Looking for excellent FG polish/cleaner for Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

Name: barbgregoire
Trailer: barbgregoire
barbgregoire
Looking for excellent FG polish/cleaner for Casita

We have an older Casita that needs the outside cleaned and polished. Can anyone recommend a GREAT product??
Bgregoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgregoire View Post

We have an older Casita that needs the outside cleaned and polished. Can anyone recommend a GREAT product??
Bar Keepers Friend is generally good for cleaning and it's recommended for fiberglass. It might also be appropriate to use tar and pitch remover.

I don't have a recommendation for a good polish so I'll be interested to see what replies you get.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
A lot depends on how oxidized it is. Might be able to get away with a combination cleaner and wax, like https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M503.../dp/B0000AY50X

If that does not take off the oxidation you could try a harsher separate cleaner like https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M491...4G8BBHD5C&th=1

followed by either a polish or wax, your choice. I like Starbrite, https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Pr...ith+ptef&psc=1

easy on easy off, but not as high a shine as a good Cordoba wax.

Cleaners work better if you use a buffer.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Quote:

I read this on the Scamp forum. Greg is the administrator and seems to have quite a bit of experience and knowledge with FG. Hope it helps.

Mark

"I do a two-step process on older shells for the first two years. First, I use 3M Marine Restorer and Wax (16.9 fl-Ounce) (link is external) and a Ryobi Power Buffer (link is external) This gets the chalking off the shell and gives it a pretty good initial shine. Next, I hand wax and buff the shell with Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax - 32 oz. (link is external) which gives a great finish and a longer shine.

The glass has always come back for me with this process. Usually, on the second year polish, the glass comes out looking close to new.

There are a number of cleaning topics listed in the Maintenance Table of Contents (link is external) as well to check out."

Greg A. SOI admin.

Our Trailers:
1997 Scamp 5th Wheel
2015 19 Escape

Buying or Selling:

Fiberglass-RV-4Sale
Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #5

Name: Marsha
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
We used Poli Glow which was recommended highly on the "Casita Owners" Facebook page it worked great. If you are not a member I would suggest you check it out it is a great resource. Under FILES there is an entire file on Cleaners, Polishes and Waxes. With links to the products.
tcrwbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Does a search here and other fiberglass forums, such as the Casita forum. Lots and lots of opinions.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #7

Name: Lee
California
I have/had a 2001 Casita that was so chalky and oxidized you got powder on you if you brushed against it, plus it had mold and streaks. Yuk.
I scrubbed it with Barkeepers Friend using a blue scrubby pad...wow, it came out sparkling but dull...
PolyGlo was the miracle maker, I applied three coats using a piece of microfiber towel that I dampened beforehand. The coats dry very quickly so by the time I finished one round I could just continue around again. I did four coats altogether, so over a few days my Casita looked like new. Two years have passed and it still sparkles. I will probably give it a good wash, I use regular car wash soap, and do one more coat before the summer.
I also refreshed the black paint on the bumper and hitch..it looks like new!
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:

We have kept our 2007 Casita looking new with a product called The Solution. After washing the vehicle all you do is spray it on and dry it off. Shines like a new dime. We used it on a 1987 hearse and it is amazing now. It is a great product we've used for several years and it goes a long way. So easy to use and no rubbing or buffing. Really helps with the bugs on the next wash. It goes a long way. We got a gallon and have done our motorhome 3 times, Casita 3 times and several cars. Still have a lot left. It 's expensive but it's all I'll use. We've used Megeires but like The Solution better.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita