Loose screws in 2015 Scamp bath door - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJohnson View Post
We totally removed the door on our 13' Scamp, as it was always in the way of the stove/fridge. We put a small tension rod in the door frame with a cute US cities novelty fabric (soon to be replaced by vintage trailers fabric) hung by shower hooks, exterior to the shower rod & plastic drape. All can be moved aside & left open versus hung and closed for privacy. We are much happier with this arrangement.
I've considered doing this also. Free free to post photos!

Old 04-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Interesting - in my 2004 19Deluxe the bathroom door and the wall, made of the MDF has an extruded aluminum U-channel that reinforces both where the piano hinge is mounted. The piano hinge screws are all actually driven into the aluminum, it seems, and feel solid. Those channels are attached with a number of short screws at 90 degrees to those holding the piano hinge. I have no idea if this was the standard procedure, or something special.

BTW, any loose screws that show up on the floor after a trip down a rough road get put back with a small, but generous dollop of my trusty Lexel caulk/adhesive. Did not have any of those during the last trip, but we did not drive to Chaco Canyon this time! That road cost me once about 45 minutes work replacing loose screws and more, before proceeding. Gum, bailing wire and duct tape to the rescue!

Old 04-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Got a screw loose somewhere !

My 1993 Scamp had been in storage until I bought it about 6 yrs ago, so it was essentially new. All screws were in place but started loosening as soon as I started taking trips. On the large closet door the longer screws I installed just poked through the outside veneer so I drilled them out and installed thin brass bolts that matched the hinges and other screws. Now about all of my doors have bolts with lock washers holding the hinges on. The other problem is that the hinges are common household hinges and start to bend and break. Phlip-it cabinet locks or something similar hold some of the weight of the doors without resorting to the rather ugly screen door catches. The doors are too heavy and not the best material. Sometime try to drive behind a Scamp or small fiberglas trailer; you will not believe how much they bounce, especially on bumpy roads. Real RV latches hold some of the weight and keep down the vibration but I think the real answer is lighter but stronger thin plywood doors.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #18

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Ah, yes... we drove to Chaco Canyon last fall and we both remarked we were glad we didn't have the Scamp with us on that road! Imagine it would shake everything loose in the camper. Love my camper too much to put it through such abuse! But Chaco Canyon is worth enduring the road in a lone vehicle, just leave the camper behind.
19' Escape due 10/30/17
ljswanson53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
We visited Chaco several times, only once with the Scamp. We took the south access in, the north out, on the way from AZ to CO. One was worse than the other, the north by a lot. The locals would only tell us that the roads are "not the best" - I am still laughing.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:56 AM   #20

Name: Linda
Colorado
We were warned about the roads beforehand. I think we came in from the north. Worth the bouncing to see it though. Chaco Canyon and Mesa Verde really fire up my imagination and sense of wonder!
19' Escape due 10/30/17
ljswanson53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:27 PM   #21

Name: julie
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Idaho
The bath door fell off going thru Mojave preserve. Left it off & replaced with tension rod & shower curtain. Luckily door fit along front side couch as had 2 more weeks to travel. Fridge door also fell off that trip. Still finding screws in scampi!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #22

Name: Doug
California
Registry
I can report that I removed the bath door, put GO2 glue in all the screw holes from the hinge to door side and reinstalled the door. That was 6K miles ago at my brothers house in GA. Now back in CA the door is doing fine showing no sign of hinge coming loose. I think I'll replace the door sometime with a natural wood louvered door which will be lighter weight and allow air flow. But no hurry now.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 06-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by julmar View Post
The bath door fell off going thru Mojave preserve. Left it off & replaced with tension rod & shower curtain. Luckily door fit along front side couch as had 2 more weeks to travel. Fridge door also fell off that trip. Still finding screws in scampi!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Are you saying that you had been showering without a shower curtain up until you lost the door??
Old 06-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
12 years and 70,000 miles of use on our Scamp 13D,and the only screws which have come out were two on the sheet metal furnace cover. The doors, other than the entry door and the bathroom door are all solid oak with oak veneer plywood panels. The frames of the cabinets are solid oak.
The bulkhead and the bathroom door are laminated cabinet grade MDF with plastic on one side and oak veneer on the other, perfect and stable after more than a decade.
This thread has made me feel much more responsible than I have ever imagined until now....THANX
Old 06-21-2016, 11:31 PM   #25

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
Pics

I love my mod, and the shower curtain matches the window curtains. I made the shower curtain very wide, and it can be draped over the toilet to keep the shower water mostly in the shower pan.
Attached Thumbnails
030.jpg   031.jpg  

Old 06-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #26

Name: Howard and Kim
Trailer: Escape 17B:former Scamp 13
California
This looks really practical. No more stepping aside to let someone out of the bathroom. You'd have better airflow too. Love it! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #27

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I've had more problems out of the latches than I have hinges. I used toothpics or similar wood and CA glue to go back with the screws. I havent had any more issues with the screws where I've performed this fix.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #28

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I've had more problems out of the latches than I have hinges. I used toothpics or similar wood and CA glue to go back with the screws. I havent had any more issues with the screws where I've performed this fix.
That's not a bad way to make a repair! I have a cutter for making wooden plugs, I have drilled holes where the screws were located and plugged them with plugs that I cut. The advantage is that the screws do not go into end grain, so they hold better.

Tags
scamp