LOOSE RIVETS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #1

Name: Bert
Trailer: BOLER
Ontario
LOOSE RIVETS

Please tell me how to replace loose rivets. ('74 Boler)
EGBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:16 PM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Rivet removal

1. Use a large drill bit to drill off the the head of the rivet
2. If necessary use a small nail or punch to push the rivet mandrel through, or grip the rivet from the other side and pull.

To replace get a aluminum rivet the length of the old one and use a rivet toll to install the new one.

Check at Home depot how to use the rivet tool.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
When you drill the head off the rivet, just drill into it far enough to where the top "donut" of the rivet spins freely on the end of the drill bit. Do not allow the drill bit to continue to drill all the way through the trailer or you will wind up enlarging the rivet hole and your new rivet won't hold too well, if at all. Also, don't forget to apply a small drop of sealant to the hole, (right in the hole,) before inserting and compressing the new rivet, or else you won't get a water-tight seal on your trailer.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGBERT View Post
Please tell me how to replace loose rivets. ('74 Boler)
And once you have the old one removed...
https://www.facebook.com/29769103027...3727918754768/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:38 AM   #5

Name: Marian
Trailer: 1972 13 FT Boler
Alberta
What kind of sealant would you use?
Marian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #6

Name: Jason
Trailer: Boler 13' 1973
British Columbia
Registry
Where would one find the acorn nut, rivet and plastic cap combo? Tia
fidgetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgetboy View Post
Where would one find the acorn nut, rivet and plastic cap combo? Tia
https://www.scamptrailers.com/parts-store-cat-view.html
https://store.casitatraveltrailers.c...ap-caps-rivets
Screw Caps & Screw Covers | Pro-Dec
Ace Hardware
Etc etc
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #8

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
loose Rivets

Wondering if leaving the old rivet piece behind, under the Ensolite liner. Don`t want to start peeling off the covering just to discard remains of old rivet. Thoughts?
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #9

Registry
The old rivet should be accessible from the inside of the camper. Best to get rid of it if you can. You won't be pulling it out from the outside. Scamp as also used a stainless steel bolt with an allen head. They did that once for me on the partisan between the bed and side dinette on the ceiling. Call Scamp and ask about it. I works better for a more solid fit.
Also don't forget to ad the snap cap washer when you install either one so you can put the cap on it.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Since the "head" you drill off is on the outside you are correct that the body of the rivet will be inside, however most or many come through. Such as those to the acorn nuts that hold cabinets to the wall or to attach things such as curtain rod brackets. Those you can probably just push the body through with a small punch. They go clear through so the rivet body and/or rivet body and acorn nut just drop.

There are a few places that will be buried behind ensolite, me I just sort of push them in then slip a piece of bent paper clip through the hole to nudge them to the side (laying flat so they don't stick up any more than they did before) or can sometimes just sort of push or work them sideways to lay flat under the ensolite from the inside. Only ones I can think of where this was an issue was the rain deflector over the door. Most of the rest came all the way through and held something in place.

Around windows if you pull those and re-bed in new putty the rivets are easy to flip out by slipping a putty knife behind the ensolite from the window opening after the window is removed. Those rivets are very close to the edge of the window hole so not hard to get them out.

You may find common acorn nut sizes won't match up with original rivet size. I think the original acorn nuts (in scamp anyway) were for a #10 size or maybe #12 bolt it was like the highest # size of nut. No one typically carries that anymore. Even good old fashion hardware stores jump from a size smaller in the # sizes to the fraction of an inch sizes. My solution was to buy a size too small in threads which was the same size head as original then drill a small amount of the threads out. This allowed the original size rivet to go inside the nut, and still left some threads for the rivet to grip and pull tight. I posted what the actual size nut and drill was someplace if you find you need my sizes I can probably find it. Not 100% sure Boler will exactly match the Scamp sizes but would not be surprised.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #11

Name: Frank
California
Acorn Nut Size

My scamp and my casita both use 1/4-20 acorn nuts. You can reuse them by gripping the old rivet shaft and unscrewing the nut. Home depot has both plain and crome acorn nuts. I order snap caps, they come with the plastic cup washer and I get rivets and caps from Scamp. Get an assortment of both.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butsky View Post
Wondering if leaving the old rivet piece behind, under the Ensolite liner. Don`t want to start peeling off the covering just to discard remains of old rivet. Thoughts?
Hey Butsky
I see no problem if the Ensolite is in good shape and stuck well to begin with.
I replaced Awning rail last year in my 79 Boler and had to leave about 21 of the pin ends under there with no problems showing up
But as said my Ensolite is in great shape with no sags or loose spots.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #13

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Loose rivets

Yes, my Ensolite is all gripping with no voids anywhere. The old rivet pieces can stay inside, you think with no revealing bumps?
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:41 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Yea, there's a little bump there but who's gonna notice.
Unless you know where to look or run your hand over the area you almost can not see them.
There was like 5 over the entry way and another 5 over the back dinette area the rest is in cupboards.
I would rather have these little bumps under the Ensolite then try to rip down the stuff and not be sure if it will go back as good as it is now.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote