Lights are yummy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Lights are yummy

Since I'm rewiring my Boler from scratch, I have the opportunity to put my lighting in wherever I want it. The original Boler came witjh lights on each side of the upper kitchen cabinet. I have heard comments that this light position is near useless. Where is the ideal location for lights? Where would you put them.

One trailer I saw had a shelf over the rear window. They mounted a light to the bottom of this. I have also seen some pictures on this forum with lights mounted behind the fantastic fan trim.

What light position ideas do you have?

Derek

PS It goes without saying that the new fixtures will be LED to minimize power consumption.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Derek, I dont have a Boler but on my Scamp I find having a LED three light bar on the underside of both sides of the kitchen overhead bins is far better than the original single light fixtures that Scamp had mounted on vertical surfaces in the kitchen area (one near the sink and the other at the end of the overhead) - in particular the one located on the end of the overhead facing the table area is pretty well useless.

I originally had a light in the roof over the table area but sacrificed it for my Fantastic fan. In hindsight that light was pretty effective and had I not already had a large hatch in the roof forward of it and could have mounted the Fantastic Fan in a slightly different position I dont think I would have sacrificed it. I have though lights on either side of the table mounted under the overhead bins (both two fixture/bulb LED's) that work pretty well for lighting up the table when in use and work well for reading at night. Have also seen a number of Boler's with rear overhead bins or shelves that you mention and lights mounted on the underside that seem to do a pretty good job as well - if I had a rear bin/shelf I would would put a light under it as well.

When shopping for LED's look for a high Lumans rating as that will make or break it.
LED Bulb brightness in Lumens comparison:

A 60 watt incandescent bulb is rated at approximately 800 lumens
A 40 watt bulb is rated at approximately 400 lumens
A 25 watt bulb is rated at approximately 180 lumens
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Carol, you make some valid suggestions.

One question I ponder is how to light the front bunk/bench area. This spot could potentially be used as a couch area where one might want to read or whatever. I suppose you could add a desk style light, but this is a little awkward. Thoughts?

Derek
Old 05-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
Carol, you make some valid suggestions.

One question I ponder is how to light the front bunk/bench area. This spot could potentially be used as a couch area where one might want to read or whatever. I suppose you could add a desk style light, but this is a little awkward. Thoughts?

Derek

Well thats a bit of a problem area for me as well and I did try to address it but it isnt great.

If I was doing a major overhaul I would consider adding a shelf or bin over the front bunks with a few LED lights on the underside.

I have a side bathroom trailer & no front shelf or overhead and did install a light on the front wall of the bathroom at the level of the upper bunk and one at the level of the lower bunk for someone wanting to read while its set up in bunk positions. I also installed a couple of small dot led lights on the little wooden wall on the entry door side of the trailer that is part of my screen door frame so I could sit on the couch and read. Unfortunately at night its really not enough light and I often dig out the small LED headlamp to use if sitting in that area to read.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I circled the entire ceiling perimeter with LED rope lighting and I like it better than anything I have seen anywhere else for me.

I just can not see to do much without light and the small area of light provided by any RV fixture was not cutting it for me at all.
I tried Spots and all other form of lighting but the rope light provides an open diffused and omnidirectional lighting and every dark surface lights up to me now.

I also have mine remote controlled,of course but that just makes it easier to switch on I think.

Mine are 120vac for when I am plugged in but they are also widely available in 12vdc but are a little pricier.

So I combine those with ordinary RV fixtures where needed and it can get pretty bright in my Egg!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #6

Registry
Ed how did you secure the rope lights inside the trailer?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #7

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Do you have any pictures Ed. Sounds really nice but like Carol, can't quite picture how you secured them.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

Ontario
Registry
The LED cords are an interesting idea. I too would like details.

Here is one option I'm pondering for the front couch area. $20 from Ikea. I'm not 100% sure where to clamp it, but maybr the mounting point of the couch would be good enough.
Attached Thumbnails
jansjo-clamp-spotlight__0098924_PE240309_S4.JPG  
Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #9

Registry
Thats a cute light Derik - you could put it in the middle of the curtain rod over the couch as well but the question is where will you plug it in? I have found the more I use my trailer and the longer trips I take the fewer loose/movable items the better.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My daughter bought a cute light from Ikea. Problem is, when the bulb burned out, Ikea was the only place to get a replacement. Drive for half an hour in each direction and spend an hour in Ikea, trying to find the exit.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #11

Oh that little detail?

I used Drapery hooks in between the carpet and cabinets in most spots and just straight into the carpet in others.
In a few other spots I used wire ties attached to a small block inside the cabinet with the tie itself then sticking out between the cabinet and wall and tied around the rope light.

I will try to get a pic or two but may not be able to Today.

Everyone who has seen it is amazed by the amount of even indirect light it provides but it is not really "Campy" looking either. I need the light and I like a modern look so it is perfect for me though.

Another Casita I know has the rope light inside all the cabinets overhead and the ambient light through the fiberglass provides some usable light that way too. Not enough light for me,more of an accent light really but he likes it and of course it is very bright inside the cabinets!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #12

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Oh that little detail?
Another Casita I know has the rope light inside all the cabinets overhead and the ambient light through the fiberglass provides some usable light that way too. Not enough light for me,more of an accent light really but he likes it and of course it is very bright inside the cabinets!
Ooo, I do like this idea. It would be particularly effective in the overhead compartments.

Derek
Old 05-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I added a double LED fixture in the ceiling of my Escape 17 about even with the sink, and found it is my most used light. A photo towards the end of this link.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd put lights every where including the dark deep cabinets! I really like Rob's LED light around the Fantastic Fan trim ring and Peterh's lights here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post100288 or would use something similar because they rotate.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #15

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
If you're a *real* glamper, you need to consider something like RibbonFlex Pro™ RGB (Color) LED Tape Lighting System - Lee Valley Tools -- the RGB leds and associated colour controller let you tune the colour to whatever suits your mood...
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not sure a red lit interior would be appropriate for a single gal in a campground
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
Well, even if you don't want so set up a red-led-light district, you can always accessorize: This Color-Changing LED Chameleon Scarf Perfectly Matches Any Outfit
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
If you're a *real* glamper, you need to consider something like RibbonFlex Pro™ RGB (Color) LED Tape Lighting System - Lee Valley Tools -- the RGB leds and associated colour controller let you tune the colour to whatever suits your mood...
OK I didn't want to let all of my secrets out but.....
I also have a few lengths of this in a special place in the Casita too.

So far no unsuspecting single gals have fallen for it,but only because I haven't found any just yet!

They can set some mood though.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #19

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not sure a red lit interior would be appropriate for a single gal in a campground

...well it is if your looking to make a little coinage

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #20

Ontario
Registry
Does anyone know how you "shop" for these light cords. If you go on ebay, its hard to compare one string to the next. Ideally you want to get the most brightness per foot without paying a $fortune$ for the stuff. How do you compare one listing to the next?

Tags
lights