Method of securing tanks under Burro trailer making me nervous! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Method of securing tanks under Burro trailer making me nervous!

Seeking advice from other Burro owners about the method of strapping black/grey/frech water tanks under their trailers. On the third day of our spring camping weekend over Easter, I pulled in to dump my grey and black and discovered that the perforated metal strap which held up the pipe run and dump valves had let go and the piping hanging in air and susceptible to breaking the welds ( I assume this stuff is PVC) at the joints. So I grabbed a couple of large wire ties (one around the frame member and the other thru that loop and around the dump pipe and drove home without incident. I removed the one sheet metal screw into the floor still holding the strap and discovered that it is probably aluminum and very easy to break as is most aluminum ( no fatigue limit means one bend and one back bend is all it takes to break). This would be no big deal except that I now notice that the same strapping is holding up all three of my tanks. That I am going to replace this crap before I leave something expensive on the road is pretty obvious. I assume this stuff is Escondido factory issue as I definitely DO NOT have a kit trailer. If you also have a Kalifornia Burro and have replaced this strapping, I would like to know what you used. Would galvanized steel be a good choice? Is there a better one? Thank you.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Perhaps opening the question to non Burro owners and posting some pictures will get you some ideas. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Perhaps opening the question to non Burro owners...
My Fiber Stream has solid steel banding/strapping commonly used to secure stuff to pallets. They drilled holes where needed to bolt the straps to frame cross-members.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #4

Delaware
Thank you. I believe I'm going with galvanized pipe hangar strap. Comes as 100' roll 3/4" x20 gauge under 20$. I will leave the current strapping and just double nearby.

jack
Old 04-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #5

Delaware
The catch on shipping pipe strapping was the wgt. which would have put the shipping cost at about 10 bucks at Grainger. Ace Hdware. had it in 10' rolls @ 3.39 per roll so got three. The bolts that secure the present strapping are thru floor and I would like to use them but may take some penetrating oil and heat to get the nuts off. If I fail to get the nuts off, I guess I'll sister the new right next to the old and have both. I can hold the tanks in position with blocking or a dead man IF I choose to replace the aluminum strapping.

jack
Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
My Fiber Stream has solid steel banding/strapping commonly used to secure stuff to pallets. They drilled holes where needed to bolt the straps to frame cross-members.
No need to BUY the strapping, Just go behind any business or company and pull a couple of chunks of Signode pallet banding out of the dumpster!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
The tanks on mine are secured with heavy chains. On the fresh water tank, as the picture shows, I found that there were two chains, but I didn't like the fact that one was almost in the center of the tank, so the tank dipped a bit on the end. Over time the setup stretched a bit, so I put turnbuckles on them making it possible to tighten them up if necessary.

As you can see I supplemented the two chains with a jury-rigged aluminum beam contraption, again making it possible to easily tighten things up if necessary.

As I look at the picture there is a ridge in the molded tank, and I would think that the tank was originally shaped with the idea of having some kind of flange holding the entire length of the tank. When the weather improves I will crawl under there and inspect once more, hopefully coming up with some ideas for better securing of these tanks. I have to report that I have had no failure of what is there now.
Attached Thumbnails
Tank hanger 1.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
All my tanks are held on by chains as well. No problems so far, I've personally towed about 12K miles, probably over 20K on the trailer.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Notice the rub supports displayed in Per's pictures. Those are important, unless you don't care the slight movement of the chains may rub holes in the tank(s).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #10

Delaware
Thanks Donna. Pieces of neoprene between straps and tank on mine. Anti-chafe is always a good thing!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking Help rub out chaffing!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Mine had chains and turnbuckle from the factory. I had no issues with chaffing or looseness in the 5 years I owned it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #13

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
My '83 Burro (13 footer) had an internal freshwater tank (11 gallon?) in the inside left corner under the dinette seat. This tank could be filled or a cold water inlet hose bib was also available so the one faucet in the kitchenette sink could work either way. It was equipped with a greywater drain hose bib and a drain tank that was placed next to or under the trailer while parked. That was the sum total of my plumbing. I don't understand the need for a fixed installation of a greywater or blackwater tank in a little Burro.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #14

Delaware
Charlie, we have the incredibly commodius (just kidding) 17 footer. A "big" trailer as Burro offerings went. I also have had thoughts that I could live without the hopper and the black tank but it's there, with a little cleanup and fixing, it works, it was one of the "list of amenitites" which held the price up to $5200, and many prospective buyers will want it and not understand why you and I might not. It's not a big deal to correct the strapping.

Tags
burro