Making My Scamp Shiny Again - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #21

Name: Jane
Trailer: Keystone Montana
Ohio
Smile Waxing fiberglass RV

I have a 2003 Montana Big Sky, 40 footer. Over 5 years ago I came across this site and it's been a lifesaver. My 5th wheel was very dull and I wanted to shine it and nothing worked in the way of waxes. Then I read about floor wax on this Fiberglass RV site. I used Bar Keepers to clean the dirty parts that wouldn't come off with anything else. Then I bought a gallon of Zep commercial floor wax. I did the back end first just because it was manageable. After the first coat I got scared because it looked terrible but the post I read said you might need a few coats. It took 5! But it looked like a new trailer. I am a 66 year old female so basically I waxed 5 forty foot trailers! The folks in my park couldn't believe how new it looked. The trailer sits outside all year in Florida sun. There has never been any yellowing and the dirt comes off a lot easier now when I wash it. Every year I do a follow up but it never needs 5 coats. This past year I gave it a three coat touch up and voila! Beautiful and shiny once again! I am a very happy camper.
Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #22

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to the forum Jane, that's a good real world hands on review you wrote.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Gel-Gloss

Got some Gel-Gloss for fiberglass at my RV dealer. Diluted it in water at twice the recommended strength, scrubbed Scampie down, hosed it off, results were excellent. It removes all the powdered oxidized FB layer, looks mint.
Frank M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #24

Name: Tyson
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Just finished my '78 Boler. Used Meguiar's No 49 oxidation remover (combination machine and by hand), followed by Mequair's No 45 RV polish; followed by a wax. Looks mint.

I kinda get the floor polish idea, but why not use specific products that are designed to do this? The Mequairs oxidation remover is great stuff, removes oxidation with not much effort.
solorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #25

Name: William
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 16
Washington
Won't go back to ZEP

A couple of years ago I stripped my Scamp and applied Zep Wet Look floor finish. At first I thought it looked great but it started to yellow. By the time I got disgusted and decided to strip I had a real job on my hands. I had to scrub using Zep wax remover and follow up with a scrub of BKF. I waxed with Collinite fleet wax and my Scamp is somewhat shiny and I believe it is well protected. I have come accept my 27 year old Scamp is not going to be as shiny as I would like it to be. Oh well. It still tows just fine and keep the rain off me as well as a new one. If you go the Zep route be sure to put the coats on thin. Otherwise you get runs and they look awful. When dry they require a careful scrape with a razor blade to get off. Save yourself some long term grief and clean your Scamp with BKF and wax with a quality marine grade wax.
Bill Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #26

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Its not often I come to this site having migrated to a 28' Bigfoot. But I still have my 17' Bigfoot and it needs some serious attention. Its sat for the last 5 years and has considerable black spots and a dull appearance.

Many years prior the go to product was Penetrol. I used in on my 13' and 17' Boler with good results. I don't know what the current thinking is on that product or if it is still mgf. I have two cans in my garage I was thinking of using.

And what are people recommending to get the black spots off?

Woah!! Just checked Amazon.ca A quart of Penetrol is around $160.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #27

Name: Jane
Trailer: Keystone Montana
Ohio
That's all well and good solorex if you've got a 17ft trailer but if you've got one my size and you're my age you go with what works well and is affordable and easy. This certainly works in my case so why not? Commercial floor wax is pretty tough.
The other thing is price, I priced something that was supposed to be for trailers (forgot now, was 5 yrs ago) it was $95 for a small bottle. I got a gallon of Zep High Traffic Commercial floor wax for $16 and still had left over after 5 coats on 40 footer.
Just sayin'
Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #28

Name: Tyson
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Hmm... the meguair's stuff i mentioned cost me $40 and I only used about half a bottle of each. Not expensive in my books, granted I am only polishing at 13' Boler.
solorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #29

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have tried a number of things over the years on my vehicles and trailers, none of which were good enough to stick to a single product.

My latest thing is Bow to Stern Protectant, aka BTS Protectant. I will pass judgment after this RV season ends, for us probably in November. If it gets a thumbs down I may try McGuires Ceramic Spray wax or maybe P&S Bead Maker Paint Protectant. Basically still looking. Don't want Zep or floor polish on a new molded fiberglass trailer.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #30

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
.... Don't want Zep or floor polish on a new molded fiberglass trailer.
THAT is the major take-away from all the floor polish discussion.. if its a newer gel-coat finish in good (or repairable) condition, then treat it as such. If the gel-coat is beyond repair or nearly so, then its time to consider alternatives such as floor wax or painting. (IMHO)
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #31

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Gordon, that is the problem, what to use on a new molded trailer? When I bought the Casita new in 2013 it never occurred to me to use anything other than wax. At the time I think I was using Nufinish at the time on my cars so I used it. It was ok. I went on the Casita forum, and jeez Louise, suddenly a world of waxes opened up. So then I started down this dubious road. I have a bottle of Widow wax I am trying to use up. Works well on my black Jeep.

After reading this, that, and the next thing I am confused. There is Beeswax, Carnauba wax (from a TREE for crying out loud, who knew!). Polymer protectants like 303 and BTS, Ceramic spray wax, Hybrids, Hard Wax, Liquid vs paste vs spray, WATERLESS wax systems...FLOOR wax, polishes (which differ from waxes apparently), Clear coat paint, and the list goes on...

I just hope I have not mucked up my new molded fiberglass trailer by using BTS right off the bat. I just really don't know what to apply to a new 2019 Big Foot travel trailer. I want protection first, shine second...but it sure is nice to have a great shine. Oh and I prefer to not have to apply whatever monthly. So the search goes on...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:49 AM   #32

Name: marant
Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Texas
ZEP then car wax?

2010 Escape 17B. Thought is was oxidized, but after a thorough wash decided it was just dirty. Still dull though.

Am part way through 4-6 applications of ZEP. Have used it for years on hardwood floors with excellent results. That, of course, is indoors with no UV problem.

I am curious, has anyone used ZEP then car wax? I plan on 2 coats of NuFinish over the ZEP in the theory that the NuFinish will take care of any UV problems.

Thoughts?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:42 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Read the instructions for NuFinish. If I recall correctly, it's not supposed to be applied over wax.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:14 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Escape recommends https://www.4uproducts.com/

My buddy has used it twice now and is very happy with the application and results.
After washing with 4U, I'm going to wash again with Simonize Wash 'N' Wax to restore shine.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #35

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
all the products

I tried all the products out there. My 95 fifth wheel never got any better. Broke down and had it painted. Best thing i could have done. New wherever i go they all think my rig is new.. Year old maybe. Places that are age restricted don.t care. Best investment I ever made. Just my two cents worth. ya'll have a nice day

sully
Old 10-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #36
CBG

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: scamp
United States
Penetrol?

Am on a horse trailer group and they use Penetrol to shine up painted metal. They say it works on fiberglass and plastic, too. Anybody here ever use it. I will try to attach a PDF of the directions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Untitled document (4).pdf (49.1 KB, 7 views)
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp