Loctite blue blues - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #29

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
The interesting thing about Locktite that makes it unique is that it is a glue that cures in an absence of air instead if curing when it contacts air. That's why when you buy a bottle of the stuff, the bottle is only about 1/3 full. A full bottle would solidify. Locktite's patents ran out so there are other brands that do the same thing. Maybe unique isn't exactly the correct word, but pretty close.

FYI there are 3 colors readily available at retailers.
RED- most permanent
BLUE- easier to release
PURPLE releases easiest.
Heat makes release easier in all cases.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:23 AM   #30

Name: Ward
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
You are lucky, Loctite killed one of my eyes. Never get in you eye - not even a little. I am monocular because of Loctite. A few knobs -- you got off easy!

Old 05-24-2016, 01:41 AM   #31

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardDeaux View Post
You are lucky, Loctite killed one of my eyes. Never get in you eye - not even a little. I am monocular because of Loctite. A few knobs -- you got off easy!
That's a terrible experience. I've used Locktite many times and never knew this. Thanks for the caution.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #32

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I use the version that looks like a lipstick, you rub it on the grooves. I hate the liquid that seams to drip to much.

So sorry to hear about being blinded by getting the stuff In your eye. Thanks for sharing that with me.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #33
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardDeaux View Post
. A few knobs -- you got off easy!
Yes, I agree. Very easy. Thanks for the warning. You really don't think about such a life changing accident when using products like this.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:01 AM   #34

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Glad to learn of the plastic and eye damaging ability of Loctite. I use it almost every day and never knew that.
Russ
Old 05-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #35
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014 V6 Jeep Cherokee
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Here's a blurb about DEET myths.

About Locktite. Many Locktite products contain either asitone or MEK, MEK is also used to weld plastics together. Thus it's a good idea to use the super glues and thread locker away from plastics including the most used plastic ABS.
Well away and well ventilated! I have seen instances where locktite was used in a contained space ( under the dome of an electric meter). In less than a week every polycarbonate component under the dome was stress cracking to the point of failure.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #36

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Use finger nail polish instead of locktite, it will hold and when you want to take it out, you can.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #37

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Back in the day when I worked on a Card Punch Machine (Do you remember IBM Card Data Cards) that machine punched 100 cards a minute and each card stoped 80 times to punch holes. Parts would fly off that thing so I used Nail Polish on every nut, screw, bolt. It really worked. Still use it today on eyeglass screws.

Locktite. Use the lipstick type paste. It don't run, just dab a little on threads.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #38

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
I've got some WWII aircraft radios and, IIRC, the visible screw-nut surfaces have a tiny dab of what looks like fingernail polish.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #39
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Follow up

It's been over a year since my loctite experience. First, for those seeking replacement knobs, be aware they come in two shaft sizes 1/2" and 1". I was sent the 1" and figured they would stick out too far and get bumped but that hasn't happened. In fact they are easier to use. The reason for using loctite in the first places was because the screws holding the window knobs would not stay in. Wrapping a single layer of masking tape on the first 1/4" of the threads solved the problem. So far the screws have stayed in place yet are easy to remove. Raz
Old 07-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #40

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
I've got some WWII aircraft radios and, IIRC, the visible screw-nut surfaces have a tiny dab of what looks like fingernail polish.
Glyptol?
Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #41

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
This is good to know. Especially the part about eyes! And I didn't know there was a brush-application style. I agree, the regular stuff is too runny.

I'll add another item to the "things that should be known list", which is that most bug spray, DEET or not, will strip the finish off wood items. I go to a few bluegrass/folk jams every summer, and have seen the finish stripped off some very expensive instruments by bug spray...

You have to just suffer through the mosquitoes.

I wonder what that tiny dab of fingernail polish is? Sort of like a stake nut I guess.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:26 AM   #42

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Glyptol?
Well, I looked up glyptol since I never heard of it. I think that's unlikely as it is intended as an insulator and is likely too expensive. I also don't know if it existed back then.

I imagine that on assembly just after calibration they dabbed a little on to 1) fix it in place and protect it from vibration, and 2) to make it visible if anything changed. Something cheap, visible, and that will adhere to metal like fingernail polish would do.