Loose door glass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #1

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Loose door glass

Prepping for the Spring trip to the Smokies, my wife noticed that there was a small gap between the door window frame and the top edge of the glass on the Little Joe. With the door open, holding the glass with the flat of my hands the glass can be moved around. This is a standard RV door.

The glass is held in place by the inner and outer frame which are screwed together. It appears the glass was sealed to the outside frame by some sort of adhesive. The glass rests on 2 plastic tabs which are part of the outer frame. Evidently the original adhesive dried out, letting the glass float. In travel, bumps and shocks have broken the bottom support tabs. I can replace these with aluminum tabs JBed to the frame. Or, I may cut a piece of wood to fit between the glass and the frame for a more solid fit.

Question: Will 100% clear silicone adhesive be sufficient to hold and seal the glass?

I would think silicone would be non-hardening, allowing the window to float somewhat with expansion, while maintaining a water tight seal.

Thanks for your help.

Clif
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd use black windshield caulk. It comes in a tube like any other caulk. Handles cold and heat very well and won't breakdown like silicone!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Prepping for the Spring trip to the Smokies, my wife noticed that there was a small gap between the door window frame and the top edge of the glass on the Little Joe. With the door open, holding the glass with the flat of my hands the glass can be moved around. This is a standard RV door.

The glass is held in place by the inner and outer frame which are screwed together. It appears the glass was sealed to the outside frame by some sort of adhesive. The glass rests on 2 plastic tabs which are part of the outer frame. Evidently the original adhesive dried out, letting the glass float. In travel, bumps and shocks have broken the bottom support tabs. I can replace these with aluminum tabs JBed to the frame. Or, I may cut a piece of wood to fit between the glass and the frame for a more solid fit.

Question: Will 100% clear silicone adhesive be sufficient to hold and seal the glass?

I would think silicone would be non-hardening, allowing the window to float somewhat with expansion, while maintaining a water tight seal.

Thanks for your help.

Clif

Silicone will do an excellent job as it does not degade and remains flexible
Any excess can easily be removed from the glass.
There is an aversion to silicone on this site because it's been used in inappropriate areas.
Many doors have been destroyed because of leaking windows such as yours.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If silicone is so great, why don't they use it to build aquariums? Oh, wait....they do.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I used putty tape, like for vents and windows, to reseal my door window.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Thanks Donna. I took your suggestion and used the windshield caulk. A bit messy, but cleaned up well. Time will tell. Thanks for the tip.

Clif
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
I used putty tape, like for vents and windows, to reseal my door window.
I bought a new door-window kit for my Compact Jr. and the instructions said to use butyl tape to seal it.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #8

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Silicone will do great.
I dont know if its available in the US but here we have a brand called mulco flextra...available in multiple colors but the translucent is the best as it tend to blend well to the adjecent color.
tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote