Maintaining an older scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Name: kanga
Trailer: scamp 16
Oregon
Maintaining an older scamp

What commercial care product do you recommend for maintaining the fiberglass exterior of an older Scamp?
Also, any suggestions on an application of the under carriage exposed wood? I'd like to extend the wood beyond it's 40 years of age now. Any help would be greatly appreciated
hiker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What you do with the exterior depends on how badly oxidized (chalky) the original gelcoat finish is. If it's still in fairly good shape, just wax it. Any regular automotive wax will do to protect the finish, but for a better (shinier) result use a marine fiberglass wax. Meguiar's and 3M both make suitable products.

If it's pretty chalky, both Meguiar's and 3M also make fiberglass restoration kits that include oxidation remover, polishing compound, and wax. Here's a link to the Meguiar's version: Meguiar's Oxidation Removal Kit

Another option for a high-gloss appearance is Zep floor wax. You'll want to clean it thoroughly and remove oxidation first. It wipes on, no buffing, and 4-6 light coats make a deep shine. It does have to be stripped and reapplied periodically. How often depends on your climate and how you store the trailer. A couple of years seems average.

My trailer just "graduated" from Turtle Wax to the Meguiar's kit. Our high-altitude Arizona sun isn't kind to gelcoat.

You shouldn't need to do anything to the wood on the underside. It was treated when it was built with fiberglass resin. The real key to keeping the floor in good shape is keeping water off the top. Floor rot is almost always caused by unchecked leaks from above: windows, vents, plumbing, even little things like the holes where the taillight wires pass through the shell.

Better to spend your time under the trailer removing rust from the frame and treating with a rust-preventing paint.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

Name: kanga
Trailer: scamp 16
Oregon
thanks Jon. What rust preventive product do you suggest for the steel under frame ? Have you ever used Fluid Film ? Its a nontoxic lanolin based protective. I read it is used in marine applications, so it should protect from road salt as well.
hiker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Not sure. Mine hasn't gotten there yet. POR is a product I hear mentioned frequently. I'm sure others will be along with better information.

A helpful feature of this website is the google site search. In the blue task bar under your log-in information, "Search," and scroll all the way down to "Site Search/Google." If you search on "POR" or "paint frame" or some such, you should get some good information from old posts.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:10 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I use fluid film on my vehicles but on my trailer frame I use paint. POR is recommended as the do it once solution but after reading the can at the local auto parts store, I decided against it.

I painted my frame last summer. After wire brushing the loose stuff I applied Rustoleum rusty metal primer. The next day I used Rustoleum satin black. In the past I've used Ace with equally good results. I think it's the same stuff. While being on your back under the trailer is no fun, the painting is quick.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:10 AM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I use fluid film on my vehicles but on my trailer frame I use paint. POR is recommended as the do it once solution but after reading the can at the local auto parts store, I decided against it.

I painted my frame last summer. After wire brushing the loose stuff I applied Rustoleum rusty metal primer. The next day I used Rustoleum satin black. In the past I've used Ace with equally good results. I think it's the same stuff. While being on your back under the trailer is no fun, the painting is quick.
I brush painted my frame last year with Rustoleum. Did you pull your Trillium up on ramps? My Scamp is pretty high by itself, but even on ramps, the painting job was a pain in the back, literally.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I brush painted my frame last year with Rustoleum. Did you pull your Trillium up on ramps? My Scamp is pretty high by itself, but even on ramps, the painting job was a pain in the back, literally.
With the trailer hitched to the tow I jacked up each side and inserted three 2x6's under each wheel. Gave me just enough room. Also, the Trillium frame is not as complex as the Scamp frame. I could do most of it from the side.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
You will find as many ways to wash and wax a trailer as there are people on here and they all may work.
Here is mine:
A few years back I washed my 79 Boler 1300 with TSP mixed with water and with very little scrubbing got all road dirt off then I put on MAX 3 floor wax in a red container from Home Depot. By the time I got around the trailer, applied with just a rag, once it was ready for the second coat and again with a third coat.
This gave it a shine like new fiberglass and lasted all season.
I give it one more coat at the end and begining of each season after a TSP wash to get dirt off'
One warning, as with any wax do not do it when there is a chance of any water getting on trailer while wax is still wet it will run down windows and leave streaks down the walls that will need to be De-Waxed.

As far as the frame I got under it with a wire brush attachment to my drill and make sure you use eye protection, get all grime and loose rust off frame then I put 2 coats of Rustolium paint.
It's been over 7 years now with no visible rust spots showing up yet.

Good luck
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp