Looking for Winter Cover and other Winterizing Tips - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Looking for Winter Cover and other Winterizing Tips

Hi everyone,

I'd like to purchase a cover for our 16' Scamp to keep it cozy over the winter. Does anyone have recommendations before I snag something from eBay?

Also, aside from the steps listed on the Scamp video, what else should I do to winterize the camper? How do I keep it dry and mold free?
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
After reading stories of the gelcoat being sanded away by the movement of covers, tarps, etc I've settle on a good coat of wax to protect my trailer. The wax helps the snow brush off easily as well. I've considered a pole structure or perhaps one of those metal roof on pipe structures but I'm reluctant to make additional contributions to the tax collector. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #3

New Hampshire
Well I would think if the cover is tight and strapped down that wouldn't be a big issue...especially if I wash/wax it before covering. I'm worried about all the snow we get and I know I'm not going to be checking up on it very often.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
Well I would think if the cover is tight and strapped down that wouldn't be a big issue...especially if I wash/wax it before covering. I'm worried about all the snow we get and I know I'm not going to be checking up on it very often.
All it takes is a few months for the trailer to be left undercover with a little bit of tarp rustling due to wind to be abrasive enough to take the gelcoat off after a couple of years of that - sometimes less. Most common to see on the top corners of the trailer. Have seen at last 5 trailers with that as the end result. That is unless you are willing to pay the big bucks for the covers that the folks with expensive cars use which are apparently a lot softer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #5

New Hampshire
So do people just let the snow pile up on them?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Registry
Yes and no. Best to clear it off if it starts to pile up to high. Some people in high snow load areas put a brace inside the trailer on the ceiling - run a 2 x 4 along the ceiling with 2 x 4's holding it up to give it extra support. If you have sealed all your hatches and windows correctly you shouldnt have a problem.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #7

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Honda CRV
Washington
I use a Sunbrella cover from CalMark that is custom made for Scamps. Has waterproofing on it, breathable, a zip door opening, straps to keep it in place. They are not cheap tho -- For my 13' Scamp it was $600 with shipping to Seattle. Every few years I clean it (NW green slime) and recoat with waterproofing spray. Have had it for 7-8 years. It's very nice and comes with a warranty. Inside the rig, I use the Dri Air crystals to keep the moisture out. Has worked well for 11 years. CalMark Custom RV Covers - Sunbrella Fabric Made in the USA

S.
Shannon Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #8

Registry
Sounds like Shannon has the right kind of cover. I also use the Dri-z-Air system but you need to replace the crystals through out the winter as needed. You can get them from Walmart as well. If your concerned about mould take the cushions & other soft items out of the trailer or put the cushions on their ends/sides in the trailer.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #9

New Hampshire
Thanks Shannon, I'll consider that model.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:14 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
So do people just let the snow pile up on them?
No. A foot of fluff is no problem but when we get the freezing rain on top then you need to worry. If you can't be there to brush it off I suggest you rent a barn, garage, etc. Too great a load will cave the roof. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I apply 2 coats of Nu Finish polish , brace the roof , bought a soft bristle push broom to take snow off of roof, We are predicted to get 6 to 7 ft of snow this winter, so same problem as you . Easiest solution is to take your trailer to southern Florida for the winter
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #12

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yes and no. Best to clear it off if it starts to pile up to high. Some people in high snow load areas put a brace inside the trailer on the ceiling - run a 2 x 4 along the ceiling with 2 x 4's holding it up to give it extra support. If you have sealed all your hatches and windows correctly you shouldnt have a problem.
Good idea!
I will do that to mine..

What do you guys do with the battery?
Mine is connected to a solar panel(small uhaul original panel) wich do a good job of keeping it full...
Should i leave it in the trailer or take it inside the house?
Is the cold a problem for marine batteries? Will the liquid freeze in them?
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #13

New Hampshire
I was planning on putting mine on a shelf in the garage...although I never do that with the lawn tractor and it starts every year.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #14

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 2002 Scamp 13' Std, Honda CRV
Washington
Chris, I also echo Carol regarding your cushions/bedding: I set all my cushions up on their edge, take blankets into the house, prop open all the cabinet doors, hatches, fridge, closet. I also leave the small kitchen crank out window slightly open for air flow. Keeping air circulation really helps. In my small 13' camper I use 2 Dri-z -Air baskets. And as Carol said, as the crystals pull the moisture out of the air and collect it in the bowl, you have to empty it out and refill the crystals. I check once a month...will depend on the moisture in your area.

Also regarding a cover --- for the first few years I did not have a cover and had it parked at a storage facility (had nowhere to park at home). It go blasted by sun and weather and rain, etc. It was hard on it, especially the rubber seals/gaskets around the windows. If you can't get a cover, at least cover your tires and treat the window gaskets often with UV inhibitors -- 303 or something like it. Keep it waxed to protect the gel coat for oxidation....

Alrighty.... and thus, my deep words of wisdom end....(again) Selah...
Shannon Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #15

Registry
Chris I added a widow vent/cover to one side of rear side slider windows so I can leave it open just a bit for ventilation.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #16

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I suggest you travel south and park under palm trees
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #17

Registry
I have been known to take that approach as well ;-)
Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Would a caravan canopy work in that part of the country?
Would cover but not touch. Some even have walls on them.

Caravan Canopy Carport Garage - Walmart.com

Enclosure kit:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Caravan-Ca...ingMethod=p13n
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #19

New Hampshire
That is an option...but I'm not going to go that route. Those can be a total eye sore on an otherwise attractive looking yard.