube space heater or propane catalytic heater. We don't use the inside water system, so no water tanks. We logged several thousand miles in the past year, pulling it with our 2006 Subaru Outback wagon - no problems.
Almost forgot...we also removed the bunk.
...MarvonW
Old 09-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #9

Marvon,

Just curious, have you weighed your Trillium since you removed the appliances and bunk? It would be interesting to know how light it is now, and even moreso if you had "before" and "after" weights.

Raya
Old 09-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #10

Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
Quote:
Marvon,

Just curious, have you weighed your Trillium since you removed the appliances and bunk?
Raya
Raya,

No, I haven't. I weighed it moderately loaded last May before removing appliances, but bunk was gone. It weighed 1650 lbs. (including full tank of gasoline). Perhaps I'll weigh it next time we have it loaded and traveling, and report back here.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #11

That would be great, if you get a chance; I bet quite a few people would be interested to know what it weighs now
Old 09-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #12

Name: Rusty
Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Washington
Raya, When I replaced the particle board on my Burro with 3/8 " birch plywood, I made a crude attempt to weigh each. I stood on the bathroom scale holding stuff then subtracted my weight. It's been a couple of years but as I recall the difference was only about 8-12 lbs so I was disappointed. Replacing the old carpet with the blue closed cell foam and linoleum also saved a few lbs. The foam and linoleum weigh less than 5 lbs together, versus two layers of dirty carpet which weighed about 20 lbs or more.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #13

Name: Mark
Trailer: '71 Boler 13 ft
Ontario
Registry
u have 2 do lots of little things 2 reduce weight, one im going 2 do is replace all cupboard doors with 3/32" aluminum sheeting
Old 10-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
TheTrailer Goddess an I put our Trillium on a diet (of sorts)!! We lost over 70lbs by downsizing propane tanks on the tongue. Since we use propane only for back-up/emergencys, we reduced (in stages) from the two twenty pounders, to two ten pounders, then (now) down to two five pounders WITH only one being filled at any time. As I stated we did this because we mainly use Alec Tricity and mainly camp in organized settings. We also further reduced weight by switching the tongue battery toa smaller sized optima! If you really want to loose trailer weight, you might also look at WHAT you are packing with you. Don't be packin stuff you won't use on that particular outting!!! .....just my 2 cents (Canadian, eh?)

Tags
trillium