Mini makeover...tips? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #21

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
Without Zippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
I'm hoping to get a few tips on how to clean up our 'new' trillium.

I don't want to do anything too serious until the winter...I really just want it to be clean and fresh...minor cosmetic things for now. Here are the 'top 10'...things I'd like to tackle first:

1. Exterior cleaning... Best cleaning product? Specific type of Spray Nine? What not to use? Quick restoration of gelcoat?

2. Interior cleaning...Best cleaning product on Ensolite (unpainted)?

3. Flooring/Glue removal...I want to remove old vinyl flooring. How can I remove the glue without sanding? Any chemical goop remover safe for fiberglass?

4. Seams...I've read about soaking the trim in hot water, but if this doesn't work, is there trim I can buy to replace it? I don't plan to paint the ensolite either.

5. Door handle...I'd like to replace the door handle...Does anyone know if and where I can get one?

6. Fiberglass repair...If I replace the door handle (with a working lock), I will need to repair small holes when I take the padlock off. Any fiberglass repair advice for screw holes?

7. Belly band...The black plastic strip around belly band is broken and portions of are missing. Anyone know if this can be replaced?

8. Frame...can I paint it without taking the fiberglass shell off the frame? What's the best paint for the frame?

9. Hubcaps...they are chrome but rusted. How can I make them look better?

10. Upholstery...I'd like to cover the cushions with something temporarily until I find the 'right' fabric (1970s retro pink and orange, maybe?). Someone mentioned using table clothes...bedsheets...has anyone done a slip cover without zippers? I can sew a bit. Love to see pics...

Your tips and ideas are very much appreciated...Thank you. Melanie
Melanie,

I covered all the cushions and did not use zippers. I did use welting on some of the cushions. Under Modifications and Alterations, checkout 1990 Casita re-do, February 13-16, 2011.
Making "pillow cases" for the cushions works, if you make them slightly narrower than the dimensions of the cushions. Wrapping the foam in plastic bags makes them easier to insert. I used strong thread (kite string) and a blind stitch to sew up the opening. I bought the fabric, about 3 dollars a yard,at a Wal-Mart. It's outdoor fabric for covering cushions on furniture.

For a less permanent fix, I'd wrap the cushions in fabric, like you'd wrap a pkg.. You might consider attaching some ties on the back side to adjust the fit...maybe using D-Rings.

Selecting fabric....avoid using a solid color. Pick out a pattern, or maybe one with a texture. Note that I used a solid color for welting. It just makes the job easier. Good Luck, Mona
monasimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #22

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I know that other's have suggested not not go up on the roof, but I've been up on mine without issues several times and so has my husband. I am about 140lbs and he's around 160 lbs. Obviously if you you don't need to go up there, that's the best way, but if know that other's have done it without issue. The sides are more solid than the middle because the sides have the cupboards giving them extra strength. Actually, by getting up on the roof I found very tiny holes that I didn't know were up there.

Our camper is now stripped of ensolite, but in the past I used soap and water to clean it. One time we had a lot of mold growth when my brother stayed in the trailer in the fall and condensation caused it to grow. I cleaned that with mild bleach solution and it brightened it up without issue.

I used 2 different types of "Goo" products on the floor tiles and both worked great. I believe they have a lemon oil in them. They actually made the fiberglass gelcoat shine and removed the sticky residue. On a side note, it also works somewhat on the contact glue that is used to glue ensolite to the fiberglass. It's not great, but it does help a little.

We're in the middle of doing a whole bunch of fiberglass repair. I took off the belly band and fiberglassed the whole thing. We also took out all the windows and the awning attachments. If you have a large area to repair the long strand repair is good, but for what you need, I would suggest the short strand fiberglass. We used bondo and it's very simple to use, sands down nicely, but goes set up very quickly so you have to move fast.

SOS will clean up the hubcaps but it won't completely get rid of the rust. Once metal has been oxidized you will have to pain over it to stop the rust coming through. I used sos on all the aluminum windows and it looked almost new. We also bought a special metal cleaner, but I haven't tried it yet.

For a temporary slip cover, why not make pillow case style with a flap and button attachment. That way it's snug, but easily removable. I know one of the local fabric stores has outdoor fabrics on buy one meter get two free on right now. I was able to buy a bunch of outdoor fabrics and a little vinyl for $5 a bolt at Habitat for Humanity a few years back, so keep your eye out or even as them to call if something should come in.

We bought our "butyl" tape at a local rv store. It's really putty with some butyl in it. I think it was $11 per roll and did does about one large (front or back) and one mid-size (side back windows) per roll.
BarbT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #23

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
Melanie

Since you're in Halifax I would check out Fraserway RV in Bedford. They have butyl tape by the roll and also the rubber trim for the belly band. Most of the trim I have seen sold in stores are not as "heavy duty" as the original but I have seen some mail order places listing two different grades of vinyl trim.
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #24

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Butyl tape is cheaper at a hardware store.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Melanie

Here's my two cents...

Quote:

4. Seams...I've read about soaking the trim in hot water, but if this doesn't work, is there trim I can buy to replace it? I don't plan to paint the ensolite either.

5. Door handle...I'd like to replace the door handle...Does anyone know if and where I can get one?

6. Fiberglass repair...If I replace the door handle (with a working lock), I will need to repair small holes when I take the padlock off. Any fiberglass repair advice for screw holes?

10. Upholstery...I'd like to cover the cushions with something temporarily until I find the 'right' fabric (1970s retro pink and orange, maybe?). Someone mentioned using table clothes...bedsheets...has anyone done a slip cover without zippers? I can sew a bit. Love to see pics...

Ensolite and seams:
Since you're not planning to paint/replace the ensolite, it might be best to just leave the interior seam molding in place. It and the ensolite clean up very nicely with ordinary cleaners like Fantastic, as long as you rinse well (leaving the cleanser on too long can dry/damage such flexible "plastics"). I find a soft brush helpful on the textured ensolite.
Door handle:
I second (third?) the suggestion that you take the doorlock to a locksmith for "repair", especially if its only problem is missing keys and frozen parts. It's very easy to remove from the door. It cost me twenty-five dollars for a locksmith to clean mine up and cut a couple of keys.
Padlock screwhole repair:
Filling these isn't a problem- bondo or even epoxy will do- but finishing is. Matching the gelcoat isn't easy, and if it's not exactly right it'll stick out badly.
A better solution for me has been to use little nylon plugs, neatly aligned. If you can't hide it, decorate it, I always say!
Hubcaps:
Wet sand and paint them!
"Temporary covers" tip, if your dinette is the same as mine..:
Fitted sheets for baby cribs are the same dimensions as the dinette seats and come in all kinds of fabrics and colors. The two odd corners can easily be sewn to the odd corner shape, but if the sheets are stretchy, just tightening the elastic gives a pretty good fit.
And "body pillow" covers fit the seat backs.

Hope this helps!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #26

Name: M
Trailer: 1977 13' trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
1240 lbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McVeigh View Post
Melanie

Since you're in Halifax I would check out Fraserway RV in Bedford. They have butyl tape by the roll and also the rubber trim for the belly band. Most of the trim I have seen sold in stores are not as "heavy duty" as the original but I have seen some mail order places listing two different grades of vinyl trim.
We stopped there today after weighing our camper at my husband's work...the service department was closed! My husband drives by it everyday - so thanks for the recommendation...very convenient. We should be able to get an inspection there as well.

For the record...our 1977 trillium 1300 weighed in at 1240 lbs - completely empty...no spare, no propane, no porta-potty, no furnace...no modifications either. I was a bit disappointed really.
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #27

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks again for the tips...what a resource you all are!

I finally got a chance to get in 'little t' with a bucket of hot water and a bottle of Mr. Clean (the fresh orange kind). It smells so good! There wasn't much to cleaning it...a few black spots on the ensolite but overall most stains came right off. I was going to get out the bleach but it gives me such a headache...I'm now considering my options. Peroxide was mentioned and tsp...but will any product 'whiten' like bleach? I feel like I should just do it since it's completely empty.

As for the cushions...I plan to lay the foam out on a tarp tomorrow in the backyard and clean them with the garden hose. What is the best detergent to use?

I looked around the city a bit for fabric we all liked but we didn't see anything suitable...and it was all very expensive! $25/meter! So...I bought off-white queen size flat sheets to make 'inner' covers for the cushions. $5 each at Zellers! My plan is to keep them on and cover over them with the 'final' removable covers when I find the right fabric. In the meantime, I have some solid orange fabric I may use to make 'pillowcases' (as suggested) to brighten it up inside...great idea, thank you!

The more we clean...the more we love it. I claimed we bought the trillium to hold us over until we found our boler...but I don't know...this may be the one!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:

As for the cushions...I plan to lay the foam out on a tarp tomorrow in the backyard and clean them with the garden hose. What is the best detergent to use?
!!!RED ALERT!!!

Hi, Melanie...
Just to let you know that I cleaned my cushions that way IN AUGUST and it took them nearly a whole month to get completely dry.
I kid you not- I went on a trip in mid- September and had to put a towel under me on the dinette bench 'cause I was getting wet cheeks-
and I do NOT mean on my face!
That nice dense foam they used back then is real high quality, but it'll soak up a lot of water...

Francesca
Old 07-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #29

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / 2002 Honda Odyssey
I second that warning! when I washed our cushions I had to use a 4" plastic tube (piece of PVC drain pipe) to roll/squeeze the water out of them and it still took a really long time before they were dry enough. also if you leave them out in the sun the foam will likely turn dark orange..

Kev
Kevin Poll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #30

Nova Scotia
Registry
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I didn't wash the cushions.

