Looking for bruddah goopo-calking expert - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Name: Eddie
Trailer: Casita Indy.
I addition to butyl tape I use dicor sealant for roof vents, frig. vents and on top edges of older windows. On flat surfaces I use the self leving calking. Most RV dealers carry it. Check out the movie in the attached link.
Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant - Product - Camping World

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #16
Trailer: 1975 Boler
I think very highly of Sikaflex 291. I used to keep a tube of it in my Boler and garage to use on almost anything. I used it for re-bedding windows, vents, fixtures and sealing around things I didn't really want to take off and re-bed when I reno'd. A dab under every everything and I haven't had a leak in a year (except through the worn seals of my jalousies that is...).

I don't recall having used it on any holes though...I would if I HAD to though...Like, for example, if my Boler was in space and the only thing that kept me from getting sucked out into the vacuum of space through an 1/8" hole was to fill that hole with caulking rather than wait to get home, spend 5 minutes with some epoxy and a popsicle stick.

Anyways...Sikaflex 291 adheres very well and has lasted 3-4 years (and running) in places where I meant it as a quick-fix. Tip: It cleans up before cured very well with wet-wipes! It is much easier to clean up once cured than sil-ick-cone.

For holes that you want to fill, but don't want to hassle with epoxy I really like Francesca's idea (...the first one, that is! ;D ). I will probably use that in the future if I accumulate excessive holes in my Boler for whatever reason. One could even use sikaflex to caulk the little plug in place if you feel absolutely inclined to use a caulking gun.

Evan Friesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Humm, it's not what you asked... but, it's my opinion, I'd put rivets and snap caps on.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #18
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
"i do not want to mix up epoxy or some other messy idea , there has got to be a single "BEST" product i can put in a calking gun and do the job quickly efficiently and looks dicent. thank you for your help!"
If such a product existed it would have been mentioned, unfortunately, it doesn't exist.....

That said, the best feature of almost all calkings that come in a tube is that, once applied, they will usually provide a marker as to where the next leaks will occur. As far as sealing windows, roof vents and door frames, RV puty tape is the way to go, unless you like to chase leaks that is

Need proof. Find an area where the builder applied silicone sealer, run a blade under it and see how easily it peels off.....
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #19
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Re mixing up mess epoxy:

Go to the dollar store and buy a box is the little Dixie drinking cups and a bag of Popsicle sticks. Maybe splurge on a bag of latex disposable gloves. Now, you can mix up stuff in a jiffy then just toss the tools.
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #20
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
As is many times the case on this forum, this thread has great information.

....and I had never heard the phrase Bruddo Goopa-Calk! I've added it to my list of 'words-to-use' in my next meeting at work (LOL) I'm in the design/construction/project management field, so it will come in handy

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote