Lil Snoozy - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoracing View Post
Yea, although I'm not a Snoozy owner yet but I think I can answer some questions. The battery location standard is under the bed on the left side. I have seen one there that was in for some changes and it had 2 batteries on the tongue in boxes with no generator. What we are doing is putting 2 batteries on the same side with access by lifting the bed. The generator soon will have an enclosure soon built by them to store it in. The power cord goes to the generator or shore hookup if you have hookups.
Per the batteries:
Is that area under the bed sealed and vented to the outside somehow so as to prevent battery gases from entering the living space?

And I guess my generator question wasn't clear- I wondered if it's meant to be operated in the position shown in the picture...that is, just started up right there on the tongue.

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Good question, Francesca. An AGM battery might be a good way to go with a Snoozy.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #23

Name: Ray
Trailer: Looking at Lil Snoozy
Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Per the batteries:
Is that area under the bed sealed and vented to the outside somehow so as to prevent battery gases from entering the living space?

And I guess my generator question wasn't clear- I wondered if it's meant to be operated in the position shown in the picture...that is, just started up right there on the tongue.

Thanks!

Francesca
Yea, they use sealed batteries with no vents. I wonder also about charging. The generator is meant to be run in that position although I guess some people take them off and move them away for less noise, maybe a sound insulated shield for more noise suppression. Also, forgot to mension this that Lil Snoozy is the only currant fiberglass camper that has a RVI Certification. Many hoops to jump thru, but some good stuff also
gizmoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
What is RVI certification??
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoracing View Post
Yea, they use sealed batteries with no vents. I wonder also about charging. The generator is meant to be run in that position although I guess some people take them off and move them away for less noise, maybe a sound insulated shield for more noise suppression. Also, forgot to mension this that Lil Snoozy is the only currant fiberglass camper that has a RVI Certification. Many hoops to jump thru, but some good stuff also
"Sealed batteries with no vents?"

I'm not sure what that means- are you referring to AGM batteries as mentioned by Mike above? That's an unusual requirement for a trailer maker to impose on a buyer! Battery safety is a pretty well understood thing in the business, and in my opinion many manufacturers would think it unwise to trust that folks perhaps new to such things would know the difference in terms of safety, and always choose the appropriately sealed battery.

As for operating the generator in its position on the tongue:

My concern would be its proximity to the power cord entry point directly above it, which appears to me to enter the trailer under the bed and into the same (unsealed?) area that the batteries occupy. The type of hatchcover shown is certainly not airtight and I'd be most concerned about carbon monoxide from a running tongue-mounted gasoline generator entering the trailer. I think we're all familiar with the tragedy last year in which five people died from carbon monoxide poisoning when they placed their generator too close to a luggage compartment whose door was slightly ajar. (Link: Coroner: Carbon monoxide killed five at Clarksville Speedway - Kentucky New Era: News

The second picture below shows both the ajar hatch and the position of the generator in that tragedy. I was immediately reminded of it when I saw the connected generator picture at the Snoozy site. (first pic below)

My recommendation to folks that are having one of these trailers built would be to have that electric hatch moved elsewhere, or at the very least changed to a sealed outlet that one just plugs the power cord into.

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_4002.jpg  
Attached Images

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #26

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
"Sealed batteries with no vents?"

I'm not sure what that means- are you referring to AGM batteries as mentioned by Mike above? That's an unusual requirement for a trailer maker to impose on a buyer! Battery safety is a pretty well understood thing in the business, and in my opinion many manufacturers would think it unwise to trust that folks perhaps new to such things would know the difference in terms of safety, and always choose the appropriately sealed battery.

As for operating the generator in its position on the tongue:

My concern would be its proximity to the power cord entry point directly above it, which appears to me to enter the trailer under the bed and into the same (unsealed?) area that the batteries occupy. The type of hatchcover shown is certainly not airtight and I'd be most concerned about carbon monoxide from a running tongue-mounted gasoline generator entering the trailer. I think we're all familiar with the tragedy last year in which five people died from carbon monoxide poisoning when they placed their generator too close to a luggage compartment whose door was slightly ajar. (Link: Coroner: Carbon monoxide killed five at Clarksville Speedway - Kentucky New Era: News

The second picture below shows both the ajar hatch and the position of the generator in that tragedy. I was immediately reminded of it when I saw the connected generator picture at the Snoozy site. (first pic below)

My recommendation to folks that are having one of these trailers built would be to have that electric hatch moved elsewhere, or at the very least changed to a sealed outlet that one just plugs the power cord into.

Francesca
The 30 amp cable goes into a box that is attached to the front so it dosen't get all tangled up with other stuff under the bed. My thought are that the box is sealed to prevent water from entering inside and fumes from the gen set from entering but I don't know that. We had a Bluebird Wanderlodge and it had a lg 4 cyl diesel gen in the nose and had the exhaust directly below the side window and nothing was ever said about the fumes. RVI is Recreational Vehicle Institute is a national certification for RV's. Some have it some don't
Old 11-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #27

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
ray---when you do get your lil snoozy, we'd love to come see it!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #28

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
ray---when you do get your lil snoozy, we'd love to come see it!
I'll let you know, we are really anxious.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #29

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
No problem at all. In fact there is enough room for twin tanks. I have the fiberglass tank, which I really like since I can see the fuel level and an approximate 10 lb. weight savings on the tongue.

I have a photo, but not technologically savvy enough to post it.

Here is a photo of Bill's propane tank that I took at the mid Atlantic rally in Williamsport, Pa
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3620.jpg