magnetic screen door - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Donna, I'm talking about the wood part. It's 1/8" thick, no way it's structural. Plus, the closet is on one side of the door, and the bunk support is on the other. The square tubing I'm leaving. I'll chuck the piece in and get a picture of it later.

Noreen, thanks for the info. I haven't heard back yet from them.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
While it may not fit the curve of the Scamp door (although by setting it back a bit it works on my Escape 17) the Vista Plus Screen Door takes up very little room & works well.

The link is to one of the Escape Forum's File Download pages.

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
That door, the Escape screen door, is totally cool. If I didn't already have one I liked, I'd definitely be looking into it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
The Escape screen door (Vista Plus) does have it's shortcomings. The dog sees right through it...and has jumped through it twice now. Even I walked through it once. So far, I'm not willing to paint a spot on it, or sew threads in it, just trying to live with it by being very careful. I did add a handle on each side to make it a little easier to grab. I've also found you need to slide it open and closed with equal pressure on the top and bottom. I'm also looking at supplementing it by adding a magnetic screen.
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
The more I read on this thread, the more I appreciate how well my Scamp screen door works.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #20

Kansas
I don't appreciate how it ruins 7" of seating space. That, and it's all horrid craftsmanship and needs to be redone anyway, if it's going back in.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #21

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Maybe it's not as bad as you think? Many people (me for one) would just curl into the corner against the side wall. I've camped with several other Scamp owners and have never had one complain about it. But everyone has their own personal preferences about their rigs, so you've got the right to personalize yours as you want.

But if you choose to remove the door, I don't think you'll have any problem reselling it. People love them scamp folding screen doors
Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #22

Kansas
It would be one thing if I could give it a coat of paint and revisit the issue later. However, there are saw cuts showing on the top piece over the opening, the piece in the picture is as rough as bark, and the piece that goes against the closet has uneven cuts on it, and it all has unsightly gaps, so it needs to be redone either way. I might still just do that, I was trying to avoid it, though. We'll see if I get an answer from the screen place.

I don't think I'll use the screen that much either, otherwise it wouldn't bother me as much. Unless its between 55-75, that door will be closed (at least if I'm at a place with power).
Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #23

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Yep, slivers are not a good thing, and it might be difficult to sand and paint that frame in place. Sounds like you are working on several options.
I'm a big fan of keeping my door open as much as possible. I even have a plastic curtain to hang in the doorway for inclement weather, so I can keep my heat inside and maintain a view to the outside. Maybe you can simply put plexi on your folding screen door if you want to open the big door more often
Old 04-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #24

Kansas
Now that's an interesting thought.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Jared, you got an awning and a screen door with your rig? I'm jealous! I got neither and I'm scrambling to find some.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Now here's a nice home made screen door.

New Wood Screen Door - Casita
Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #27

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That door, the Escape screen door, is totally cool. If I didn't already have one I liked, I'd definitely be looking into it!
Yeah, I really love how out of the way it is when open. We might use the screen 50% of the time, and it is nice to not have to deal with it when not in use.

I have had those screens that open with the door on stickies, and boy are they a pain to use. We I first looked at Escape, they too were using a bi-fold that I saw as a huge improvement for my needs, then when I saw the roll-up screen being used I was loving it.

We really have not had much issue with trying to go through it when closed, just once for me. Our dog has never had an issue, and can always tell when it is closed. The nice thing with it is, that if it even gets knocked out of its tracks, it is easy to put back in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I don't appreciate how it ruins 7" of seating space. That, and it's all horrid craftsmanship and needs to be redone anyway, if it's going back in.
Escape does the same thing for making a plumb opening in a curved wall, though the amount of curve is less. Kinda necessary, unfortunately.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
There was a forum from last year about these screens, Mine works well but I have a straight door

BUG OFF SCREEN DOOR