Marine-Tex? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-16-2016, 02:30 AM   #15

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Melody you have a lot of fear right now because you are facing things you don't know how to do or even what it is like to do them. Why not try to get rid of some of the unknown without attempting the actual repair?

Have a crafty play day with a small fiberglass repair kit.
Head to the hardware store or auto parts store. Buy a small fiberglass repair kit that has resin, hardener and some cloth. Get some gloves too and a couple of stir sticks, one of the small yellow spatula type of spreaders used for fiberglass work. Take an old object you don't care about such a plastic storage box with rounded edges or some container and cover it with the materials from the kit. Follow the instructions on the label for mixing.

I hated fiberglass when I first started working with it and it frustrated me, I don't enjoy working with sticky messy stuff to begin with. But then one of the professional repair people in my neighborhood taught me a trick I use often and that has made it much easier. Cover a board or other work surface with some plastic sheeting. A cut open thick plastic garbage bag will do just fine, tape it down so it does not move. Cut a piece of the cloth. Lay it on the board. Spread some resin on it. The cloth will turn from white to looking more translucent when there is enough resin on it. You don't want it to have so much that it is dripping off when you pick it up. Now drape it on the object you want to cover and smooth it down.

To reduce the stress of learning a new task try to relate the job to other task you may have done before because there are some similarities there.
Have you ever made lasagna? Flat noodles covered in sauce
Have you ever done paper mache with newspaper soaked in glue?
Have you ever frosted a cake?
Have you ever used sandpaper?
Very few of us reach an adult age without having done crafts as young kids at school or camps or having spent some time in the kitchen.
See ...you already do have some of the experience that will help make it easier.

If you do decide to delay the repair until spring you will have time to practice your skills. You can buy a whole bunch of fiberglass materials to practice with for the cost of a half hour worth of labor at a repair shop.

I had a hole 3 inches long in a complex curved area on my trailer to fix, it was not that difficult to do but it took some patience and thinking it through and some sanding and extra filler and more sanding. But mostly it just requires patience to take the time to get the surface just right rather than actually needing a lot of technical skill.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:52 AM   #16

Name: Melody
Trailer: Beachcomber
Saskatchewan
Awesome, thanks!

I have two days off. It's supposed to be 24c today and cloudy. Chance of rain tomorrow.

I've got repair supplies and thinking of taking the plunge...nervous though in case I open a bigger can of worms then I can handle in one day. If do the repair this afternoon, would I cover it with something before going to bed in case of rain?

Old 09-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #17

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody beachcomber View Post
Awesome, thanks!

I have two days off. It's supposed to be 24c today and cloudy. Chance of rain tomorrow.

I've got repair supplies and thinking of taking the plunge...nervous though in case I open a bigger can of worms then I can handle in one day. If do the repair this afternoon, would I cover it with something before going to bed in case of rain?
Fiberglass cures very quickly. Shouldn't be any issue for a repair to get rained on after it has hardened.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #18

Saskatchewan
Removed silicone, wasn't nearly as deep as I feared! is any Fiberglass work required?

How do I fix this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	99819
Old 09-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #19

Saskatchewan

Views:	9
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	99820
Old 09-17-2016, 10:15 AM   #20

Saskatchewan

Views:	10
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	99821
Old 09-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #21

Saskatchewan

Views:	19
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	99822
Old 09-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #22

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Now that you know what you are dealing with you and have made the decision to tackle it yourself you are ready to head over to this thread in the forum.
You Can Repair Fiberglass
Old 09-17-2016, 12:08 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
One thing to think about. Gelcoat is very hard and brittle while fiberglass is more flexible. Also in corner and edge ares of the mold a lot more gelcoat is applied (or works itself into the area during the molding process) so it is often much thicker, therefore much more brittle and prone to cracking if it is flexed. The cracks in gelcoat always look much worse than they really are but most of the time they don't penetrate into the fiberglass layer.
That looks like an impact damage so wherever the impact occurred there is probably damage to the fiberglass and needs to be repaired but a lot of the large cracks around the impact are just cracks in the gelcoat. It needs to be sanded off and be careful not to penetrate too much into the fiberglass in areas where only the gelcoat is cracking. Then repair the fiberglass. Others can give more specific advice on the actual fiberglass repair. If the dark spots are obvious holes they need to be repaired or covered from the weather.

If you removed all of the gelcoat from a trailer it would be ugly but still watertight. It could survive many years of harsh weather without leaking or dissolving or deteriorating from UV rays. You can buy bare fiberglass roof panels at Home Depot and they last decades in the sun and harsh weather.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #24

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
The "You Can Repair Fiberglass" thread mentioned earlier is a very good place to start. With the damage shown in the photos, at the minimum you're looking at some grinding and sanding, and then laying up some cloth on the outside, maybe on the inside as well (if the cracks go all the way through). Just remember, the first rule of working on fiberglass is to make sure you have a clean and solid sanded surface before applying your resin. Once I'm done the prep sanding, I give the surface a wipe down with acetone to make sure all grease, wax, oils, etc are completely gone.

It sounds daunting, but it's really pretty easy. Can be messy though, and as a recommendation if you're just starting out learning how to do fiberglass repairs, don't mix a lot of resin at first, because it can start to set up pretty fast. The best part about fiberglass is...if you f*ck it up, you can grind or cut it off and start again, easy peasy!
Old 09-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #25

Saskatchewan
Thanks, I can see what I'm dealing with but don't really know what it is. It looks like it's just the gel coat and the Fiberglass underneath looks untouched through through the holes. Those upper corners look like a lot of it is gel coat with maybe 1/8 " or a bit more space before reaching Fiberglass.

Regardless, the link to the repair thread contains tons of info, however I'm feeling pressed for time to do something now. (Don't have time to read through it all although had already read thru to page 6 or so before today) What I gleaned from it is that as Talia mentioned, I need to start sanding, and then put some glass on, even if the Fiberglass underneath is not damaged? It definitely is brittle, not sure what I'll end up with once started with sanding.

Hope some of you veterans will be around to respond this afternoon!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
Since the basic shape is still there it looks to me like during one of your very cold winters something impacted that corner of the trailer, doing more damage to the gelcoat than the fiberglass. Then during later freeze thaw cycles water got under the gelcoat and expanded causing the gelcoat to crack away from the fiberglass. You may just need to sand off all the gelcoat where there are cracks and look carefully for fiberglass damage. If there are no dents, holes or big cracks in the fiberglass you may be able to brush some polyester or epoxy resin over the area, sand it smooth and repaint.
Look carefully for actual damage to the fiberglass.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #27

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver River View Post
Since the basic shape is still there it looks to me like during one of your very cold winters something impacted that corner of the trailer, doing more damage to the gelcoat than the fiberglass. Then during later freeze thaw cycles water got under the gelcoat and expanded causing the gelcoat to crack away from the fiberglass. You may just need to sand off all the gelcoat where there are cracks and look carefully for fiberglass damage. If there are no dents, holes or big cracks in the fiberglass you may be able to brush some polyester or epoxy resin over the area, sand it smooth and repaint.
Look carefully for actual damage to the fiberglass.
Thanks!

Looks like I'll have to tape some plastic over it for now. Those clouds are turning into some precip. Back to plan D for today.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #28

Saskatchewan
Taped some plastic over it, brought in the foam cushions I had out to dry, walked the dog, now the sun is out. :/ Had an appt, bought more supplies, yet haven't accomplished much of anything today and it's after 3 pm. Don't know if I should take the plastic off and start sanding at this point or move on to cleaning the interior. Leaning towards the latter and putting this job off til spring. Apply silicone for winter?

Living in a condo s*cks. I was informed a few days after bringing trailer home and parking in my stall that trailers aren't allowed. Requested temporary exception while I clean the trailer and got it. That's running out and I've rented someone's driveway in another area of the city to park it until taking it out of town an hour to a friends acreage for winter. The best bet I think is to postpone the work until spring and then go out to my friends on a sunny warm day and get it done there. At least I'll have power, likely shelter if needed and no restrictions associated with condo life.