Old 04-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #43
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Time for a good lawyer and another insurance company.
What accident is possible without contributory negligence on the part of the driver from an insurance company lawyer's perspective ? "Old Tires" sounds like evasion of responsibility on the part of the insurance company involved. They don't value an eight YO car for much anyway.
Are you sure that the individual's "contributory negligence" wasn't related to his driving? How often would a blowout really be the cause of a rollover?

The average age of my regularly licensed fleet is 16 years of age. I must confess I haven't replaced every part of each vehicle which has "rubber"components which therefore must be subject to deterioration.

Nice story... but how often (measured in time only) do you replace your wheel cylinder boots or the "rubber" part of your brake lines.
BTW; At least a hundred steel brake lines fail for every "rubber" line.
OMG The danger of fuel lines without a date stamp or what about the seals in the steering rack!!!
I know...I know... lets just use the production date on our cars and tow vehicles to make owners turn in their vehicles for scrap every 8 years? 3years? OK 10years.

Advice to whom it may concern.... better check the "date stamp" on that little package you carry around in your wallet, toss it out every eight years if you don't get a chance to use it.
Just reporting what I know. And if you think that auto insurance companies are being ridiculous, take a look at property insurance. I have heard some real horror stories from people who have owned "older" homes. And Floyd, you said "good lawyer." Isn't that an oxymoron?

Old 04-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #44

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi All,

I've read through all your wonderful, helpful and humorous posts and thank you for the great reads. From what I've read, looks like 80 pounds torque will work well. I think I read on Dexter 3 stage torque something like 25 to 35, then maybe to 50, and final. 75 to 80 pounds. I think those figures are a bit off though as my photographic memory isn't serving me well tonight!

Have a great day tomorrow everyone. My tires come in from Discount Tire tomorrow. They price matched for me, gave me freshest shipment, newest date code and were a pleasure to work with.

Best,
Wendy

Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #45

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Just reporting what I know. And if you think that auto insurance companies are being ridiculous, take a look at property insurance. I have heard some real horror stories from people who have owned "older" homes. And Floyd, you said "good lawyer." Isn't that an oxymoron?
You may well be correct, I have a friend who had fire damage from a lightning strike, 2-1/2 YEARS AGO. he is still in contention with the insurance company and the repairs are still not complete.
As for "good lawyer" being an oxymoron... I meant competent.
I have personally known at least one lawyer who was both competent and good, but maybe he just "proved the rule"?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #46
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You may well be correct, I have a friend who had fire damage from a lightning strike, 2-1/2 YEARS AGO. he is still in contention with the insurance company and the repairs are still not complete.
As for "good lawyer" being an oxymoron... I meant competent.
I have personally known at least one lawyer who was both competent and good, but maybe he just "proved the rule"?
Yep. The insurance companies are very happy to collect the premiums, but all too often are less than willing to follow through with their end of the contract. The newest game they play goes something like this: Furnace is 12 years old and unless you replace it, we are canceling your policy. Or, the landing at your back door is one step above the ground (maybe 9-inches). You need to install a railing or we can no longer cover you.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #47

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
And this is because America has become LAWSUIT CRAZY!!

Quote:
Yep. The insurance companies are very happy to collect the premiums, but all too often are less than willing to follow through with their end of the contract. The newest game they play goes something like this: Furnace is 12 years old and unless you replace it, we are canceling your policy. Or, the landing at your back door is one step above the ground (maybe 9-inches). You need to install a railing or we can no longer cover you.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #48

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Not to hijack the thread, but roof coverage is the latest scam around here, they won't cover roof damage if the roof is over 10 YO without a rider policy. they simply renew your policy without informing you, then send a piece of junkmail at a later time hoping it will be overlooked.
Don't start thinking your agent is on your side either.

"Yes Suh, AMOS... Ya know thu BIG print giveth an' thu fine print taketh away!"
KINGFISH
Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #49

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
And this is because America has become LAWSUIT CRAZY!!
It seems many people believe that anything in their lives that goes wrong is automatically someone else's fault and the courts should makes them whole.
But blaming this problem totally on the legal profession seems rather silly . Lawyers are in business and need clients to make a profit . When we run to an attorney looking for a free lunch then we are part of the problem.
Automobile accidents are now looked upon as a way to make money without having to earn it.
Lawyers may encourage this thinking but in the end we are the ones who initiated their actions.
My insurance company did raise my homeowner's insurance rates because my roof was 12 years old but to be fair they reduced the rates when I installed a new roof.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #50

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Lawyers are all about a "free lunch" but it's for them, not you!
Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 AM   #51
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Lawyer are in business and need clients to make a profit.
Basically, there are too many lawyers for the available legal work so they "chase ambulances" and promote suits over a bunch of ridiculous stuff, and we all end up paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Lawyers are all about a "free lunch" but it's for them, not you!
Yes, but it's more like a multi-course, very expensive dinner at a plush/exclusive 5-star restaurant!
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #52

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Don't we love to hate lawyers?!

Until you really need one...

But at least you don't need one to torque the lug nuts on your trailer.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #53

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Elite ll, Ram 3500 diesel
Northern Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

Yeah. But is sucks to worry about maybe needing one later if you torque them incorrectly. Better to be concerned about if it's done right for safety and to the manufacturere's specs, than to worry about being hassled by an attorney if you don't. So many things boil down to liability, instead of simple safety or common sense. Perceived liability is the go-to argument in so many discussions. It's tiring to hear so many arguments that something should be done simply to avoid any possibility of being sued or arguing with an insurance company.

I refuse to live my life simply trying to escape the clutches of the legal system. Lug nuts are the perfect example. I don't want the wheel to fall off, so I torque them properly. Not to avoid a lawyer, to avoid the wheel coming off.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:53 PM   #54

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
...I don't want the wheel to fall off, so I torque them properly. Not to avoid a lawyer, to avoid the wheel coming off.
My point exactly, as well as the OP's question.

I don't know why we're on this lawyer-bashing, fear-mongering tangent.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #55
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Don't we love to hate lawyers?!

Until you really need one...

Actually, you would need at least nine lawyers to torque the lug nuts:
One to do the actual wrenching if you could even find one willing to do actual labor, 3 on each side of the discussion as to whether the specified torque value is correct, and whether or not the one getting his/her hands dirty has cause to bring a suit because the lug nuts caused mental anguish resulting from dirty hands. Finally, one on retainer for each side to defend the civil suit of either side if the wheel loosens or is damaged, even if the lug nuts were correctly torqued in the first place. And the costs would be sky high for all the expert witnesses that would come into play. It would be better to find a high school drop-out to torque the lug nuts.....it's more likely it would be done correctly with less aggravation.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #56

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
To answer the original question.
My Dexter 3500 axle has 1/2" by 20 TPI (threads per inch) bolts.

Most charts for that bolt indicate 85 to 100 foot pounds be applied to DRY THREADS...

That means no oil, grease or anything else on the threads and be checked for proper torque after 100 miles.

The last part is especially important on aluminum wheels.