Loose screws in 2015 Scamp bath door - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #29

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I like that idea even better Dennis! I got a Craftsman tool kit free not too long ago with some "points" and it has "Brad bits" in it. They would be excellent for drilling the holes I think for the plugs. Just got to watch and make sure they dont go all the way through! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
That's not a bad way to make a repair! I have a cutter for making wooden plugs, I have drilled holes where the screws were located and plugged them with plugs that I cut. The advantage is that the screws do not go into end grain, so they hold better.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #30

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I like that idea even better Dennis! I got a Craftsman tool kit free not too long ago with some "points" and it has "Brad bits" in it. They would be excellent for drilling the holes I think for the plugs. Just got to watch and make sure they dont go all the way through! lol.
Good point about drilling through. The brad point bits that I use have a very fast lead and pull through very quickly. A depth stop is in order.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #31

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Hilarious! Now that you mention it, the kit ALSO came with set collars for the bits. Good stuff Dennis! I'll "test" if I ever use the wood method before going "live" on my Scamp doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
Good point about drilling through. The brad point bits that I use have a very fast lead and pull through very quickly. A depth stop is in order.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #32

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
When we were shopping I looked at the Deluxe. A salesman told me they were solid wood. While I assumed veneer plywood it never occurred to me they would use MDF, especially in a bathroom. I assumed Doug's was a Deluxe but rereading after my second cup of coffee I see he did say door. My turn

That said, I find the MDF use very disappointing. I'd replace the door with some AC plywood. Raz
Replacing the door with AC plywood would be a denegration since the bulkhead and the door on the deluxe are made of an engineered material with plastic on one side and Oak(or Birch) on the other. It is very stable and after 12years of regular use, mine looks and performs as well as the first day.
Why would you choose AC grade plywood and not something with more plies and good on both sides?
I do of course agree that a shower curtain properly used will help to protect the door and the floor outside the bathroom.
You recommended not getting the door wet... does that mean one should also refrain from feeding it after midnight?
I know some trailers seem to be plagued with Gremlins, especially those with a screw loose!...

Tags
scamp