marine toilet vs portapotty/wag bag - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I don't find emptying a blackwater tank any more disgusting than a porta-potty.
I actually find emptying the a porta potty far more disgusting than emptying a blackwater tank.

Never had a problem finding a sani dump as there are a number of websites that will show you were the closest one is. For example some of the I5 highway rest stops have sani dumps you can use for free & many small towns also have free community ones. I also have never moved my trailer in order to dump the black tank only. If in one spot for a long time with no facilities I drain it to a portable tote but have honestly only had to do that once in 6 years. If you have a grey water tank you are going to need to find a place to dump that as well anyways. I also wouldn't go without a grey water tank either as I dont want to have to man handle a heavy bucket of grey water anymore than I want to lug a porta potty around. I often camp in places that do not allow an outside bucket of grey water (as it attracts wild life) or dumping of grey water on the ground so taking the extra couple of minutes to dump out the black tank is not an issue at all. Actually pretty clean and simple once you learnt how to do it correctly.

Have also never had any leak issues that we hear so much about when this topic comes up. Not that it cant happen just dont think its as frequent a problem as some appear to think. Suspect its like anything else- if you dont maintain/replace things you will eventually have a problem.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
The flush toilet offered in the park liner uses more water than my pedal operated flush sealand gravity toilet. If you are hooked up to a hose , then that is not an issue. If you need to rely on your fresh tank, water conservation is important even if the toilet is only used occassionaly.
Another issue for me with the park liner is if you choose the flush toilet, everything goes in to the same tank. You ought not to drain that stuff on the ground. I have no problem with draining my gray tank contents on the ground (I have a casita now which has separate black and Grey tanks). I also am interested in a park liner and I will choose the portapotty. I am considering retrofitting it with a Sealand 711-m28 if I can figure out how to drain the thing.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:56 AM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
If I had a 16ft camper, I'd be more likely to have a bathroom. With a 13, I want the space instead. Everyone has their own reason for wanting one or not wanting one - everyone's personal preference RULES!
...just like the choice to use dancing okra or banana
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 PM   #24

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Well as its raining cats and dogs here right now. . I'm sure glad to have my sealand toilet and shower. Rain jacket dripping in to the shower pan, and don't need to go out in rain to go use toilet. When I first got my Scamp I didn't use the shower or toilet for first 6 months just for storage.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #25

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I don't have a toilet in my camper at the moment. I am leaning towards a composting toilet as I have a separate shower area.

Does anyone have experience with a composting toilet? The people I know that have them tell me they like them.

I boondock almost exclusively.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I think composting toilets impractical for camping. True composting takes much longer than the few days/weeks one's typically out.

I see little point in adding bulking agent to one's "waste" for the purpose of then disposing of it in some garbage can....the only legal way to dispose of it. IF that's legal. One can't put such stuff in toilets, though depending on the wrapper it might be O.K. to put it in a campground privy. I s'pose one could haul it home and put it in a composter, but that seems like an awful lot of trouble.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've been searching for the threads about composting toilets and (right now) come up empty handed. But I remember the discussion concluded to: expensive, large and heavy. All things most all molded towable owners try to avoid.

On edit: FOUND ONE: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ita-55968.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #28

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Thanks Donna.

I considered the compost toilet before buying also.
But deemed it not fully suited for our use. So we went with the cassette.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #29

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Thanks Donna.

I considered the compost toilet before buying also.
But deemed it not fully suited for our use. So we went with the cassette.
Yes thanks for the link Donna. Some first hand feed back on that link. Just what I wanted. You are a helper personality type Donna--always helpful. Thanks again.

For my use, boondocking or located near 'facilities', I think it makes sense for me to go with a composting toilet. I looked into the incinerator types and all of those seemed high maintenance and big power draw. I am often far from any dump stations and have no desire to haul black water around or find ways to dispose of it.

I wish there was a way to save threads for future reference like you link Donna. Perhaps I'll just post something to subscribe to it
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #30

Name: Beth
Trailer: Parkliner
Maryland
How did it work out?

Katie how is it working out? I am in the exact situation. Just placed an order for a Parkliner with the standard portapotty but concerned I will have regrets.
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8t View Post
Is anybody willing to share their insights regarding which way to go for the bathroom situation in your trailer?

I'm looking for pros and cons, of both day to day activity/maintenance and maintenance issues a few years down the road.

