magnetic screen door - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #21

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Maybe it's not as bad as you think? Many people (me for one) would just curl into the corner against the side wall. I've camped with several other Scamp owners and have never had one complain about it. But everyone has their own personal preferences about their rigs, so you've got the right to personalize yours as you want.

But if you choose to remove the door, I don't think you'll have any problem reselling it. People love them scamp folding screen doors
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #22

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
It would be one thing if I could give it a coat of paint and revisit the issue later. However, there are saw cuts showing on the top piece over the opening, the piece in the picture is as rough as bark, and the piece that goes against the closet has uneven cuts on it, and it all has unsightly gaps, so it needs to be redone either way. I might still just do that, I was trying to avoid it, though. We'll see if I get an answer from the screen place.

I don't think I'll use the screen that much either, otherwise it wouldn't bother me as much. Unless its between 55-75, that door will be closed (at least if I'm at a place with power).
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Yep, slivers are not a good thing, and it might be difficult to sand and paint that frame in place. Sounds like you are working on several options.
I'm a big fan of keeping my door open as much as possible. I even have a plastic curtain to hang in the doorway for inclement weather, so I can keep my heat inside and maintain a view to the outside. Maybe you can simply put plexi on your folding screen door if you want to open the big door more often
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #24

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Now that's an interesting thought.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #25

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Jared, you got an awning and a screen door with your rig? I'm jealous! I got neither and I'm scrambling to find some.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #26

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Now here's a nice home made screen door.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ita-55442.html
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That door, the Escape screen door, is totally cool. If I didn't already have one I liked, I'd definitely be looking into it!
Yeah, I really love how out of the way it is when open. We might use the screen 50% of the time, and it is nice to not have to deal with it when not in use.

I have had those screens that open with the door on stickies, and boy are they a pain to use. We I first looked at Escape, they too were using a bi-fold that I saw as a huge improvement for my needs, then when I saw the roll-up screen being used I was loving it.

We really have not had much issue with trying to go through it when closed, just once for me. Our dog has never had an issue, and can always tell when it is closed. The nice thing with it is, that if it even gets knocked out of its tracks, it is easy to put back in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I don't appreciate how it ruins 7" of seating space. That, and it's all horrid craftsmanship and needs to be redone anyway, if it's going back in.
Escape does the same thing for making a plumb opening in a curved wall, though the amount of curve is less. Kinda necessary, unfortunately.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #28

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
There was a forum from last year about these screens, Mine works well but I have a straight door

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-36539.html
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:39 PM   #29

Name: Jessica
Trailer: airstream
New Jersey
damn it. was looking around for a more permanent screen door solution.
having very bad mood these few nights thanks to bugs and insects
sassyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:48 AM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
magnetic screen door

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyinpink View Post
...was looking around for a more permanent screen door solution...
This thread is from 2013. If you are looking for a screen door solution, you might want start a new thread with some details.

I notice your profile says you have an Airstream. As this forum is about all-molded fiberglass (“egg-type”) trailers, I’m wondering if you’re thinking about a fiberglass trailer or your Airstream. I thought they had screen doors...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote