Longevity of fiberglass - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
Gelcoat cracks occur because fiberglass and gelcoat have different characteristics when it comes to hardness and flexibility. Fiberglass resin is always softer and more flexible than gelcoat.

In many ways you can think of gelcoat like you can the glass fibers in fiberglass. Thick glass, like you'd see in a window pane, can flex some, but not a lot. An example of this is when you're sitting in your home at night during a wind storm and see reflections from things inside your home bend and change as the wind forces your window to flex a bit. Make the layer of glass very thin, like a strand of fiberglass thin, and the glass can bend a lot more. A layer of fiberglass cloth is as flexible as the denim in a pair of blue jeans because the stransd of glass are so thin.

The ideal fiberglass-gelcoat combination is to make the fiberglass thick enough that it is less prone to flexing and the gelcoat thin enough (one or two layers of paper thick) that can bend with the small amount of flex the thick fiberglass still has.

Cracks arise when the underlying fiberglass is thin, making it more prone to flexing, and/or the gelcoat is thick, two or more layers of paper thick, and the gelcoat can't bend as much as the underlying fiberglass does.

In trailer construction, the gelcoat gets sprayed into the mold first, and its thickness can vary quite a but. You want the gelcoat layer to be complete and uninterrupted, and it's easy to spend just a moment longer spraying it into an area than you need to. Then the fiberglass gets blown in on top of the gelcoat, and it's equally easy to get complete fiberglass coverage on top of the gelcoat, but still have some areas be just barely thick enough to cover while other areas are good, thick, and solid. When thick gelcoat meets thin fiberglass and you apply force, the thin fiberglass will flex while the thick gelcoat will resist that flex. The result is a broken-window effect with shards of gelcoat still stuck to their underlying fiberglass.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #16

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
For hardness and non-flexibility I personally prefer the all iron trailer excavated in New Jersey not too long after the Flavius was discovered.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The NJ rig looks all the world like a rolling Hoosgow. Nice looking tires though.

But you had better call out about a dozen Clydesdales if you want to more it very far.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #18

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
You could be right about the Hoosgow utility. Could get real hot inside...I thought those doors were an early form of air conditioning. Somebody moved it out here to the Land of Enchantment during the iron age. I am certain that took mammoth power. Tires are clearly pre-firestone-age.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsea View Post
When looking for a used camper is there a limit to age or years to avoid?
I have six Trillium trailers that range in year from 1972 to 1978. The fibreglass is the least concern. The windows and their associated seals need work. I have been shopping for fibreglass trailers approaching three years now. I have only found three that were beyond repair. I bought what I thought was a trailer that was beyond repair. I am now repairing it. Fibreglass is a very forgiving media.
I was sure I was done buying Trilliums for Now

Three examples of Trilliums I would consider salvage only.
Someone Please Stop Me!
Two in this one.

On (Canada) - 1973 Trillium 1300 Wreck - $250
The frame had been removed from this one.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #20

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Best post I have read, Bob. Go Romans!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:54 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
For those that might be faced with the unfortunate situation that Gina had to deal with, a professionally applied coating of Rhino bed liner on ones roof might be considered. After 10 years of total neglect and abuse the Rhino liner in my truck shows almost no signs of ageing or damage. It's tough stuff and it can be tinted to almost any color you want.

Disclaimer: This suggestion does not extend to any other products, esp anything that comes out of a spray can.....