We currently use a wag bag with the commercial Poo Powder enzyme, and it's been very effective for us. I thought it would be great to upgrade to a porcelain throne and be able to have it all just drain away, but now I'm second guessing myself with the management of a black tank.

Help! I'm having a last minute panic attack since I'll need to finalize any changes to my order really soon (!). Heck, it may already be too late, but I'd stilll love to hear any insights you're willing to share.

Or if there is already a thread on this here at FGRV, feel free to direct me there. I did a quick search but didn't come up with what I was looking for.

Thanks!
Katie
Doggonehappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #31
k8t

Name: Katie
Trailer: ParkLiner 2013
California
Hi Beth,

It's been 3 years since we took ownership of our Parkliner and we still absolutely love it, except for the porcelain toilet. We haven't used it other than as a container/bucket to line with our disposable wag bag and Poo Powder.

We're not ready to deal with the black tank. It's been so convenient to dispose of the wag bags, and then to come home and drain our gray water across parched landscaping with no worries.

I regret getting the porcelain toilet. We use the regular campground facilities during the day and evenings then fall back on our own system in the middle of the night or early morning when it's just too uncomfortable to head out for a quick trip. Then, it's a real treat to have any kind of potty handy. But, we haven't used the macerating toilet yet, other than to test the system now and then with clear water.

We've recently relocated to a town with more RV service places and we've seriously talked about having it removed. Haven't done it yet, but we talk about it each time we take the trailer out.

We have no other regrets with this little trailer. It's so comfortable and roomy, even for my 6'2" husband. It gets snug when we have our two 85 lb. labs with us but we all manage just fine. They find their places on the floor, one tucked under the edge of the bed and out of the way, and the other tucked in a corner somewhere.

Good luck on your decision!
Katie
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #32

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Does no one recall the "great out doors"?
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #33

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
We use the WAG bag system and a Lugable Loo with our Parkliner. It works well, and is easy to manage. (The Lugable Loo fits better in the space than the Cleanwaste/Pett folding toilet.) It's nice to be able to remove the toilet from the shower area when you do want to use the shower... gives you much more room.

If you go that route, a suggestion: Buy extra Poo Powder. What's supplied with each bag isn't enough for two adults/ one night.

-- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #34

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNEYCONE View Post
Does no one recall the "great out doors"?
LOL, that question reminds me of an experience I had a few years ago. I went on a mission trip to Peru with a Christian group in a city about a day's ride north of Lima. Riding the bus early in the morning on the way back, I kept seeing scatterings of local men standing 40 or 50 yards from the highway and, um, "utilizing" the great outdoors. The cultural norm was, shall we say, an eye opener.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #35

Name: Beth
Trailer: Parkliner
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8t View Post
Hi Beth,

It's been 3 years since we took ownership of our Parkliner and we still absolutely love it, except for the porcelain toilet. We haven't used it other than as a container/bucket to line with our disposable wag bag and Poo Powder.

We're not ready to deal with the black tank. It's been so convenient to dispose of the wag bags, and then to come home and drain our gray water across parched landscaping with no worries.

I regret getting the porcelain toilet. We use the regular campground facilities during the day and evenings then fall back on our own system in the middle of the night or early morning when it's just too uncomfortable to head out for a quick trip. Then, it's a real treat to have any kind of potty handy. But, we haven't used the macerating toilet yet, other than to test the system now and then with clear water.

We've recently relocated to a town with more RV service places and we've seriously talked about having it removed. Haven't done it yet, but we talk about it each time we take the trailer out.

We have no other regrets with this little trailer. It's so comfortable and roomy, even for my 6'2" husband. It gets snug when we have our two 85 lb. labs with us but we all manage just fine. They find their places on the floor, one tucked under the edge of the bed and out of the way, and the other tucked in a corner somewhere.

Good luck on your decision!
Katie
Thank you Latie! Your answer solidified (!) the situation for me. We are going with the portapotty for many of the reasons mentioned by you and others. .
Doggonehappy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:19 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The Parkliner uses a very good quality Marine Macerator toilet. (chopper and pump) You have to have power to flush the toilet. Installation requires a black water pipe run from the front of the trailer to the black/ grey tank inside the trailer shell. Also the toilet they use is very expensive about $1000 after market.
I like a gravity toilet and black water tank in my trailer. I almost bought a Parkliner and I was going to order it with a porta potty. The Parkliner toilet may be fine but I would not consider installing one after delivery.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote