Made a Boler Fitted Cover today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2006, 11:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Boler
Well it was some work.

I had a very large tarp that I used to use with several bungee cords to wrap around the trailer but it was loud in the wind and a pain in the ass.

I got the idea from the fitted cover over my jet ski with the built in bungee cord that pulls it tight over the belly band on the hull of the jet ski.

I cut the tarp so it hung abound 1 foot below the belly band all around the trailer. Then made four cuts. One at each corner to the top of the roof.

I used spray glew and tuck tape and wrapped the tarp tight around the four corners. I am now in the process of curling up the bottom of the tarp and wrapping it around 30 feet of bungee cord.

The cover fits like a tight fitting toque. If I need in the trailer I just have to pull up one corner so I can open the door. It fits just loose enough I can keep the side windows open to let some air circulate.

Pics to follow tomorrow.....

- Kurt
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Kurt. IMHO, IF you have painted your trailer, I wouldn't use ANY kinda tarp for coverage other than the fabric lined ones that are used to cover cars/ trucks. These "tarps" available will do maore harm to your trailers paint than good. The wind (remember we DO have wind out here, LOL) will cause the tarp to shift over the body, maring the paint and also if its in the sun (remember that orange orb in the sky we get to see once in a while...?) the heat generated under the tarp will cause the paint to soften just enough that the tarp will "imprint" on the trailer body. I SEVERLY damaged the paint on my 1950 Merc by foolishly covering it with a tarp. (If I'da only known what harm it would do, I would have just left the Merc uncovered.)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt,
Have you talked to anyone who has a cover on their boat? To prevent condensation and mildew they actually have vents that allow air circulation. The boat covers also have bows which hold the cover away from the boat's surface.
On sail boats the covers go over the boom so the cover doesn't trap heat and moisture against the finished surfaces.
Before any damage is done you might at least re-think your design. The commercial covers are made from a fabric which has a very soft underside and which breathes while preventing moisture to flow through.
I'm sure a lot of us have considered your concept, but there are reasons why it hasn't actually been done.
Sorry to be a party pooper, but Doug Mager is on the right track.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Even if you don't have paint...a tarp that moves around with chafe the gel coat. If you insist on covering the trailer, consider putting pool noodles under the tarp. You can run rope through the noodle and tie that to the frame, then lay the tarp over the top. The idea is to get the tarp completely off the finish.

I wouldn't even use a cover designed for all weather use, the fabric lined type. Every grain of dirt or sand that gets embeded in the fabric finds its way to grind into the finish.

BUT, from the discription you've engineered quite the cover. Like to see some pics.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Donna,
Clever idea using the pool noodles to support the tarp. . We use brightly colored ones on the legs of our awning so kids don't run into them. More example of "thinking outside the box".

Kurt, please keep us informed on the results of your on-going saga.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Once you get it all done, you could use some foam pipe insulation to keep an air space between the tarp and the trailer. It's cheap and stiff enough so I think you could just slide it up underneath.

I think it will work.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I used some small foam strips I had lying around. It fits tight but not so tight that air won't circulate...its not shrink wrapped !!! I can still open the side windows and even the top vent - they are open now.

I can say though even without the foam that I would be surprised if any chaffing occurs it fits just tight enough its not sliding around. In my experience tarps are actually fairly smooth - the good ones anyway. I have wrapped up my jet ski and canoe for years (both are painted) and never had any problems with chaffing.

The main reason I covered it was my belly band has developed a small leak. Just enough water is pooling around the edge and it is slowly seeping in. Moisture in the trailer is my biggest enemy at the moment.
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kurt, it certainly sounds like you know what application will work for you.

Still would like to see pictures 'cause I like to see the things creative people come up with to solve a problem.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler