Lights are yummy - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
This sounds straight forward enough. Its certainly worth a $2 to try it out. The whole idea in switching to LEDs is to reduce power consumption. It doesn't make sense to intentionally waste power making heat (even if the total power wasted to this purpose is minimal).

Derek

It could be a big mistake to mess with those things. After looking at the schematic and parts on the board there is NO RF suppression. Meaning the 150K (150 kilohertz) will be broadcast everywhere close, along with harmonics.
It's more than likely illegal to use in both Canada and the USA.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #42

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Oh and I almost forgot......"Lights are Yummy"??????

What?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #43

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
It could be a big mistake to mess with those things. After looking at the schematic and parts on the board there is NO RF suppression. Meaning the 150K (150 kilohertz) will be broadcast everywhere close, along with harmonics.
It's more than likely illegal to use in both Canada and the USA.
Oh great. Last week my Wagonmaster furnace went from Illegal people-killer to viable (and possibly highly desireable). Now my lighting system is an illegal RF poluter.

This device is going to be operating at a very low wattage. How far can you realistically expect the RF to travel?
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #44

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Oh great. Last week my Wagonmaster furnace went from Illegal people-killer to viable (and possibly highly desireable). Now my lighting system is an illegal RF poluter.

This device is going to be operating at a very low wattage. How far can you realistically expect the RF to travel?
Travel distance is dependent on many things. Effects on your neighbors TV, Radio, stereo, are hard to predict. Effects on ham radio, can be nasty. Fines start at about $10,000 for interfering with any licensed service, which includes police radio, fire department radio, etc.

Is it worth the risk.

Try using an LM 7805 device and eliminate the problem. For the wannabees that's a 5 volt linear regulator.

Here's a link to the data sheet.
FIgure 1. is a schematic of how to hook it up.

There's other ways but this is probably the simplest.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #45

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Travel distance is dependent on many things. Effects on your neighbors TV, Radio, stereo, are hard to predict. Effects on ham radio, can be nasty. Fines start at about $10,000 for interfering with any licensed service, which includes police radio, fire department radio, etc.

Is it worth the risk.

Try using an LM 7805 device and eliminate the problem. For the wannabees that's a 5 volt linear regulator.

Here's a link to the data sheet.
FIgure 1. is a schematic of how to hook it up.

There's other ways but this is probably the simplest.
If I am reading this this correctly, I can wire this in parallel between the circuit board recommended by Thomas G and the led light. If I do this the RF noise will be filtered out. Am I reading this correctly?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #46

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
If I am reading this this correctly, I can wire this in parallel between the circuit board recommended by Thomas G and the led light. If I do this the RF noise will be filtered out. Am I reading this correctly?
You use this in place of the circuit board.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #47

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Quote:
I qualify as a wannabee... (I'm a software guy, but while I've always enjoyed building stuff, I just never got into electronics, digital or otherwise...)

I read the spec sheet, but couldn't find any indication of how efficient these things are. If I'm drawing (for example) 6W off the output side of one of these, how much power is going in?

Also, can you point me at a good mail-order source for these and other useful parts in small volumes?

Thanks...
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #48

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Also, can you point me at a good mail-order source for these and other useful parts in small volumes?

Thanks...
Your profile says you are in Ontario. There is a chain of stores called "Sayal" which are a good option.

Active Electronics is more expensive then Sayal but they have a catalog that is much more diverse and complete.

If you don't care when it gets here, try ebay. Many components come shipped direct from china for pennies.

Derek
Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #49

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Although I have not seen peterh posting in a while, he has written volumes on LED's and electrical. Well worth a search.

Does anybody know what has happened to him?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights