Lube Stab Jacks - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Lube Stab Jacks

Hi Everyone,

Just seeking opinions and recommendations for lubing stab jacks on my Scamp 13. Tried Boeshield T 9 so far. Still very tight and difficult to release from bumper. May have tried silicone once before but I don't remember

I used to use spray on lithium grease on my pop up camper stabs but found that it drew dirt. However, open to all suggestions.

Thanking you in advance,

Wendy

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 09-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #2

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I use no lubricant on my stabilizer jacks. If they were sticky, I would remove them, take them apart as much as reasonably possible and clean them up. Get all of the dirt and rust removed and they should work pretty well.

--Dan Meyer

Old 09-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #3

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
A lot of time there is a corrosion build up within the structures. For areas you can't take apart to clean you can spray the surfaces with one of the products made for freeing up rusty bolts. Let it soak, then work the jack back and forth quite a few times to further spread out the rusty bolt removal solutions, let it sit a while longer and move it back and forth again while adding some more of the solution. After that flush it out with a solvent such as denatured alcohol or acetone to remove the debris particles. Try moving it again, if still stiff repeat the soaking and moving and flushing steps. After it is freed up then you can use a protective lubricant.

Rust removal products are for helping to remove rust

protective lubricants are for helping to prevent rust from forming
Old 09-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Wendy,
If you are going to lube them after you get them working freely, I would suggest a spray can of dry lube (any auto parts store). Dry lube does not attract dirt and debris.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #5

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Wendy,
If you are going to lube them after you get them working freely, I would suggest a spray can of dry lube (any auto parts store). Dry lube does not attract dirt and debris.

Boeshield T-9 does not attract dirt and debris so it is fine for the purpose. They made a good choice.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Boeshield T-9 does not attract dirt and debris so it is fine for the purpose. They made a good choice.

Boeshield, while a fine product, is not a lubricant, it is a corrosion inhibitor. The OP specifically mentioned lubrication.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Boeshield, while a fine product, is not a lubricant, it is a corrosion inhibitor. ...
In that case I am filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission for false advertising....
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled-1 copy.jpg  
Old 09-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #8

New York
Registry
Solvent...as in PB Blaster? This is only a 2012 trailer so to be honest they still have a decent coat of paint and very little rust at all. The curb side one has always been tight since I bought the trailer used in 2013. The little Jack foot comes down easy. It's the pulling the Jack horizontally out of its resting place on the bumper that's so challenging! Takes quite a bit of my oomph. 😄

Old 09-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Casita FD 17 - 2010 Audi Q5
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi Everyone,

Just seeking opinions and recommendations for lubing stab jacks on my Scamp 13. Tried Boeshield T 9 so far. Still very tight and difficult to release from bumper. May have tried silicone once before but I don't remember

Wendy
Wendy,

Ours on a 2012 are a little rusty and tend to stick a bit. I do a few things to make deploying them easier.

One, I kneel on an old piece of reinforced closed-cell foam carpet pad that I use for hitching and deploying the stabilizers. That makes it easier to get some leverage. Second, I wear a pair of lightweight leather gloves. Third, I sometimes remember that the stabilizers can be poked with the tool from the outside to get them to release and drop; this actually works well when I remember to do it that way. Otherwise I grip them with a glove while kneeling on the pad and they generally relent with only minor protest.

No lubricants were harmed or misconstrued in the writing of this post.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
In that case I am filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission for false advertising....

Gordon, I would only suggest that you spray Boshield on something important (with moving parts), expose it to the elements for a few months, and at that point if you can tell me that you still think it is a lubricant, I will retract my statement.
The FTC will not enforce any false claim about lubrication because almost any liquid has lubricating properties; for instance, in some applications, water is used as a "lubricant."
I do use Boshield frequently, but not as a lubricant. Based on my experience, there are other products with superior lubricating qualities and much greater longevity.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:07 AM   #11

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
The stabilizer jacks need to be some what hard to release when stowed. Otherwise they could fall down and drag over a bump rendering them useless. Even new ones are stiff and difficult to deploy.
I do lube mine when they get pretty sticky. I use a lube spray that have teflon in it. It doesn't seem to attract dust and dirt at least from my observations.

A graphite lube without oil might work pretty well, and not attract dirt.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:19 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Gordon, I would only suggest that you spray Boshield on something important (with moving parts), expose it to the elements for a few months, and at that point if you can tell me that you still think it is a lubricant, I will retract my statement. ...
I have been using it on the Scamp's door hinges (stored outside) since I bought the trailer almost a year ago. I will admit it seems to be best to refresh it every month or two, but I am happy with the results so far.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:22 AM   #13

New York
Registry
I love T 9 for my Scamp food hinges. Was the o,ly thing that took the squeak out of them. it does make sense

Old 09-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #14

New York
Registry
Oops. Posted before ready. It does make sense that the stabs should be a little stiff for storage. I have been comparing these to my 97 Dutchman pop up which is my only other experience. Same stabs, piece of cake to deploy.

As I said little Jack foot is a breeze to go down. I've looked for dry lube once for my wheelchair lift...I think that spray on graphite? Couldn't find at auto store I stopped at but I know it exists.

I use silicone spray on my tongue Jack as I read here once that is what atwood recommends. As far as I know these are atwood stabs.

The T 9 has wax in it and since it worked so well in my hinges I thought it would rock on the stabs. But they don't move as frequently or in same manner as a door hinge.

Silicone does wash out though.