Is there something I can spray on to freshen them up a bit?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #31

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:

I wrestled most of my cushion covers off and washed them in cold water, and then air dried them. They didn't shrink hardly at all. Then I wrestled them back on the cushions. They are made from an Olefin woven upholstery material that they used in the 1980's. There were 3 covers that had the zippers frozen shut so I couldn't wash them. I considered using the hose on them, but I'm sure glad now that I didn't!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #32

Trailer: 71 Boler
If there's an automotive detail shop near by they usually have an ozone generator which will take out any smell. I used to have a detail shop so I have the machine still, I don't know where you're located but you'd be welcome to borrow mine. Leave it in the trailer over night and there won't be any smells left
Brian Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #33

Registry
Quote:

Hi, Melanie

Laying your cushions out for "an airing" on green growing grass is an old housewife's trick, chlorophyll being a natural deodorizer.
When there's no threat of rain, of course!
Leave them for a day or two, turning once or twice.
And of course, there's always Febreze.

Francesca, an old housewife
Old 07-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #34

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Painting the Frame

If you do attempt to paint the frame and jack up the body enough to get brushes in there make sure you pay close attention to your gas lines. My Boler has copper gas lines running to the stove, fridge, and heater. The fittings are now antique by definition but no leaks yet. (knock on wood) I can't imaging they would flex enough to jack up the body to much.

But I am curious about doing some frame repainting myself. If anyone has experience please chime in.

Thanks,
Mark
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #35

Nova Scotia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
You can use the oxidation cleanser and wax if you want to after all it's yours..But you will work you butt off for very little results, believe me "I'VE BEEN THERE DONE THAT" several times and it not worth the effort..Try the REDMAX way believe me you will be glad you did, BarKeepers Freind will clean it better than just about anything out there and 2 cans will cost you every bit as much as 3 bucks total and you will probably have some left over..And a gallon of RedMax cost around 15 bucks and thats enough to do 5 or 6 campers...as i said you choice....
Randy,

I finally found Barkeepers Friend here in Halifax - how do I use it. Like a paste or diluted in water? $3.99 a can.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #36

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Quote:
Randy,

I finally found Barkeepers Friend here in Halifax - how do I use it. Like a paste or diluted in water? $3.99 a can.
What I do is wet the rag sprinkle it on and scrubb away..Repeat....Repeat...Repeat..After awhile you can tell how much and how often you need to re-apply it to the rag.......
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #37

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Frame painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
If you do attempt to paint the frame and jack up the body enough to get brushes in there make sure you pay close attention to your gas lines. My Boler has copper gas lines running to the stove, fridge, and heater. The fittings are now antique by definition but no leaks yet. (knock on wood) I can't imaging they would flex enough to jack up the body to much.

But I am curious about doing some frame repainting myself. If anyone has experience please chime in.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark,

I paint the frame on our rigs every year, but not to the degree many do on the site.

On the Scamp I can just crawl under with a Rustoleum spray can and spray the frame. I plan on doing it every year. Generally most surfaces are fine after a year though the leading edge surfaces can take a beating on dirt roads. I also spray the entire bottom the same color, in the Scamps case white.

We formerly had a Sunline and I have jacked that up to paint it's frame and Aluminum bottom, black in that case. I simply jacked up each side and put cinder blocks fore and aft under the frame members.

On our Scamp 16 I think I used 5 cans of Rustoleum to do the frame, bottom and the insides of the fiberglass side walls that show underneath.

At one time I had planned to use white Herculiner (truck bed paint) on the bottom but have not done it yet.

I choose white because the former owner had put brushed rustoleum white on all non-underneath frame members.

As to the gas lines, it's a good opportunity to look at them. We have been on some pretty rough, long gravel roads and we have not seen a problem. The copper is pretty flexible.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #38

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
I had very good luck with Mr. Clean erasers on both the interior and exterior. When I got my green trill, it had lots of black mold and white chalk. The eraser took it all off. It does take a bit of the sheen off the exterior, but I'm building it back up with Zep Laminate Floor Polish from Home Depot.
The eraser did wonders on the ensolite as well.
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #39

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:

An old hot rod trick, clean off the rust. Maybe Naval Jelly. Then get quality aluminum foil and rub the rust spots. The aluminum foil transfers to the rusty rough areas. It won't be as shiny as chrome, but will look better. Spray with CLEAR spray paint to seal.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #40

Name: joy
Trailer: 75 trillium
Nova Scotia
I also washed my trillium cushions which were filthy, had no covers on them. I filled the tub with hot soapy water and oxiclean and soaked them a while then began to squish them around till the water looked like chocolate milk! It took me 4 tubs of hot water before the water was clean and then I squeezed out what I could, took them outside and stood them up till some of the water moved down the foam by gravity and squished some more, then my husband stubbornly mashed them into the washing machine and spun them. A couple days out in the sunshine and they were nice and dry and smelled good. A lot of work to do all six cushions but better than having to buy all new!
joygup is offline   Reply With Quote