magnetic screen door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #1

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
magnetic screen door

has anybody used one of these? I don't like the factory screen door in the scamp, due to it killing 6" or more of the couch.

It looks great to me. Install a rod, velcro the edges in place, and you have a screen door. The other 80% of the time, you can keep it in the closet out of your way.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
has anybody used one of these? I don't like the factory screen door in the scamp, due to it killing 6" or more of the couch.
Humm, the factory bi-fold on my trailer is mounted on the kitchen side, it doesn't kill the couch. Is the one on your trailer mounted on the other side? I love the bi-fold, it's complete out of the way when not used, but a snap to use when needed.

But, if you have a seamstress available, perhaps you'd like DannyH's solution: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-45033.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Is there a link to the magnetic screen door? I don't know what product you are referring to.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #4

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Humm, the factory bi-fold on my trailer is mounted on the kitchen side, it doesn't kill the couch. Is the one on your trailer mounted on the other side? I love the bi-fold, it's complete out of the way when not used, but a snap to use when needed.

But, if you have a seamstress available, perhaps you'd like DannyH's solution: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-45033.html
Yeah, it mounts on the kitchen side, but then there's the wood panel on the other side that goes against the couch, due to the trailers curve, so the screen door has a flat part to go against.

I like that one shown, but I would prefer not having to use a zipper every time I walk in. I have an email in to the company to see if they would custom make one to fit, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Is there a link to the magnetic screen door? I don't know what product you are referring to.
OOPS. Meant to put that on there. *Screens, Screen Doors, Instant Screen Door - instant walk through, magnetic screen doors*
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It doesn't have a zipper. It has magnets that hold the two parts together. That's why it is called Magnetic screen door. It's not that I'm endorsing it, it's just that I watch a lot of TV infomercials.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #6

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We purchased "magic mesh" and it didn't really work well for us. The magnets never did line up properly due to the curve of the door frame. There was a previous thread about these screens where one was mounted to exterior of the egg. I am going to try that this summer, hopefully get better results .
Farren and Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
It doesn't have a zipper. It has magnets that hold the two parts together. That's why it is called Magnetic screen door. It's not that I'm endorsing it, it's just that I watch a lot of TV infomercials.
I was referring to the one that Donna linked with a zipper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren and Heather View Post
We purchased "magic mesh" and it didn't really work well for us. The magnets never did line up properly due to the curve of the door frame. There was a previous thread about these screens where one was mounted to exterior of the egg. I am going to try that this summer, hopefully get better results .
Two things. I've found horrid things about magic mesh, period. Not as bad on this other one.

The other thing, what I emailed them about was if they would make it with a 90* curved panel, so it would actually be in the exact same spot as the factory one when installed. It could just be attached to the couch with a magnet or velcro. Then it would hang straight and work fine. The rest of the time, it would take a minute to remove the thing, and have full use of the couch.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #8

You could go with one of those bead curtains that are used all over Asia and have been for thousands of years. Keeps the flies out and requires no zippers or magnets.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #9

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You could go with one of those bead curtains that are used all over Asia and have been for thousands of years. Keeps the flies out and requires no zippers or magnets.
Eh,not really what I'm going for. A bug screen isn't either, but not nearly as bad.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #10

I'm just going to go stand in the corner and await the outcome.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #11

Kansas
haha, first hurdle is seeing if they will deviate from the standard screen. If they aren't willing to make a side panel for it, all bets are off. At that point, I might just do velcro and a screen to have something workable for now.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #12

Jared, the curved part of the door section, isn't just for the bi-fold door. It's SUPPORT for the door area. You may be able to change it to something else, but it's an important part of the structure. I've seen this same support in Scamp trailers that don't have the bi-fold door. You may be able to change it to something else that's a bit less intrusive, but I wouldn't remove it altogether. The actual flat part around the door is what the bi-fold fits to, not the curved part.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #13

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Jared, I put a magnetic screen door on my camper last summer. I bought the advertised one. Hung there was too much material....it was too long and too wide. I cut it shorter and put weights at the bottom, then took the extra fabric in at the sides. The magnets lined up fine for closing after walking through it. But with repeated use, the strain at the top pulled the velcro away. I then put a channel at the top and ran a rod through it. Still the strain started to pull the fabric apart. I'll reinforce that area this year when I put it back up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0954.jpg  
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I bought one for $14 bucks last month thinking that I could do something similar to what you are referring to. Maybe some close up pictures after you get it re-hung and reinforced.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #15

Kansas
Donna, I'm talking about the wood part. It's 1/8" thick, no way it's structural. Plus, the closet is on one side of the door, and the bunk support is on the other. The square tubing I'm leaving. I'll chuck the piece in and get a picture of it later.

Noreen, thanks for the info. I haven't heard back yet from them.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
While it may not fit the curve of the Scamp door (although by setting it back a bit it works on my Escape 17) the Vista Plus Screen Door takes up very little room & works well.

The link is to one of the Escape Forum's File Download pages.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #17

That door, the Escape screen door, is totally cool. If I didn't already have one I liked, I'd definitely be looking into it!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
The Escape screen door (Vista Plus) does have it's shortcomings. The dog sees right through it...and has jumped through it twice now. Even I walked through it once. So far, I'm not willing to paint a spot on it, or sew threads in it, just trying to live with it by being very careful. I did add a handle on each side to make it a little easier to grab. I've also found you need to slide it open and closed with equal pressure on the top and bottom. I'm also looking at supplementing it by adding a magnetic screen.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
The more I read on this thread, the more I appreciate how well my Scamp screen door works.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #20

Kansas
I don't appreciate how it ruins 7" of seating space. That, and it's all horrid craftsmanship and needs to be redone anyway, if it's going back in.